Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Report: Canucks will send Juolevi back to London

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Report: Canucks will send Juolevi back to London

Quote Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
    I'm guessing your making a joke given the recent trend in Vancouver housing?

I hope you are...cause you absolutely could afford a house on an ELC.
    Yeah, it was meant to be a joke. But you couldn't buy a house, maybe a condo, outright on an ELC (after taxes). If I were making NHL money ideally I wouldn't be making payments on anything.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
    I'm guessing your making a joke given the recent trend in Vancouver housing?

I hope you are...cause you absolutely could afford a house on an ELC.
    In Vancouver, I'm not sure you could. You're paying about 50% tax on that, so you're at about $475k right off the bat. Then you have agent fees (5%), other advisor fees (call it 5%), escrow (15%). Maybe in the suburbs you'd be ok, but in Van? Nope, I think it would be tough to have general living expenses and buy a house immediately on ELC.

Dobber Sports Deity

Good motivation for him to come in and force their hand.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Expert

Not a surprising move. He needs work, he's not close to being NHL ready.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I mean. That seems really irresponsible to announce publicly before they've even had training camp, but whatever.
    We all rail against teams that keep 18 year-olds in the NHL saying that kids should be allowed to develop and it is a team's responsibility to ensure that happens. Drafting is only one part of the equation. Development is another. When a team says "this asset will be allowed to continue his development against the best competition in his age group", you then say it is irresponsible. Come on man!
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    We all rail against teams that keep 18 year-olds in the NHL saying that kids should be allowed to develop and it is a team's responsibility to ensure that happens. Drafting is only one part of the equation. Development is another. When a team says "this asset will be allowed to continue his development against the best competition in his age group", you then say it is irresponsible. Come on man!
    I've never railed against teams keeping young players if they earn their spot. It's irresponsible for teams to force young players into positions they can't handle, and teams should be criticized for that. This is simple a statement that doesn't need to be made publicly. It implies performance is irrelevant to their team construction. It's a bad message to send not only to Juolevi, but the rest of their team and prospects. "We have this plan that has already been decided, so you're shit out of luck". They can have this internal plan all they want. Yes it is dumb/irresponsible to vocalize to the media this early in the summer.

Dobber Sports Genius

I've never railed against teams keeping young players if they earn their spot. It's irresponsible for teams to force young players into positions they can't handle, and teams should be criticized for that. This is simple a statement that doesn't need to be made publicly. It implies performance is irrelevant to their team construction. It's a bad message to send not only to Juolevi, but the rest of their team and prospects. "We have this plan that has already been decided, so you're shit out of luck". They can have this internal plan all they want. Yes it is dumb/irresponsible to vocalize to the media this early in the summer.
    I respectful disagree. I want the GM of my team to come out and say, "18 year old D men in our organization will be developed in secondary leagues." I think this is smart player development/asset management/cap management.

I respectful disagree. I want the GM of my team to come out and say, "18 year old D men in our organization will be developed in secondary leagues." I think this is smart player development/asset management/cap management.
    Cool. We can agree to disagree.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Rookies rarely buy houses. I think they usually wait around their 2nd contract to do that? Didn't veteran players usually take rookies to live with them?

But yeah, really weird to announce this so early.
    Yes, definitely understand that... was just using it to express that this takes away the stress of uncertainty for this upcoming season

Dobber Sports Genius

Cool. We can agree to disagree.
    Yup. We can. And that is OK.

Backstory: I have very strong beliefs that 18 year-olds should not be playing in the NHL. I do not think that 18 year old human bodies are ready to withstand the punishment of today's NHL. More specifically, shoulders are not physically mature. I will acknowledge that occasionally 18 year-old man-children do come into the league. I would contend that they are the exception, no the rule.

Yup. We can. And that is OK.

Backstory: I have very strong beliefs that 18 year-olds should not be playing in the NHL. I do not think that 18 year old human bodies are ready to withstand the punishment of today's NHL. More specifically, shoulders are not physically mature. I will acknowledge that occasionally 18 year-old man-children do come into the league. I would contend that they are the exception, no the rule.
    Ekblad, McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, Laine, Monahan, etc. Juolevi right now is more physically mature than Gaudreau/Kane ever will be for example. But that's fine if that's how you feel.

Dobber Sports Genius

Ekblad, McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, Laine, Monahan, etc. Juolevi right now is more physically mature than Gaudreau/Kane ever will be for example. But that's fine if that's how you feel.
    I know I'm not convincing you of anything at this point. I am not alone in my line of thinking. I have no problem with a GM coming straight out after the draft and saying my player will spend the next year in the OHL. I do not think it is "irresponsible", far from it.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/11/05...cdavids-injury

"Would anybody have withstood that impact that he did? I'll start by saying 'no' to that," said Dr. Douglas Stoddard, Medical director at the Sports & Exercise Medicine Institute in Toronto. "Whether he was 25 or 30 or much stronger, it would have been a miracle if anybody hit the boards like he did and came out of it without a significant injury."But I do agree in principle that younger athletes are more susceptible, especially in contact sports just because they are less developed, not as strong and not as heavy as they will eventually be." It is partially for this reason why some teams almost always make their top prospects wait a year or more before bringing them into the league. In an interview with Postmedia News last month, Arizona Coyotes GM Don Maloney said third-overall pick Dylan Strome was talented enough to play in the NHL, but sent the 18-year-old back to Erie because he was concerned with how his body would hold up playing against men. "For me, it's the physical demands," said Maloney. "I'm very reluctant to put young players who are physically maturing into positions where injuries could occur. You see that all the time. It's one ordinary hit and -- bam! -- the shoulder's gone and they're set back." Maloney did not name names, but you have to look only at past Oilers No. 1 picks Taylor Hall and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, who suffered ankle and shoulder injuries, respectively, as 18-year-olds in the NHL, to know who he was referring to."Connor is not filled out," said Nichol, who was previously employed by the Leafs. "Regardless of what he does from a training standpoint, he'll be bigger and stronger and more muscular three years from now. It's not about one individual hit or collision, but the accumulation of night after night of banging bodies with 30-year-olds who have built up that resiliency. "There's not a lot of exercises in the gym that can replicate getting smashed into the end boards by Dustin Byfuglien."

(not gonna lie, I cut/pasted the good stuff for effect)

Dobber Sports Guru

If Kenny Holland publicly made this statement, folks would praise it as one of the things that has kept Detroit great. Vancouver does it and they're shredded.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I would bet that the driving force behind them announcing it this early is to temper fan expectations.

Dobber Sports Ace

You guys are getting a bit carried away on a 140-character tweet.

The Canucks have said they'd love for Juolevi to come in and make the team - both Benning and Linden have said that - but they're being realistic in that he probably won't, much like most 18 year old dmen. The London comment is also because there's rumours that Juolevi could play in Europe this season.