Thread: Aaron Sanchez getting moved to the bullpen?

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Aaron Sanchez getting moved to the bullpen?

Any reason why they would do this when he is doing so well as a starter? Im watching sportscenter and they keep saying they might do that

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Aaron Sanchez getting moved to the bullpen?

It was established prior to the start of the season my friend. Don't want to damage the arm long-term, no matter how well he's doing this year. The rotation will take a hit for sure.

I mean this is purely anecdotal but look at what has happened to Harvey and Syndergaard in New York this year. There have been plenty of discussions around this topic and the merits of it on the internet if you have time to peruse it.

Dobber Sports Master

I think it has something to do with his pitch count. Makes no sense to me either, but it sounds similar to what happened to S. Strasburg a few years ago. I guess they know better than I do when it comes to the "health" of their players...

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Monster

Thanks for the responses. Kinda thought it might have to do with pitch count.

Dobber Sports Titan

Except I don’t think it’s a 200ip cut off thing. I think it’s a fluid number based off of “stressful IP” and “full effort throws” are taken into account.

But I don’t see how one can move him after how well he’s done. But I 100% understand why they would.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Giant

They have been saying this since the start of the season. When he hit 90-something innings, there was talk that he may be kept in the rotation due to his strong play this year. I read somewhere that the Jays would not risk an injury to him based on numbers alone and that they would evaluate Sanchez in the coming weeks to see how his arm holds up with the extra innings/pitches and take it one game at the time.

I did not see the report today on Sportsnet, but if they are saying this, he may have voiced some sort of fatigue/discomfort after his last game (a gem btw) and that may have brought back the topic on the table.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Immortal

I hope they do whatever gives them the best chance to win. End of story.

Look at the Nationals in 2012 or whenever that was and the Blue Jays don't have Bryce Harper or Stephen Strasburg

Dobber Sports Titan

The topic is being brought up by the brass after every game, and they are taking it 5 days at a time. As HR said, it is a fluid plan, but I think it is inevitable that it does happen at some point.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Garbage!

Let him pitch.

Nat's sat/limited Stasberg and how'd that work out for them (tommy John)
    Harvey and Synderguard pitched through... And they're both hurt.

This isn't an exact science. We didn't see this happening years ago where over all pitch counts where much higher.

This has more to do with the individual pitcher IMO and their own mechanics. Sanchez is so smooth in his delivery. Whether he's limited or allowed to continue to lead this staff, I don't see that being a cause for injury in his case. But that's just my own non-medical opinion.

Just seems to me that Tommy John is on the rise at a parallel rate as this phenomena of babying young pitchers is.

"We're in a position to win... Let's use ALL our tools... " is what I want to hear and see from the Jays.

Dobber Sports Titan

How good is he actually gonna be out of the pen too? Floyd had tons of trouble adjusting from SP to BP guy this yr then eventually settled in. Sanchez has been geared for marathon throwing all yr, a switch to a sprint may actually be what hurts him.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    How good is he actually gonna be out of the pen too? Floyd had tons of trouble adjusting from SP to BP guy this yr then eventually settled in. Sanchez has been geared for marathon throwing all yr, a switch to a sprint may actually be what hurts him.
    Sanchez showed last year that he can make the change pretty seamlessly, but I agree that the "sprint" throwing, may not be good for him.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Seems smart, let's rest Sanchez for when the Jays are rebuilding again in a few years.. Seems very wise!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..