Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Jonas Brodin - any faith in him?

Administrator

Default Re: Jonas Brodin - any faith in him?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Draft picks in deep leagues are not as valuable as people think they are.
    They can also be held on to and traded for something far more significant than Brodin.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

Give me Brodin over even a 2nd round pick in a league that deep. Which player is more likely to help a fantasy team:

A 23 year old who plays 20+ minutes per game but has a career high of 19 points

OR

a 2nd round pick that has a 55% chance of never playing in the NHL?

Just for fun, here's the 2nd round of the 2006 NHL Entry draft. (I chose 2006 because it was 10 years ago)

Tomas Kana
    Carl Sneep
    Igor Makarov
    Michal Neuvirth
    Francois Bouchard
    Jamie McGinn
    Yuri Alexandrov
    Bryce Swan
    Andreas Nodl
    Ondrej Fiala
    Cory Emmerton
    Mike Ratchuk
    Riley Holzapfel
    Nikolay Kulemin
    Jeff Petry
    Johnas Enroth
    Shawn Matthias
    Joey Ryan
    Ben Maxwell
    Milan Lucic
    Nifel Williams
    Keith Seabrook
    Mathieu Carle
    Artem Anisimov
    Denis Bodrov
    Blake Geoffrion
    Mike Weber
    Alexander Vayunov
    Codey Burki
    Jesse Joensuu
    Simon Danis-Pepin
    Dick Axelsson
    Jamie McBain

I have bolded people who would have been more valuable than what Brodin has done so far. I have italicized those that are similar value. 2 of 30 would have been better while only 3 others were of similar value. Here are the names of people from the 2nd round NHL Entry draft in 2007 that had simlar or more value than someone like Jonas Brodin:

PK Subban
    Wayne Simmonds
    Nick Spaling

Your bolding needs some work as there are other options on there that you have conveniently missed, or just didnt look hard enough at.

Mike Weber has one less point for his career, but is a better fantasy option than Brodin because he hits, blocks and takes PIMs (something Brodin does not do as well).

Jamie McBain has played in more games than Brodin, and also has more points. I wouldn't say he's a better option per se, but he is just as good as Brodin and you forgot to bold him as well.

Matt Carle is a MUCH better fantasy asset than Brodin, and he's not great at all.

Jamie McGinn has also, when healthy, proven to be a better fantasy asset than Brodin.

I'd even take Shawn Matthias over Brodin for fantasy purposes.

I am sorry, but Brodin is a fantastic real-life Dman who has left fantasy GMs waiting and waiting for something.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Your bolding needs some work as there are other options on there that you have conveniently missed, or just didnt look hard enough at.

Mike Weber has one less point for his career, but is a better fantasy option than Brodin because he hits, blocks and takes PIMs (something Brodin does not do as well).

Jamie McBain has played in more games than Brodin, and also has more points. I wouldn't say he's a better option per se, but he is just as good as Brodin and you forgot to bold him as well.

Matt Carle is a MUCH better fantasy asset than Brodin, and he's not great at all.

Jamie McGinn has also, when healthy, proven to be a better fantasy asset than Brodin.

I'd even take Shawn Matthias over Brodin for fantasy purposes.

I am sorry, but Brodin is a fantastic real-life Dman who has left fantasy GMs waiting and waiting for something.
    Brodin just turned 23 and was drafted in 2011 so he's 5 years younger than these guys.

Weber had 23 NHL games and 3 NHL points after his 22 year old season.
    McBain has had two seasons with more than 17 points and is doubtful to ever do that again. Brodin has 10+ season left to match that.
    Jamie McGinn had 25 points total in 3 NHL seasons at the age that Brodin is right now.
    Shawn Matthias had 36 points total in parts of 4 NHL seasons at the age that Brodin is right now.
    Mathieu Carle is not Matt Carle. Mathieu Carle played 3 NHL games with zero points and has played in Europe for the past 5 seasons.

Even if you'd rather have all of these guys over Jonas Brodin, that's six guys out of 30 or a 20% chance of getting someone that's better than Jonas Brodin as a 20, 21 and 22 year old. That's not a chance I'd be willing to take.

Dobber Sports Deity

Brodin just turned 23 and was drafted in 2011 so he's 5 years younger than these guys.

Weber had 23 NHL games and 3 NHL points after his 22 year old season.
    McBain has had two seasons with more than 17 points and is doubtful to ever do that again. Brodin has 10+ season left to match that.
    Jamie McGinn had 25 points total in 3 NHL seasons at the age that Brodin is right now.
    Shawn Matthias had 36 points total in parts of 4 NHL seasons at the age that Brodin is right now.
    Mathieu Carle is not Matt Carle. Mathieu Carle played 3 NHL games with zero points and has played in Europe for the past 5 seasons.

Even if you'd rather have all of these guys over Jonas Brodin, that's six guys out of 30 or a 20% chance of getting someone that's better than Jonas Brodin as a 20, 21 and 22 year old. That's not a chance I'd be willing to take.
    My bad on Carle. The rest are all still better fantasy options than Brodin.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Giant

keep the pick and shoot for a hail Mary type guy. even if you miss you don't lose much.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Give me Brodin over even a 2nd round pick in a league that deep. Which player is more likely to help a fantasy team:

A 23 year old who plays 20+ minutes per game but has a career high of 19 points

OR

a 2nd round pick that has a 55% chance of never playing in the NHL?

Just for fun, here's the 2nd round of the 2006 NHL Entry draft. (I chose 2006 because it was 10 years ago)

Tomas Kana
    Carl Sneep
    Igor Makarov
    Michal Neuvirth
    Francois Bouchard
    Jamie McGinn
    Yuri Alexandrov
    Bryce Swan
    Andreas Nodl
    Ondrej Fiala
    Cory Emmerton
    Mike Ratchuk
    Riley Holzapfel
    Nikolay Kulemin
    Jeff Petry
    Johnas Enroth
    Shawn Matthias
    Joey Ryan
    Ben Maxwell
    Milan Lucic
    Nifel Williams
    Keith Seabrook
    Mathieu Carle
    Artem Anisimov
    Denis Bodrov
    Blake Geoffrion
    Mike Weber
    Alexander Vayunov
    Codey Burki
    Jesse Joensuu
    Simon Danis-Pepin
    Dick Axelsson
    Jamie McBain

I have bolded people who would have been more valuable than what Brodin has done so far. I have italicized those that are similar value. 2 of 30 would have been better while only 3 others were of similar value. Here are the names of people from the 2nd round NHL Entry draft in 2007 that had simlar or more value than someone like Jonas Brodin:

PK Subban
    Wayne Simmonds
    Nick Spaling

I'm not hating on this post, as there's definite value to it...I just wanted to point out that you'd need to include picks #21-30 in your stats as his league is 20 teams deep.
    Your point is well-taken, however. Brodin us value depending on what the rest of your team looks like.

For some perspective, I had Brodin on my trade block last week before dropping him due to zero interest and no fitting my roster....BUT, I went through each roster in my 18 team league and he would qualify as a #5 to # 7/8 dman (we start 6) on about eight teams. The rest he wouldn't be any good for. Many GMs just don't see the value even if there is value.

Fantrax 18-Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G), 25/30
    Unlimited call-ups = 134 gms
    G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, W, GAA, S, SV%

C: Stamkos, Stepan, Little, T.J.
    W: Kessel, MaGranlund, Simmonds, Landeskog, Hall, Lucic, B.Ritchie, Burakovsky
    D: Gogo, Keith, Leddy, Dumba, Barrie, Forbert,
    G: Rask/Anderson/Mason
    B: Filppula/Hartman/Vrbata/Clendening

Farm: Chartier, Forsbacka Karlsson, Bowers, Chmelevski, Geekie, Gourde, AMorand, MShaw, Haapala, Merkley, Katchouk, Korshkov, Kovacs, Shinkaruk, Lindblom, O'Regan, Bear, Bengtsson, Jokiharju, Kylington, Paigin, Grzelcyk, Stanley, Vaakanainen, Koekkoek, Walman, Fitzpatrick, Berube, Pickard, Zhukov