Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Favourite book you had to read in school

Dobber Sports Master

Default Favourite book you had to read in school

The idea for this thread popped up in my "Worst book" thread, so I thought I would role it out there given that these are the dog days of hockey and I have nothing better to do.

I said that "Lord of the Flies" and "The Scarlet Letter" were my two favourite books I HAD to read for a class. I read "Lord of the Flies" in grade 11 and "The Scarlet Letter" in my first year of university. Both are great, and I hadn't read either previously to HAVING to read them for class.

So what book was your favorite must-read in high school / college / university?

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

The Great One

Default Re: Favourite book you had to read in school

it really is the dog days of Summer now!

Wuthering Heights for me... not sure why it struck a chord but was a huge fan

Catcher in the Rye also ... though I expect to see a few throw that one up
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    it really is the dog days of Summer now!

Wuthering Heights for me... not sure why it struck a chord but was a huge fan

Catcher in the Rye also ... though I expect to see a few throw that one up
    The Catcher in the Rye is actually right there on my worst book list haha.

As I said in the other thread, Ender's Game was the best book I had to read for school. I went on to love the rest of the series too. (The movie didn't do it justice - they never do).

I don't know if this counts, but for one of my university electives a couple years ago, I had to pick a book to read that was set in space, I ended up finding the martian, with no reviews anywhere online as it had just come out, I gave it a shot and loved it. Writing style was amazing, and I have never laughed out loud so much from a book.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Good By to All That by Robert Graves. I had a history teacher who didn't believe in teaching about history from text books and this was the first book I remember reading end-to-end without regard to the assigned chapters.
    2012 DobberHockey Hall of Fame - Player's Category

Dobber Sports Initiate

I really enjoyed reading 'A Canticle for Leibowitz' in high school, although most of my classmates did not.
    Keeper Team: $300 Auction draft, 10 F, 5 D, 3 G, 5 Bench
    Keep For Following Year: 3 F, 2 D, 1 G

11 Team, Rotisserie G A PTS +/- PIMS PPG PPA SHP GWG W GAA SV% SO

F: Marner, Eichel, Hughes, Crosby, Kopitar, Rust, O'Reilly, Giroux, Horvat, Palat, Podkolzin, Jenner, Copp*, Colton*
    D:
    Toews, Byram, Letang, Theodore, Hamilton
    G:
    Campbell, Fleury, Knight, Quick
    IR: *Cirelli, *DeBrusk

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

It's cool that some teacher made you read Ender's Game. I read a lot of classic sci-fi, and gave that to my wife to read. Last one I gave her was Foundation, and she hated it. She really liked Ender's Game though.

In high school, I had to read The Grapes Of Wrath, which I thought was great. Later I read East Of Eden on my own, that was even better. I never read more Steinbeck, as I felt East Of Eden couldn't be topped.

I went to an engineering college, so there wasn't too much in the way of literature, but in the one "Humanities" course I took as a freshman, we read Stranger In A Strange Land. I had already read a couple of Heinlein books before that, but it put me onto a kick where I read everything of his I could find.

I did have to read Lord Of The Flies, but I've never read Catcher In The Rye or A Canticle For Liebowitz, but the latter is on my list and a copy sits in my classic sci-fi library. If anyone ever wants any classic sci-fi recommendations, I have some really good ones. If you like George R.R. Martin, he wrote a novella titled "Sandkings" that won both Hugo & Nebula awards and was made into a TV episode in the 1995 revival of the 60's TV series The Outer Limits.

20-team NHL cap keeper; auction salaries w/contracts; 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 3B, 18 farm
    H2H Cat Wins: G, A, Pts, 2G+A, DPts, PIM, SOG, Hits, Blks, FO%, STG, GWG, G Wins, GAA, Save %, ShO
    C: Stamkos, Toews, DRyan, Compher, Fisher, Haula
    LW: Lucic, Tkachuk, Eriksson Ek, Connor
    RW: Radulov, Tarasenko, JWilliams, Point, Callahan
    D: Braun, Del Zotto, McNabb, CMiller, Petry, Subban, Butcher
    G: Andersen, Rinne
    Farm: Anderson-Dolan, Beaudin, O?Regan, Suzuki, Kayumov, Bastian, Pu, Meloche, Pionk, Poolman, Montembault, Hill

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by finminer View Post
    It's cool that some teacher made you read Ender's Game. I read a lot of classic sci-fi, and gave that to my wife to read. Last one I gave her was Foundation, and she hated it. She really liked Ender's Game though.
    Probabaly the best language teacher I ever had. Made English class a lot better actually having a good book to go through.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Genius

Neeeeeeeeeeerrrrrds!!!!!

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    Neeeeeeeeeeerrrrrds!!!!!

Nerds rule. Ask Bill Gates.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    Neeeeeeeeeeerrrrrds!!!!!

Nerds will school your pool as well...
    2012 DobberHockey Hall of Fame - Player's Category

Dobber Sports Padawan

There are a few... Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, 1984 & Animal Farm by George Orwell, Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger, Fifth Business by Robertson Davies, and the play Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett are among the favourites that I was 'forced' to read in school.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Expert

I had a social economics class a couple years back. I had to read Thinking Fast and Slow from Daniel Kahneman. This books has changed the way I perceive everything around me. I really , really, suggest everyone reads this.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Genius

Just teasing, fellas. I would have posted the vid of Homer screaming "Nerds!" out of his car, but I was in a rush.

I've always read a tonne (I've often got 2-3 books going at once), but literally nothing I ever read in school left any kind of impression on me, good or bad. I don't remember anything about school novels, beyond knowing which ones I read. I do remember that I was allowed to do a book report and essay on a graphic novel ("Church & State" by Dave Sim) and Asimov's "Foundation" in high school, which was awesome.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I didn't enjoy reading when I was in school. Now I can't read enough. Go figure. I learned good.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Monster

I don't think I enjoyed reading at all in HS, but 1984 and Lord of the Flies weren't the worst. Someone mentioned MacBeth; that one I enjoyed as well and reference a lot to this day.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry