Thread: Toronto D

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Toronto D

I am thinking of picking up Zaitsev in the league in my signature. Just wondering opinions on him? Also, how does the signing of Carrick affect Zaitsev? Does Zaitsev still get top 4 playing time?
    Column writer at @GoaliePost

https://goaliepost.com/

An avid Chicago sports fan. Craft beer connoisseur. Fantasy sports addict.

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: Toronto D

From what I've gathered throughout the years, there's a lot of D(icks) in Toronto

Sorry, long day at work.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Wizard

If Carrick is stealing time away from Zaitsev, then that's very troubling for Zaitsev.

If Zaitsev adjusts to the NHL quickly, 35 points is possible. But I wouldn't expect more than 30 points because it usually takes some time for D-men to adjust. That's of course assuming he can adjust at all; 0 points is always possible as well.

Long-term, I doubt Zaitsev can get over 40 points ever. Between 30 and 40 points the next few years if everything goes perfectly.

Dobber Sports Ace

Selfishly, I'm hoping Gardiner and Reilly dominate the PP - leaving others (including Zaitsev) to get PP2 and 2nd-3rd pairing minutes.

All in all, 25-30 is where I'd peg him. I've watched a few scouting videos and he's a great talent - but like Jouko said, its adjusting to NHL speed and timing that can take awhile.
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras

The Great One

As I've said in other threads I think sub 35... And probably closer to 30.

He can play and I think will contribute but not to the extent some think
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Titan

My bet is 30 for next season. Rielly is carrying the team, and Gardiner is a big 2nd pair puck mover. Tougher for him to get a lot of offensive focus.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Sage

Gardiner made big strides last year in all areas of his game. To be honest I'm not overly optimistic about the offensive impact that Z will have with the Leafs. I do think he will be a top 4 dmen just don't expect anything over 30pts from him in the future
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I may have to reconsider dropping Gardiner then. My assumption was that Zaitsev was going to carve out a piece of Gardiner's PP time, but maybe not?
    ESPN keeper league (5 rounds draft; 3 FA pickups per year; points for G, A, W, SO)

Forwards: Ovechkin, McDavid, Huberdeau, Voracek, Boeser, Wennberg, Galchenyuk, Tkachuk, Keller, Arvidsson, Teravainen, Rantanen
    D-men: Letang, Keith, Krug, Ellis, Ekblad, Hanifin
    Goalies: Murray, Hellebuyck

Bench: Hertl, Bjorkstrand, Gallagher, Domi, Tolvanen, Niskanen, Chychrun, Darling, Mrazek, Jarry

The Great One

I can't see it - Babcck tends to make his guys earn their ice and can't see Zaitsev strolling in and commanding it

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    I can't see it - Babcck tends to make his guys earn their ice and can't see Zaitsev strolling in and commanding it
    Makes sense. And Gardiner's "big strides" last year means that he's earned the #2 spot on the Torondo D line?
    ESPN keeper league (5 rounds draft; 3 FA pickups per year; points for G, A, W, SO)

Forwards: Ovechkin, McDavid, Huberdeau, Voracek, Boeser, Wennberg, Galchenyuk, Tkachuk, Keller, Arvidsson, Teravainen, Rantanen
    D-men: Letang, Keith, Krug, Ellis, Ekblad, Hanifin
    Goalies: Murray, Hellebuyck

Bench: Hertl, Bjorkstrand, Gallagher, Domi, Tolvanen, Niskanen, Chychrun, Darling, Mrazek, Jarry

The Great One

that's my 'feel'

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Poutine View Post
    Makes sense. And Gardiner's "big strides" last year means that he's earned the #2 spot on the Torondo D line?
    My opinion is that Gardiner has more offensive creativity than Zaitsev. Doesn't necessarily mean he gets the better opportunity but at least it shouldn't automatically go to Zaitsev either.