Thread: New Poster - Keeper selection

Dobber Sports Newbie

Talking New Poster - Keeper selection

Long time member but first time poster looking for some advise on selecting keepers for upcoming draft. Must keep 9 in total with 2 being AHL bound for draft and must have combined salary below 4M to be AHL eligible. Rookies remain on roster but are inactive but their salaries count in cap total. Won our pool this year but had to sacrifice rookie/prospects and draft picks in trades for up coming draft to solidify team with no picks until the 3rd round. Will attempt to recapture a few picks with non-keeper trades but need to decide on Keepers first and would love some feedback from the masses.

Who would your 9 be and who would you trade for picks?

Currently thinking of keeping
    -Hotlby
    -Doughty
    -Klingberg
    -Burns
    -Benn
    -Duchene
    -Couture
    (AHL)
    -Gibson
    -Pearson/Terevainen/Nichushkin/Namestnikov??
    Points only Keeper Pool with Salary CAP
    Wins=2 SO=5 OTL=1 D-gls=2 F-gls=1 ass=1
    16 Teams League
    Weekly Active Roster of 1G, 4D, 6F
    Bench/non active max of 6 roster spots
    AHL must Clear waivers to be active/bench
    Rookie Keppers are non active but once activated they loose rookie status and are subject tor waivers.

NHL Roster:
    Gtls: Holtby,Gibson,
    Def: Doughty,Klingberg,Burns,A. Larsson, Pouliot,Gustafsson
    Fwd: Benn,Duchene,Couture,Tervainen,Pearson,Granlund,Bj ugstas,Aho,B.Bennett,B.Ritchie

Rookies Keeper:Fiala,Point

I...am your father.

Default Re: New Poster - Keeper selection

I don't really understand the AHL thing (as in - how it impacts which nine you keep), but I would keep:

Holtby, Rask, Gibson, Doughty, Klingberg, Burns, Benn, Duchene, Couture

If you can keep another I would keep Teravainen.

Keep three goalies because they're hard to acquire, especially in a 16-team league. You won't have to worry about drafting a goalie, which is a big advantage in my opinion.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I don't really understand the AHL thing (as in - how it impacts which nine you keep), but I would keep:

Holtby, Rask, Gibson, Doughty, Klingberg, Burns, Benn, Duchene, Couture

If you can keep another I would keep Teravainen.

Keep three goalies because they're hard to acquire, especially in a 16-team league. You won't have to worry about drafting a goalie, which is a big advantage in my opinion.
    I agree with you if there was no AHL bit, but from what I gather, is you need two lower salaried players to be kept in your 9. So you have to cut one of the other 8 Dobber lister (Gibson has a low enough salary) and then add one of the four you listed at the end of your post. If I am getting this right, then I go for dropping Duchene, and keeping TT of that group.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

Dobber and EB have it nailed for me
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Newbie

That AHL bit is a mechanism to ensure that GM keep some of their second tier/rising young players as keepers, thus restricting your keepers to 7 with unlimited salaries and 2 with combined salary below 4M. Our cap is usually ~80% of current NHL salary cap for a minimum of 19 players.

As for your suggestions I could put Gibson and Klingberg as my AHL guys but historically no one has ever kept 3 gtls ever during the season. Our rosters are set for the week so you would only have one active gtl all week and then replace if injury or cold streak occurs following week. Given we only have 4 bench spots it would be difficult to manage 3 gtls unless guy like Gibson stays in AHL. Usually you would have one stud like Holtby/Rask and a backup like Gibson and load up on a top tier skater instead of two started gtls like Holtby/Rask. Something to think about I guess? Perhaps there is more value for a top tier gtl then a skater for the same cap hit.

Keeping in mind the cap value of having a gtl like Rask/Holby on bench vs. having a top tier skater (or possibly multiple young rising stars like TT or Nich.) in active roster what would you do? I've always struggle with this when it's a salary capped points only keeper league.
    Points only Keeper Pool with Salary CAP
    Wins=2 SO=5 OTL=1 D-gls=2 F-gls=1 ass=1
    16 Teams League
    Weekly Active Roster of 1G, 4D, 6F
    Bench/non active max of 6 roster spots
    AHL must Clear waivers to be active/bench
    Rookie Keppers are non active but once activated they loose rookie status and are subject tor waivers.

NHL Roster:
    Gtls: Holtby,Gibson,
    Def: Doughty,Klingberg,Burns,A. Larsson, Pouliot,Gustafsson
    Fwd: Benn,Duchene,Couture,Tervainen,Pearson,Granlund,Bj ugstas,Aho,B.Bennett,B.Ritchie

Rookies Keeper:Fiala,Point

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I agree with Dobber on the best 9 players to keep would be:

Holtby, Rask, Gibson, Doughty, Klingberg, Burns, Benn, Duchene, Couture.

Since 2 of them have to be under 4 million.... Then that would be Gibson and Pearson for me.

Leaving you to decide between

Holtby, Rask, Doughty, Klingberg, Burns, Benn, Duchene, Couture

1st option - I would try moving Rask. in a 1Goalie league where you have Holtby (who plays a tonne) and Gibson, you don't need a third goalie kept and would be better off to keep a forward who will get you more games than a 3rd goalie.

2nd option - I would be offering Doughty in a trade for picks... I would suggest his name and trade value is higher than his fantasy value. And if you are able to move Doughty, you still have Burns and Klingberg as a solid start to your D.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by jfvoyer View Post
    That AHL bit is a mechanism to ensure that GM keep some of their second tier/rising young players as keepers, thus restricting your keepers to 7 with unlimited salaries and 2 with combined salary below 4M. Our cap is usually ~80% of current NHL salary cap for a minimum of 19 players.

As for your suggestions I could put Gibson and Klingberg as my AHL guys but historically no one has ever kept 3 gtls ever during the season. Our rosters are set for the week so you would only have one active gtl all week and then replace if injury or cold streak occurs following week. Given we only have 4 bench spots it would be difficult to manage 3 gtls unless guy like Gibson stays in AHL. Usually you would have one stud like Holtby/Rask and a backup like Gibson and load up on a top tier skater instead of two started gtls like Holtby/Rask. Something to think about I guess? Perhaps there is more value for a top tier gtl then a skater for the same cap hit.

Keeping in mind the cap value of having a gtl like Rask/Holby on bench vs. having a top tier skater (or possibly multiple young rising stars like TT or Nich.) in active roster what would you do? I've always struggle with this when it's a salary capped points only keeper league.
    In a 16 team. 1G start, goalies are still fairly rare, and you will have someone who would probably like to shore up their goaltending at the beginning of the season by trading for Rask. I think he holds more value for you than other options.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)