Thread: Doan for......

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Doan for......

See signature for salary cap keeper league info. A GM dropped Doan. I bid and signed him as a free agent for a 1yr@450k contract. So, I have nothing invested in him.

I think he regresses from last year, as far as points and playing time. I think he slots in on the 3rd line. Maybe a PP2 role. I would say he gets 30-35 points and peripheral stats in my league(hits, etc.).

I have a few GM's interested in him, because of his low salary hit.

I have about 10m in cap room left.

Trade offered to me:

Me(trading away):
    Doan
    1-2m in cap retention for one year

Them(trading away to me):
    3rd round pick(65 overall in 2016 prospect draft)

Only other catches:

1. Doan could be extended at that contract rate for one more season next year.
    2. Upcoming draft has some leftovers from 2015 draft classes and before(1st year league and had prospect draft up to and including 2015 class)

Opinions?
    Column writer at @GoaliePost

https://goaliepost.com/

An avid Chicago sports fan. Craft beer connoisseur. Fantasy sports addict.

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Doan for......

Nice scoop. I like the idea of trading Doan but not the idea of retaining more salary that what he is getting "paid" regardless of how much space you have.

That said, the quality of who was left from previous drafts who might drop as far as the 3rd round might change my mind so it's tough to say without knowing that.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

The Great One

without retaining the cap space I probably do it - you may have space now but if other GMs are squeezed you can land some pretty nice 'cheap' pieces to fill that space so I wouldn't waste it
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Quote Originally Posted by scdakotart2000 View Post
    See signature for salary cap keeper league info. A GM dropped Doan. I bid and signed him as a free agent for a 1yr@450k contract. So, I have nothing invested in him.

I think he regresses from last year, as far as points and playing time. I think he slots in on the 3rd line. Maybe a PP2 role. I would say he gets 30-35 points and peripheral stats in my league(hits, etc.).

I have a few GM's interested in him, because of his low salary hit.

I have about 10m in cap room left.

Trade offered to me:

Me(trading away):
    Doan
    1-2m in cap retention for one year

Them(trading away to me):
    3rd round pick(65 overall in 2016 prospect draft)

Only other catches:

1. Doan could be extended at that contract rate for one more season next year.
    2. Upcoming draft has some leftovers from 2015 draft classes and before(1st year league and had prospect draft up to and including 2015 class)

Opinions?
    It's good to have Doan so cheap I guess but i think last season's 28 goals are a bit of an aberration at this point. Doan's a 3rd liner these days.

The 65th overall pick in 2016(discounting any leftovers from 2015) was Vitalii Abramov(the consensus being that he should have gone higher I believe) and I doubt he will be there based on drafts I've seen.

Since typically once you are getting into the 3rd round the chances of a meaningful NHL career decrease I would say that if the other GM wants Doan I don't think you should be kicking in some extra cap relief as well whether you can afford to or not. Doan is already cheap and as you state can be extended for a season at that contract for one more season if Doan chooses to come back so the other GM has that in his back pocket in the deal.

I would do one of two things; tell the other GM you won't make a decision until you see what is available at pick 65 and if there is someone there you value enough to make the trade and then if the other GM insists on the 2M cap retention as you stated I would have the other GM agree to a 2nd conditional pick(this one for 2017) if Doan in fact comes back for that season.

Otherwise I think even though it is just Doan you are giving up too much for what might be a nothing return. That 2M might become important to you at some point.

Dobber Sports Ace

You shouldn't have to retain any salary. Get rid of that and I'd say do it
    14 team h/h dynasty
    Stats, G A PTS PIM +/- PPP SHP GWG shts TOI hts/blks W sv% gaa SO
    $89 mill salary cap, cap hits
    minors- players under 60 gms, goalies under 30 gms
    3c 3lw 3rw 4d 2util 1goal
    max 23 plyr rstr, 15 minors

CENTERS Kuznetsov, Necas, Petterson, Hughes, D.Strome, Seguin, Hayes, Scheifele
    LEFTWING Gaudreau, Mantha, Forsberg, Keller
    RIGHTWING Kakko , Debrincat, Thomas, Konecny
    D-MEN Girard, Provorov, McCavoy, Dobson, Makar
    GOALIES Gibson, Shesterkin, Sorokin
    IR
    MINORS Brannstrom, Kostin, Dennisenko, Kaprizov, Tippett, Cozens, Tolvanen, Zegras, Byfield , Vessalainen, K.Miller, Kyrou, Janik, Bokk, Lundell, Heinola, Hoglander, Lundkvist

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    without retaining the cap space I probably do it - you may have space now but if other GMs are squeezed you can land some pretty nice 'cheap' pieces to fill that space so I wouldn't waste it
    Same thought here. Or at minimum bump it down to you keeping 500K.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Superstar

So I'm with the rest in the fact that trading Doan sounds good, and that you shouldn't retain any salary, but at the same time, a 3rd round prospect pick is next to useless unless you manage to hit on something. I'd rather take the middling to low production Doan brings and try to trade him for something a little more meaningful later on.

Administrator

You shouldn't have to retain any salary at all considering Doan is a bargain at that cost/term. This should increase his value and offset the age concerns.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Quote Originally Posted by AngelicAssassin0 View Post
    It's good to have Doan so cheap I guess but i think last season's 28 goals are a bit of an aberration at this point. Doan's a 3rd liner these days.

The 65th overall pick in 2016(discounting any leftovers from 2015) was Vitalii Abramov(the consensus being that he should have gone higher I believe) and I doubt he will be there based on drafts I've seen.

Since typically once you are getting into the 3rd round the chances of a meaningful NHL career decrease I would say that if the other GM wants Doan I don't think you should be kicking in some extra cap relief as well whether you can afford to or not. Doan is already cheap and as you state can be extended for a season at that contract for one more season if Doan chooses to come back so the other GM has that in his back pocket in the deal.

I would do one of two things; tell the other GM you won't make a decision until you see what is available at pick 65 and if there is someone there you value enough to make the trade and then if the other GM insists on the 2M cap retention as you stated I would have the other GM agree to a 2nd conditional pick(this one for 2017) if Doan in fact comes back for that season.

Otherwise I think even though it is just Doan you are giving up too much for what might be a nothing return. That 2M might become important to you at some point.
    I like the conditional pick idea if he comes back another year and the GM keeps him. I would have never thought of that!
    Column writer at @GoaliePost

https://goaliepost.com/

An avid Chicago sports fan. Craft beer connoisseur. Fantasy sports addict.