Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Carolina Goaltending v. Other Options

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Carolina Goaltending v. Other Options

I apologize - this is similar thread to one I started last month but looking for new insight.

Is Carolina headed in the right direction as a team? I'm considering running with Carolina's goalies - instead of paying for a goalie. On paper, I love what Carolina's defense is becoming. Does anyone in Dobberworld have a positive hope for Ward/Lack/Ned? I'm eyeing 17-18 as my year to make playoffs.

All options:
    - Carolina. Already have Lack, FA pickup Ward, draft Nedeljevic ($6M option)
    - Arizona. Trade for Smith and FA pickup Domingue. Is Domingue the starter post-Smith? ($7.7M option)
    - Dallas. Pick-up Niemi, Lehtonen, and draft Desrosiers. No sure thing I get both from FA. ($10.5M)

Lastly, I could go and pay for a legitimate goalie - but beyond a few studs, goalies are both fickle and crazy expensive to acquire in my league.
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Carolina Goaltending v. Other Options

If you are choosing between Carolina, Dallas (current tandem) and Arizona you might as well stick with what you have. In a cap league with a SAVES category getting 82 starts from a goalie tandem for only $6M is good value. That said, Dallas is going to be a much better team than the Hurricanes. You could make an argument for the Dallas tandem if they are simple waiver claims. I don't see the Stars keeping the status quo though. Stars management can't just sit there and wait for the inevitable goalie implosion this year(again), can they?
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I would also stick with Carolina. And not because I like them, but because Dallas situation is going to change and who knows who will be the guy after Smith is done. It could even be one of the Dallas guys. To much uncertainty in Dallas and Arizona for my liking if you are going with the strategy of owning all the goalies from one team.

The Great One

Moses nails it in the first reply - if your other options are Dallas or Arizona and the additional cap hit I probably stay with Carolina. I think Arizona may be better but not worth taking the risk for the extra $1.7 million
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Pro

I'd probably stick with status quo if you won't make the playoffs next year, and if you want look to improve after that. Dallas' goalies will get more wins though, but Ward will keep your GAA and SV% low.

But with your option scenario, why not add Lentonen and hope he rebounds instead of Ward? It would only add like $2M in the end wouldn't it? If not then I guess pick Ward

draft Nedeljevic <--- do this. And draft Daniel Altshuller while you are at it. Those two likely the key top G prospects for Carolina.

And is Carolina headed int eh right direction? The answer is yes, but goaltending should hold them back as long as they start Ward over Lack, as Lack plays well when he is given the starting role for a bunch of games in a row
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Genius

Sidenote: I think that now is the time to make a play for Fleury, Bishop or Bobrovsky. Goalies seem to rarely move when goalie situations are stable. Fleury and Bishop have uncertainty around whether they will be with their current teams much longer. Bobrovsky is a buy low due to his wonky groin.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Titan

My positive hope is that the Carolina goaltending can't be worse, and they could be better value than Arz, and depending on how valuable cap space is, better than the Dal duo as well.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by jdreed3184 View Post
    I apologize - this is similar thread to one I started last month but looking for new insight.

Is Carolina headed in the right direction as a team? I'm considering running with Carolina's goalies - instead of paying for a goalie. On paper, I love what Carolina's defense is becoming. Does anyone in Dobberworld have a positive hope for Ward/Lack/Ned? I'm eyeing 17-18 as my year to make playoffs.

All options:
    - Arizona. Trade for Smith and FA pickup Domingue. Is Domingue the starter post-Smith? ($7.7M option)
    - Dallas. Pick-up Niemi, Lehtonen, and draft Desrosiers. No sure thing I get both from FA. ($10.5M)

Lastly, I could go and pay for a legitimate goalie - but beyond a few studs, goalies are both fickle and crazy expensive to acquire in my league.

I would say Carolina is trending in the right direction though I am concerned that beyond a few players at F the are kind of thin. The D is shaping up nicely and I've always been a Lack fan. In this option I would definitely pick up whoever is the starter for Charlotte(that's the AHL team now right?).

Arizona-If Mike Smith doesn't get hurt this season I'm calling up my ex wife and seeing if she wants to get back together, lol. Don't know yet that Domingue is the guy for a full season starter load and not sure how much winning Arizona is gonna do yet.

Dallas-**** Dallas. Any regression in scoring for Dallas and this team is doomed with their two G's. Both actually played good in short bursts(5 minutes) last season but I expect a regression this season and it will be a long season of 7-6 hockey games unless Dallas suddenly can't score.

Trying for a trade is of course an option but if you going to get bent over a table I would proceed with the Carolina option and be proactive to act when injuries, the near inevitable call up out of nowhere who shines, etc.

Dobber Sports Pro

The Arizona duo is my vote. I think the Coyotes will make the playoffs and their goalies should post decent all around numbers, the cap hit combined isn't terrible.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
    The Arizona duo is my vote. I think the Coyotes will make the playoffs and their goalies should post decent all around numbers, the cap hit combined isn't terrible.
    I don't see Arizona making the playoffs this year unless they get moved to the Eastern conference. The West is too good.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by jdreed3184 View Post

All options:

I read that you weren't planning on contending for 17-18 years in which case the Carolina group should work as Ward may be on his last extension by then

Really though I don't see a clear cut leader in those groups, sadly, considering some of the name value. With that in mind I say load up on the Canes since you already have Lack and Ward + Ned should be easy to acquire.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

The Great One

if Arizona does make it in - who doesn't?
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'd stick with Carolina. Even though they still might not make the playoffs, they are on the upswing. They're clearly building defense first, which should continue to improve over the next couple years, and that can only help the goalies. Their issue will be offense, which is where they'll direct their efforts over the next couple years. I agree on drafting Nedeljevic, that would be a good grab.

20-team NHL cap keeper; auction salaries w/contracts; 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 3B, 18 farm
    H2H Cat Wins: G, A, Pts, 2G+A, DPts, PIM, SOG, Hits, Blks, FO%, STG, GWG, G Wins, GAA, Save %, ShO
    C: Stamkos, Toews, DRyan, Compher, Fisher, Haula
    LW: Lucic, Tkachuk, Eriksson Ek, Connor
    RW: Radulov, Tarasenko, JWilliams, Point, Callahan
    D: Braun, Del Zotto, McNabb, CMiller, Petry, Subban, Butcher
    G: Andersen, Rinne
    Farm: Anderson-Dolan, Beaudin, O?Regan, Suzuki, Kayumov, Bastian, Pu, Meloche, Pionk, Poolman, Montembault, Hill

Dobber Sports Ace

Great thoughts everyone - I really appreciate the help! Looks like I'm going to make a go of the Carolina goalies. Depending on my cap situation, there's a chance I could pick up Niemi or a good backup as well.

Rep given where I could
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras

Dobber Sports Jedi

I've followed this thread for a bit and have some thoughts...

Why the insistence on having the handcuffs of two average to below average teams or two below average goalies on a really good team?

Goalies appear to be an afterthought for your team (you're drudging the bottom of the barrel and choosing not to solidify this position by acquiring a top end goalie).

In a 16 team H2H league where goalies are 41.67% of your categories, you need a bona-fide starter/stud. Regardless of the route you take from the options you've provided, you're at a distinct disadvantage in every single H2H matchup you're in.

the one option that you haven't considered that follows your strategic train of thought is - acquiring Pickard for the Avalanche handcuffs. I would do that, drop Lack and pick up Domingue.

OR pay the price to get a solid starting goalie - F. Anderson a prime example. This season, due to the Leafs projecting to be a poor team, his value will slide and shouldn't cost you a ransom, unless he is the #1 option on his current team.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4