Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Does Bishop get moved before the 2016/2017 season?

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Does Bishop get moved before the 2016/2017 season?

I'm not convinced that Bishop is the goalie traded from Tampa Bay.. Yzerman will try and make it work that he can either keep both or atleast keep who he thinks will give the team the best chance at winning the Stanley Cup!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Banned

It would be stupid for tb to even want bishop at 6-7 million. They can't make it work so it's a moot point. He's not worth that much. No goalie is.

The Great One

I don't think they will try and make it work based on other signings
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

The Great One

I suppose the reason that Buffalo makes sense, because he is an upgrade, but doesn't at the same time (and maybe this goes for a few teams right now) but your ability to protect Bishop is limited. Acquiring him doesn't just become about the cost, as I think Yzerman will be expecting a good if not great return, but also what it does to your franchise down the road. If Bishop doesn't sign an extension then you run the risk of losing him to FA protected or not after one season, if they do sign him to an extension then they will lose another asset in expansion I.e. Lehner and then the cost really mounts up

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Yzerman doesn't rush into moves. I think it's an after the season kind of move for them. Going to be a lot of moves between the stanley cup and the expansion draft next June.
    When he is a UFA?

Dobber Sports Titan

Yzerman waited out Stamkos and Drouin longer than anyone thought he would. I wouldn't put it past him. The UFA bit is not the deadline for him anyways, it's the expansion draft that is the deadline.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

If he isn't under a contract extension even then the expansion draft doesn't really matter as he can sign him back

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I'm not convinced that Bishop is the goalie traded from Tampa Bay.. Yzerman will try and make it work that he can either keep both or atleast keep who he thinks will give the team the best chance at winning the Stanley Cup!!
    I believe Z is right. Vaseline moves. Considering goalies never really attract much on the trade market, why trade the better of the two if the return won't be worth it? You'll say, "Well, because Vasilevskiy is almost as good and so it makes sense to save money and keep him as your starter, because Bishop's contract demands will be ridiculous." Then, I'll say that Vasilevskiy is not as good and has not proven to be and Tampa's time to win is now. They keep Bishop.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Stud

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Stevie do some financial finagling to keep Bishop, but I can't really see how. Even if they get him on a discounted 6-7 million dollar deal, that would appear to cost them one or a combination of Palat, Johnson, Drouin, Kucherov, or Killorn.

They have Namestnikov to replace one guy I suppose, but he's not a difference-maker, where Vasilevskiy could and should be a difference maker to replace Bishop.

It makes the utmost sense to keep Bishop for one more crack at the cup before losing him, but if Yzerman wants to maximize assets, then he should make a deal and roll with Vas.

My prediction? Bishop is left exposed in the expansion draft and not taken due to his UFA-status. He then goes off and signs a deal for 7.5-8 million elsewhere... like say, a sunny Texas community.
    Staff Writer for DobberHockey
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Ace

When vasi was signed I was for sure bishop was leaving almost immediately. Then I thought over time a bit, and this thought crossed my mind: Did yzerman sign vasi for relatively cheap for three years to trade him? Say for example, they could move a locked up vasi+ Callahan to a team like NYI (they let halak walk or deal him) for say a dal colle /bellows + type deal? Sure they lose vasi, but they could clear a bunch of cap by enticing a team that wants to take a chance on a vasi and his contract and in return, they take a Callahan contract back (since they would lose Halak)? This would also work in a Dallas example , especially at the deadline where a Lehtonen cap hit for the year would be low for the remainder of the year, and they could just expose him at the expansion draft and get an asset back?
    I admit I never thought this at all when vasi was signed, but man has Bishop been strong for them. Maybe he takes a little discount and spreads it out long term?
    Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    I believe Z is right. Vaseline moves. Considering goalies never really attract much on the trade market, why trade the better of the two if the return won't be worth it? You'll say, "Well, because Vasilevskiy is almost as good and so it makes sense to save money and keep him as your starter, because Bishop's contract demands will be ridiculous." Then, I'll say that Vasilevskiy is not as good and has not proven to be and Tampa's time to win is now. They keep Bishop.

The Great One

Wouldn't be the first time a key piece for Tampa takes a discount to keep the core intact

Dobber Sports Padawan

Vasi looks to be a better goalie than Bishop imo. He strikes me as someone who will be top 2-3 in the league just in pure talent. Price, Holtby and Vasilevski strikes me as the rankings for the foreseeable future in fantasy and real life.
    10 Team keeper league
    (9F, 4D, 2G, 4 bench, 2 IR)
    H2H
    Goals-1, Assists-1, PPP-0.5, SHG=1, Hits-0.05, BS-0.05, Shots-0.05, Wins-2, Shutouts-2, Saves 0.01, Defenseman Pts-0.5

Keep 6 (potentially 7 with a vote pending)

2012/2013: 4th in reg season, 2nd in playoffs
    2013/2014: 1st (t) reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2014/2015: 1st reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2015/2016 7th reg season (third highest PF)

Crosby, Malkin, Laine, Getzlaf, Radulov, Arvidsson, Rantanen, Bailey, W. Karlsson, Ducehene,Haula,
    Klingberg, Suter, Trouba, Ekblad, Provorov
    Holtby, Talbot, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I don't see how TB can deal him if they're looking like a cup team when the trade deadline approaches. The downside for a GM moving him in that situation is far worse than not getting a pick back when he goes to FA.
    H2H 14 team, 19-man roster, limited keeper (draft round matters). G / A / P / PPP / PIM / FW / BS // W / SV / GAA. My greatest wish: that Yahoo would offer DEF as a category.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Jordyr77 View Post
    Vasi looks to be a better goalie than Bishop imo. He strikes me as someone who will be top 2-3 in the league just in pure talent. Price, Holtby and Vasilevski strikes me as the rankings for the foreseeable future in fantasy and real life.
    From your lips to the hockey gods' ears...

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Jordyr77 View Post
    IMHO Bishop is the better goalie right now. Proven. Tried tested and true. He has the ability to steal a game at any time.

Vas? Great young prospect. If the stars align perfectly he becomes as good as Bishop. That is his ceiling. Even if I grant Vas the slimmest chance of becoming a hair better than Bishop, it won't be for years to come.

Just because Bishop is having a slow start and Vas a pretty good one does not change this.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen