Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Jamie Benn surgery

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Jamie Benn surgery

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    Says the man whose country hasn't produced a Stanley Cup winner in the last 23 years.
    That's a weird way to look at it, considering how much time the Stanley Cup spends in Canada every summer

Dobber Sports Wizard

...And the U.S, Sweden, Finland, Russia, etc. The Cup is still the gold standard.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Well actually, it's mostly because I want the world cup to fail. I much prefer the Olympics to this silly idea.

Beyond that, it's not a rest or injury risk reasoning, but rather, I think going through proper training camp will be a more beneficial exercise to start the season out strong than playing in an all star tournament.
    Fair enough. I can understand that point of view.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Sage

Tired of losing to us?
    I just don't care who wins a 2-week tournament of all-stars. Canada has the best collection of hockey players in the world. I expect Canada to win.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    I just don't care who wins a 2-week tournament of all-stars. Canada has the best collection of hockey players in the world. I expect Canada to win.
    It hasn't seemed to elect as much conversation or interest as the olympics. It does not seem to have the same draw, and I wonder if the general public agrees with you.
    I personally would love if the under 23s shocked everyone and took it.

- - - Updated - - -

A couple more Benn like injuries and it opens up like you wouldn't believe.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    It hasn't seemed to elect as much conversation or interest as the olympics. It does not seem to have the same draw, and I wonder if the general public agrees with you.
    I personally would love if the under 23s shocked everyone and took it.

- - - Updated - - -

A couple more Benn like injuries and it opens up like you wouldn't believe.
    I'm talking about the Olympics.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

The Great One

But then it won't be. There's better player in the SHL, KHL, and SM-Liiga than what exist in Canada/US outside the NHL. Look what happens in the Spengler Cup every year. Olympics should either be all of the best or nobody pro. But European pro leagues will still go to the Olympics, so a non-NHL Olympics is basically just a sham. A tournament nobody should or will care about.
    does that matter especially when generally the Canadien team is there or there abouts in the Spengler? That '94 Canada team got to the final, USA won it that one year (I think it gets mentioned every now and again). Even in the World Championships that Canada team doesn't have its very best as a rule amd are still in the medals and the other leagues are closed down amd sending their best

think about the potential Canadiem team now if you consider what's on the U20s and I'm the Ahl - that's not too shabby. Yeah may not win it but they won't be going up against Malkin, Lundqvist etc.

personally I think it would make for a better spectacle for fans and give younger players am opportunity to showcase themselves on an international level
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Says the man whose country hasn't produced a Stanley Cup winner in the last 23 years.
    ouch, low blow. Keep in mind the only team that matters in Canada are the Leafs, 1967 ...argh
    KFHL - 14 Team H2H keeper,NHLsalcap, protect 17/20, (4D, 3X(C,RW,LW), 2G, filler to 20, plus 2IR) ten waivers picks per season.
    Cats Skaters: G/A/Pts/BLK/HITS/SOG/PIM/GWG/SHP/PPP; Goalies W/SO/GAA/SvPct/SOG
    C: Crosby, Kadri, RNH, Roslovic
    LW: Hall, Lindblom, Kubalic, Bratt, Lemieux, Gurianov
    RW: Palmieri, Niederreiter dropping soon, Wheeler
    D: Chabot, Josi, Gustafsson, Krug, McNabb
    G: Rask, Bishop, Binnington

Dobber Sports Expert

I know this was probably meant has a "troll/joke" but you should have at least added "team" to your sentence since most Stanley Cup winning team in the last 23 years were majority filled with Canadians :P
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    I know this was probably meant has a "troll/joke" but you should have at least added "team" to your sentence since most Stanley Cup winning team in the last 23 years were majority filled with Canadians :P
    Yep. That comment was meant as nothing more than a bit of good natured ribbing. You are right though about having needed to add "team". Comedy is a very hit and miss art form, and this one landed more towards miss.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Padawan

I remember the Canada Cup and how great it was, this only existed because the Olympics for Hockey did not. After such a long break while I will watch the World Cup it just does not hold the same stature of the Olympics or even the World Juniors honestly. Playing for your Country is a huge deal but I think it will take awhile for the World Cup to regain it's stature.

Dobber Sports Stud

Core muscle sounds a bit serious, almost like a sports hernia.

Hip surgery can often be a process of filing down the bone or removing a growth on the hip. Especially if its done via endoscopy.

Fortunately for Benn he is young and perhaps the surgery was more preventative, rather than obstructive.

Kid must be getting tired of spending his offseasons in the operating room
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.