Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 DobberHockey Fantasy Football League Tier I: Season 6

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: 2016 DobberHockey Fantasy Football League Tier I: Season 6

Last season, with my first two picks I took CJ Anderson and Leaf, err, Luck at QB (again, early). If this league was a swimming race I basically used my first two picks last year on a lead life-vest and and an anchor.

I hate football players.

(ps. I'm pretty sure this is the fantasy fates repaying me for drafting OBJ in his rookie year and dropping him in week 3 before he'd played a game)
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Alternatively though, I need to always do 2 sets of mock drafts.

The first, where I take who's normally available.

The second, where I have to pretend taking someone different, because I'm pretty sure who Bomm will take.
    Hmmmmm.....

My strategy is no secret. However, I may tweak it just a tad depending on who falls to me at the second. And as P7 alluded to, I am fully capable of zigging while everyone zags. I love this league. Looking forward to Sunday.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Hmmmmm.....

My strategy is no secret. However, I may tweak it just a tad depending on who falls to me at the second. And as P7 alluded to, I am fully capable of zigging while everyone zags. I love this league. Looking forward to Sunday.
    If you just wanna PM who you're taking, so I can plan, that'd be great lol.

I'm more than comfortable going either way, I just think the standard mock draft I do, the guy in the 2 spot isn't going to reflect your approach

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    If you just wanna PM who you're taking, so I can plan, that'd be great lol.

I'm more than comfortable going either way, I just think the standard mock draft I do, the guy in the 2 spot isn't going to reflect your approach
    Agreed, generally. When I said who falls to me at the second, I meant second round. I draft WR heavy...generally. Normally, in round two I still go WR but after our recent mock, and given my draft position in this league I may go RB with my second rounder depending on who falls.
    @SmittysRant

The Wolverine

I've emailed Pengwin and posted on the league page as well, but the draft order has not been put into the system. If it doesn't before the app loads, it will be randomised. Hope he sees this in time.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Shoot - sorry guys...
    Um... let's see if there's anything I can do.

Pengwin’s Draft Manifesto

First, the short version. Some say “You can’t map out your draft”. Peng say “Eff You. Watch Me.”

Here’s how it’s gonna go down:

RB… RB-WR… WR-WR… RB-WR… (QB-QB* & RB-WR*)… DST-K… TE-TE

I practiced for the draft over at fantasypros.com, running their “Fast Mock”… maybe 40-50 times in the weeks leading up. This was the most common order of players that were available from my 4/14 slot. The big difference for the Dobber draft is that, like may non-expert drafts, QBs go off the table faster – so wherein the fp drafts I went Romo/Tyrod in 10/11… in the Dobber draft I may have to do it in 8/9… and it may not be Romo/Tyrod, it may be Stafford/Ryan. But I vow to go 4 RB/5 WR in my first 9, with a double QB either in 8/9 or 10/11. Here’s the extended version of my manifesto.

Round 1 (04): D.Johnson/Gurley/J.Jones/AP

Fantasy Football has weighted the elite WR heavily recently… but in our 14-team league, I still think it is going to be super difficult to draft two solid RBs. I want my 2-RB within my first 3 picks and I have greatest flexibility to do this by leaving myself 1RB/1WR at my 25/32 overall picks. I also used fantasypros quick mock tool and consistently got A+ grades, top ranked teams, by starting every mock with a RB, one of either DJ/Gurley/AP. I would consider drafting Julio though – just for please of watching a Falcon weekly on TV… but I think I’m gonna stick with the RB.

Round 2 (25) / Round 3 (32): The key thing at the 29 pick is to TRACK what happened with picks 1,2,3. Why? Well – if those teams drafted WR (say: A.Brown, ODB, J.Jones), then they’ll be looking RB in between my picks, which means I need to go RB2 first, then WR1 (at 36). I’m relying on fantasypros heavily here. They have Ingram(19),Freeman(21),D.Martin(22), Lacy(24), McCoy(25), CJ-A(30), Hyde(33), L.Murray(36), Rawls(37). All of Loch, Bomm, and rataylor22 are inside me at the turn – which means there is NO hope that anybody “slides” through here. If I have to overreach for Latavius Murray, I may do it, because I figure one of these guys values him highly and he goes in the 26-31 range. In fact, I have to keep this in mind all draft… nobody will “slide” past these guys’ 6 picks… I have to draft based on highest fantasypros ECR, then take whoever is highest rated on the way back. I don’t think the first four are there. McCoy maybe – as he’s scared some people off. I’ll take CJ-A… but I prefer L.Murray, then Rawls, before Hyde. WR likely I’ll wait to round 3 pick and hope for one of Watkins, TY, or Cobb to make it through to me. ECR has them as 28/29/35… and if they’re all gone, I may have to choose to reach for Maclin (39) or take a 3rd RB possibly if a value-guy (say Hyde) has slid here.

Round 4 (53) / Round 5 (60): Similar thinking here as round 2/3. One of Loch/Bomm/rataylor will be referencing fantasypros list – so the typical guys will NOT slide to pick #60. I’m gonna need to go WR2/WR3 here because I have faith in late drafting TEs and QB pairing. So the guys that might be here are Benjamin (ECR 51), Tate(ECR 52), Moncrief(ECR 53), Floyd(ECR 54), L.Fitz(ECR 58), J.Matthews (ECR 59), J.Brown (ECR 61). There are two decent RBs here I’ll consider, the aging Frank Gore (ECR 57) and Gio Bernard (ECR 65). Bernard is an ECR-fave, but I will have to reach for him if I want him vs. his ADP around 70-80 range because he’ll be gone by the way back. Gore is BYE 10, Bernard is BYE 9. I’ll be taking whoever doesn’t clash with my previous 1 or 2 RB… but ideally I’ll round out my 2-RB and 3-WR by end of this round.

Round 6 (81) / Round 7 (88): Going to stay with the RB/WR and get a sub for each position – something that keeps me flexible for BYE weeks. I still don’t feel there is a need to get a QB or TE. If I happen to draft D.Martin(TB), I have to consider C.Sims(TB) at these spots. Ideally, a guy like Michael Crabtree (ECR 82) or Kevin White (ECR 86) is on the board here. But I don’t really mind taking Gordon or Shepard or T.Smith or even Willie Snead. RB options are DeAngelo (keep on eye where LeVeon goes – because they’ll want him), TJ Yeldon, and possibly the early season value of LG-Blount.

Round 8 (113) / Round 9 (120): In my fantasypros drafts, I still took RB/WR here – because I was able to take Romo/Tyrod in 10/11 in those drafts. I expect our league (from past drafting with these boys) to see more QBs gobbled up. Many teams will get their 1 QB/2 RB/3 WR/1 TE… and then go back to their 2nd QB right away – which is their 8th player. I’ll know by my pick near end of Round 8. If they are going, I’ll have to follow suit and go with… Matthew Stafford & Matt Ryan. I’m hoping I can late draft this combo here. Why? Stafford has beauty match-ups in Week 2, 4, 5. Ryan has beauty match-ups in Week 1, 3. That gets me off to a nice first FIVE weeks start.

Round 10 (141) / Round 11 (148): More RB & More WR… More, More, More. If they are there, I’m looking at Kamar Aiken & Mohammed Sanu & Devin Funchess – though Funchess is a sleeper on many sites and will likely be off the board.

Round 12 (169) / Round 13 (176): I’ll go DST/K here. Most websites will say to wait on DST & K until last two rounds, but I think there’s value in pre-planning first 4-5 weeks. That’s make or break time to start the season. After that, you are basically playing the waiver wire for match-ups anyways. I like to use the “Next 4 Weeks (proj)” tool from Yahoo to see who to go after. I’m gonna take TEN because I like their matchups in Week1(MIN),2(DET),6(CLE). As a guy who has lived in Georgia for many years, Blair Walsh happens to be a guy I enjoy owning at kicker.

Round 14 (201) / Round 15 (208): Eff the TEs… I hate TEs and find they fluctuate more than any other position after the top 5-6. Might even go with my boy Will Tye from last year, if he on the board – and whoever else is ECR-ed up high by the FantasyPros.

Good times!
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Ninja

Even though I didn't have any real draft strategy going in, I did not expect to go RB with my first 2 picks (drafted 9 of 14). Happy/surprised to get David Johnson Arz at nine overall and had to decide between Freeman Atl and Lacy GB with my 2nd. Went down to the final 10 seconds and went with Lacy. Hope I don't regret that one.

Had to go WR with my next three picks, considering we start 3 WR's: Cobb GB, Maclin KC and Hurns Jax.

Decided to grab TE Kelce KC in Round 6 and I got the QB I wanted in the 7th with Phillip Rivers SD.

The rest in order: WR-Mike Wallace Bal, Arizona Def, WR-Marquis Lee Jax, QB-Andy Dalton Cin, WR-Tyler Boyd Cin, TE-Jason Witten Dal, RB-Darren McFadden Dal and K-Adam Vinatieri Ind.

The only thing I'm not thrilled with is that my #2, 3 and 5 WR's all have a bye in Week 5. I made sure my last WR had a different bye week.

One more football draft and then bring on the season!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Even though I didn't have any real draft strategy going in, I did not expect to go RB with my first 2 picks (drafted 9 of 14). Happy/surprised to get David Johnson Arz at nine overall and had to decide between Freeman Atl and Lacy GB with my 2nd. Went down to the final 10 seconds and went with Lacy. Hope I don't regret that one.

Had to go WR with my next three picks, considering we start 3 WR's: Cobb GB, Maclin KC and Hurns Jax.

Decided to grab TE Kelce KC in Round 6 and I got the QB I wanted in the 7th with Phillip Rivers SD.

The rest in order: WR-Mike Wallace Bal, Arizona Def, WR-Marquis Lee Jax, QB-Andy Dalton Cin, WR-Tyler Boyd Cin, TE-Jason Witten Dal, RB-Darren McFadden Dal and K-Adam Vinatieri Ind.

The only thing I'm not thrilled with is that my #2, 3 and 5 WR's all have a bye in Week 5. I made sure my last WR had a different bye week.

One more football draft and then bring on the season!
    If it's worth anything, I like Lacy over Freeman there. #contractyear
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Deity

Im surprised I got a B+ rating from Yahoo. As usual, I thought I had a mediocre draft LOL!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Im surprised I got a B+ rating from Yahoo. As usual, I thought I had a mediocre draft LOL!
    I got a solid B from Yahoo, which is better than the marks I got in high school! I'm pretty happy with my team, so Yahoo can suck it!! lol

Lmao no one got an 'A' we're all underachievers. Eff Yahoo!

@SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Well... revisiting my plan to see how I did.

Starting Note:
    I'm a bad commissioner.
    After I ordered the draft, the next logical thing would've been to set it on Yahoo!...
    But I forgot... and we ended up with a random order, with me drafting at #2... instead of #4.
    Not a big difference for me, but yes a big difference for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Here’s how it’s gonna go down:
    RB… RB-WR… WR-WR… RB-WR… (QB-QB* & RB-WR*)… DST-K… TE-TE
    Round 1 (04): D.Johnson/Gurley/J.Jones/AP

Fantasy Football has weighted the elite WR heavily recently… but in our 14-team league, I still think it is going to be super difficult to draft two solid RBs. I want my 2-RB within my first 3 picks and I have greatest flexibility to do this by leaving myself 1RB/1WR at my 25/32 overall picks. I also used fantasypros quick mock tool and consistently got A+ grades, top ranked teams, by starting every mock with a RB, one of either DJ/Gurley/AP. I would consider drafting Julio though – just for please of watching a Falcon weekly on TV… but I think I’m gonna stick with the RB.
    I went with Todd Gurley. He's a UGA guy, I late-drafted him last year and he was awesome.
    Gonna go with him again this year. As long as he doesn't get injured, workhorse young RB on a team that will run, yes please.
    I could've taken somebody else at #2, but did find out I would've got him at #4.
    Since this will be my 2nd year owning Todd Gurley, I have decided to rename my team:
    Toddfather Part II

If I have to overreach for Latavius Murray, I may do it, because I figure one of these guys values him highly and he goes in the 26-31 range.WR likely I’ll wait to round 3 pick and hope for one of Watkins, TY, or Cobb to make it through to me. ECR has them as 28/29/35… and if they’re all gone, I may have to choose to reach for Maclin (39).
    Unless I wanted Rawls or Hyde - I went with L.Murray. A reach since he was 35-40 on many sites, but I wanted him as my RB2.
    RBs went heavy, which left a good WR1 on the board in Alshon Jeffrey.

After 3 rounds: Gurley (RB1), L.Murray (RB2), Jeffrey (WR1)... right on track.

Round 4 (53) / Round 5 (60): Similar thinking here as round 2/3. One of Loch/Bomm/rataylor will be referencing fantasypros list – so the typical guys will NOT slide to pick #60. I’m gonna need to go WR2/WR3 here because I have faith in late drafting TEs and QB pairing. So the guys that might be here are Benjamin (ECR 51), Tate(ECR 52), Moncrief(ECR 53), Floyd(ECR 54), L.Fitz(ECR 58), J.Matthews (ECR 59), J.Brown (ECR 61).
    I was actually a bit distracted by my commissioner screw-up and had left to go fix the Tier II order.
    When I came back, I had lost track of my plan and went WR/RB instead of my plan to go WR/WR.
    I got L.Fitz - who was the last of the group above and I was hesitant on the concussed J.Brown.
    DeMarco Murray was still on the board and it never hurts to hedge a RB3 early if one of my top two gets injured.

After 5 rounds: 3RB/2WR... I wanted 2/3... but this just means I need to go WR/WR next round.

Round 6 (81) / Round 7 (88): Ideally, a guy like Michael Crabtree (ECR 82) or Kevin White (ECR 86) is on the board here. But I don’t really mind taking Gordon or Shepard or T.Smith or even Willie Snead.
    Pretty stoked here, got both Crabtree and K.White - the two guys I was hoping would be there.

Round 8 (113) / Round 9 (120): In my fantasypros drafts, I still took RB/WR here – because I was able to take Romo/Tyrod in 10/11 in those drafts.
    Round 10 (141) / Round 11 (148): More RB & More WR… More, More, More. If they are there, I’m looking at Kamar Aiken & Mohammed Sanu & Devin Funchess – though Funchess is a sleeper on many sites and will likely be off the board.
    I actually looked at a bunch of QB available at my round 8, with a big group (6+) of guys I liked incl. Tyrod, Stafford, Cousins, D.Carr, Mariota, and Ryan.
    I decided I might try to let my QB picks slide to round 10/11 and use 8/9 for RB/WR and was able to get Crowell & T.Smith.
    That turned out to be the right tact as everybody that had a QB didn't go get one... only Stafford & Mariota went off the table, leaving me Cousins & D.Carr, ranked #13/#14 by the ECR - and I'm happy with that as round 10/11 snags.

Round 12 (169) / Round 13 (176): I’ll go DST/K here. Most websites will say to wait on DST & K until last two rounds, but I think there’s value in pre-planning first 4-5 weeks. That’s make or break time to start the season. After that, you are basically playing the waiver wire for match-ups anyways. I like to use the “Next 4 Weeks (proj)” tool from Yahoo to see who to go after. I’m gonna take TEN because I like their matchups in Week1(MIN),2(DET),6(CLE). As a guy who has lived in Georgia for many years, Blair Walsh happens to be a guy I enjoy owning at kicker.

Round 14 (201) / Round 15 (208): Eff the TEs… I hate TEs and find they fluctuate more than any other position after the top 5-6. Might even go with my boy Will Tye from last year, if he on the board – and whoever else is ECR-ed up high by the FantasyPros.
    As per plan, took the MIN-D followed by Hauschka-K in 12/13 and the doubled up on two TEs in 14/15 with Z.Miller & Cameron.

Overall - really happy with the draft part, my "strategy" was executed to near perfection.
    I'm not sure if these are the right players, but I certainly value-drafted everybody except for Latavius Murray as compared to their ECR slot.

Still feel really crappy about screwing up a commissioner duty... but onwards with a fine group of gentlemen that cut me some slack. Thanks guys!
    Full draft list to be posted tomorrow.

Dobber Sports Titan

Sounds like the draft went well for Tier 1 even with the pick mix up. I am glad you got Tier 2 done though Pengwin because I had spent way too much time planning for 11/18 and on.
    Last edited by Eskimo Brother; August 28, 2016 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Stupidity.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Wolverine

Had the turn pick, and was expecting to pick a RB and a WR. When it came I saw two RB sitting there that couldn't pass up, so AP and Charles were mine. After that, I knew I wanted WR next and a couple guys I wanted went a few picks earlier so had to 'settle' for Baldwin and Landry as my top 2. Hopefully they'll be the primary WR in their respective offenses and give me opportunities each week. After that, it was to get a solid QB (Manning) if available and get the best players to add for depth. Glad I got Ware to handcuff Charles just in case. I wasn't too fussed about reaching for a TE at this point since many of them could be similar.

Overall, I think my team is ok so we'll see how the season progresses.

As usual, I try to pick a team name reflecting a player and a horror film. Introducing:

DeSean of the Dead

QB: Manning, Cutler
    RB: AP, Charles, Abdullah, Ware, Ajayi
    WR: Baldwin, Landry, D. Jackson, V. Jackson, Boldin
    TE: Rudolph
    K: Lambo
    DEF: Philadelphia