Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: 2016 DobberHockey Fantasy Football League Tier I: Season 6

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: 2016 DobberHockey Fantasy Football League Tier I: Season 6

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Bettman Fumbles (InForaPenny) looking to become the first two-time champ in the league 6-year history.
    Or does Axeman keep the first-timer champ alive?!

I deserved to lose, I'm just glad I'll lose 100-40 rather than 50-40...
    I quickly checked my line-up on Sunday and saw I had my starters picked out...
    I should've actually THOUGHT about whether my starters were good choices - the MINNY-D... ugh, what was I doing leaving them in there against a playoff-driving INDY team. Ugh.
    FWIW, I think playing the Minny D vs. Indy was a good play. Luck loves to get sacked and turn over the ball. Separate process from results. The process was right.

Dobber Sports Deity

No offense to Russ but I am surprised my team won this week. Other than Cooks, my whole team underperformed. Ugh.

Also, the fact that my two starting RBs are Yeldon and REX BURKHEAD (LOL!) tells me that RBs are not worth chasing next year at the draft.

I want to say good luck to Bettman Fumbles next week but as it stands, I think I need to wish my own team luck.

Great year boys. Just happy I am not close to relegation this year.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    tells me that RBs are not worth chasing next year at the draft...
    (assuming you are fortunate enough to land the #1 overall pick and get a lock top WR, Antonio Brown, and make a good pick in selecting the 2nd overall scoring WR, Mike Evans)

IDK. I think we are all apt to make assumptions about what works & what doesn't... when our teams do well.
    You have the top two scoring WR.
    Any team that has top scoring players - and doesn't fall victim to a bad playoff week - should end up in the finals.

So... having A.Brown (WR1) and M.Evans (WR2) afforded you the luxury of not needing any top RBs.
    And besides, if you finished #1 overall, you play Bettman Fumbles in the semis... and lose.

From my own drafting experience, I could say that a team doesn't need to select a top QB... as I took my two (Carr/Cousins) in Rounds 10/11.
    But I'm able to say this because I had great fortune in my 4 RBs (Gurley, L.Murray, D.Murray, Crowell) being steady and not getting injured.

I haven't yet seen any tried & true good fantasy football strategy except this:
    Draft the BPA. Cross your fingers they don't get injured and put up the points you drafted them for.

Of the top ranked RBs (D.Johnson, Gurley, Elliott), two of them did incredibly well this year.

Fantasy football, IMO, is still a 80% crapshoot.
    There's a 20% bonus to a good GM.

But a lucky GM (me, I didn't know shit about players, just planned to draft 9 rounds of WR/RB before a QB) can still put up 8/8 in non-bad-luck, with a 0/2 in skill.
    And that'll give me a better score than somebody who gets a 5/8 in non-bad-luck, and has a 2/2 in fantasy football GM skill.

Sorry - -not a knock on you, you drafted a good team.
    But the #1/#2 slots were pretty solid this year... both you/I finished very highly with that fortune... and avoiding major injuries to our top players. (What I call... "Non-Bad-Luck")

Dobber Sports Deity

You may be right but I do know, next year, if I am looking down the barrel of choosing between a top WR and a top RB and I need both, I am definitely going with the WR. It's clear that I do not need a top, or even a starting, RB to have success.

Agreed healthy plays a lot into it as well but for what it's worth, at the time of my picks, I picked who I felt WERE the BPA. It just happened to be WRs when my pick came about. I didn't reach for the RB because I needed one.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Immortal

You may be right but I do know, next year, if I am looking down the barrel of choosing between a top WR and a top RB and I need both, I am definitely going with the WR. It's clear that I do not need a top, or even a starting, RB to have success.

Agreed healthy plays a lot into it as well but for what it's worth, at the time of my picks, I picked who I felt WERE the BPA. It just happened to be WRs when my pick came about. I didn't reach for the RB because I needed one.
    I was onto that theory this year.....but next year I'll be taking a RB.....the top 3 RB are much more CONSISTENT than the top 3 WR. It's not even close in that respect. Plus this league in particular is not PPR so gives even more to DJ, Bell and Zeke.

Anyways sorry to crash your league thread I just wanted to know who made it to the ship

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    I was onto that theory this year.....but next year I'll be taking a RB.....the top 3 RB are much more CONSISTENT than the top 3 WR. It's not even close in that respect. Plus this league in particular is not PPR so gives even more to DJ, Bell and Zeke.

Anyways sorry to crash your league thread I just wanted to know who made it to the ship
    Again, with DJ, Lev Bell, and Zeke, that's true this year, but last year you lost Bell just before playoffs and all the other top RBs was terrible. The real answer, is you're both trying to find a definitive answer to one or the other when there isn't one. Axe had great luck with AB and Evans, but those two players easily could have been Julio and Keenan Allen and then they aren't even on your team for playoffs. You also only won basically exclusively because Brandin Cooks went off, but Brandin Cooks is a terrible player. If he scores his weekly average, you lose. If you had DJ instead of AB and Cooks scores his weekly average, you still win. To say you don't need good or even starting RBs to have success completely undermines the fact that you won off an outlier 30 point week from a boom or bust receiver that was almost completely unpredictable. Basically, you fluked out that Arizona decided to use Patrick Peterson on Thomas instead of Cooks.

Dobber Sports Deity

Ive been winning most weeks with secondary RBs. Theo Riddick has been my best RB all season and the only starter.

Ill take the luck I got from Cooks last week and hope the rest of my team doesnt under perform again this week.

Ive been winning most weeks with secondary RBs. Theo Riddick has been my best RB all season and the only starter.

Ill take the luck I got from Cooks last week and hope the rest of my team doesnt under perform again this week.
    Yea, again, because of how good Evans and AB have been. Which is fine. Those two players just could have been Julio and Keenan Allen, and then you aren't saying that. Just like they could just as easily be DJ and Lev Bell, and you'd be saying that you've been winning all season with below average WRs because of your great RBs. To try and boil it down to a specific position is where you're misstepping.

Dobber Sports Deity

All I know is most years I reach for RBs early and this year I stuck with a draft list and took the BPA at my turn to draft. Those players were WR and this has been the best year Ive had in this league.

Next year I will not be reaching for RBs again.

All I know is most years I reach for RBs early and this year I stuck with a draft list and took the BPA at my turn to draft. Those players were WR and this has been the best year Ive had in this league.

Next year I will not be reaching for RBs again.
    Sure, which is the best strategy. But that also means don't reach for WRs, or any position, and don't avoid a specific position.

Dobber Sports Deity

I avoided drafting RBs because there were better players available when my draft time came. I drafted crappy RBs late due to need. If im not mistaken the first RB I drafted was Forsett and he barely lasted on my team LOL.

It goes back to my same statement I made earlier. I dont need a high end RB to win.

What can I tell you; it worked.

I avoided drafting RBs because there were better players available when my draft time came. I drafted crappy RBs late due to need. If im not mistaken the first RB I drafted was Forsett and he barely lasted on my team LOL.

It goes back to my same statement I made earlier. I dont need a high end RB to win.
    This is just cyclical, but meh. No you don't, because your WRs are great. You also don't need high end WRs to win. You need good players who are also healthy and have good weeks at the right time to win, and their position is irrelevant, although you cannot seem to separate position from the conversation, which is what is creating the circle.

The Wolverine

12th place finish - just above relegation and my worst ever finish. It doesn't help that my first two picks were Peterson and Charles, other positions were average at best, and relying on Spencer Ware and Jay Ajayi to keep me afloat. Oh well...

Good luck to the finalists!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Good luck in the final Axe. Its interesting reading the debate between the WR and RBs. I know that for the past two week my RBs have done alot of heavy lifting for me. My WR have been pretty meh so in the end I guess we'll see which strategy bears out. I just hope I don't get another bi-polar week from Freeman. He's been alternating good and invisible the past few weeks so....

Either way, here's hoping its a good match up when its all said and done.
    [SIZE=1]WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.5), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Saanichton Cougars

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by InForAPenny View Post
    Good luck in the final Axe. Its interesting reading the debate between the WR and RBs. I know that for the past two week my RBs have done alot of heavy lifting for me. My WR have been pretty meh so in the end I guess we'll see which strategy bears out. I just hope I don't get another bi-polar week from Freeman. He's been alternating good and invisible the past few weeks so....

Either way, here's hoping its a good match up when its all said and done.
    Absolutely. So far, the early Yahoo projections (for what those are worth) show us pretty close. All the best.