Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Worst Book you have ever Read

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Worst Book you have ever Read

It would have to be either The Hunger Games or The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Both are equally without merit. I would say that Hunger I consider to be the more cynical of the two as it is aimed at a younger audience.

EDIT: Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged was pretty damned awful as well. I relegated it to the dumpster about a third of the way through.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    Maybe I should start a "best book you had to read in high school/college/university" thread. "Lord of the Flies" would probably be my favorite too from high school, although I really enjoyed "The Scarlet Letter" in my Introduction to English Literature course at university.
    Ender's game for me for sure! Loved that book.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    It would have to be either The Hunger Games or The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Both are equally without merit. I would say that Hunger I consider to be the more cynical of the two as it is aimed at a younger audience.

EDIT: Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged was pretty damned awful as well. I relegated it to the dumpster about a third of the way through.
    That surprises me, you're one of the few people I have heard who have said they didn't like it. I for one really enjoyed it and was through it in a few days.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Genius

"So You Got Gonorrhea"
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Sage

Maybe I should start a "best book you had to read in high school/college/university" thread. "Lord of the Flies" would probably be my favorite too from high school, although I really enjoyed "The Scarlet Letter" in my Introduction to English Literature course at university.
    Lord of the Flies was by far not only the worst book I read for school, but also have ever read.

One book I had to read was The Crysalids. Many did not like this book at all, but I found it alright. Anyone else any thoughts on it?
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    Lord of the Flies was by far not only the worst book I read for school, but also have ever read.

One book I had to read was The Crysalids. Many did not like this book at all, but I found it alright. Anyone else any thoughts on it?
    Really surprised by your hatred of "LotF". What was it you disliked about Golding's book?

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Sage

Really surprised by your hatred of "LotF". What was it you disliked about Golding's book?
    Not that I remember anything specific as it was so long ago, but it was very non interesting. By chapter 3-4 I was just skimming some pages and quit reading all together by 5 or 6. We had chapter tests and I just wrote Did not read, no interest, busy reading 'insert bookname here' (Think it was Firestarter)
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Homicide by David Simon is the one that comes to mind, mostly because I had such high expectations given that my favourite TV show (The Wire) was based on it. Just couldn't get into it.
    ESPN keeper league (5 rounds draft; 3 FA pickups per year; points for G, A, W, SO)

Forwards: Ovechkin, McDavid, Huberdeau, Voracek, Boeser, Wennberg, Galchenyuk, Tkachuk, Keller, Arvidsson, Teravainen, Rantanen
    D-men: Letang, Keith, Krug, Ellis, Ekblad, Hanifin
    Goalies: Murray, Hellebuyck

Bench: Hertl, Bjorkstrand, Gallagher, Domi, Tolvanen, Niskanen, Chychrun, Darling, Mrazek, Jarry

I...am your father.

Another thread, about Star Wars interestingly enough, got me thinking about the absolute worst book I have ever read. In the other thread, I mentioned "The Crystal Star", part of the Star Wars Expanded universe, as being the worst Star Wars novel I have ever read. But is it the most terrible book I have ever mucked through...
    It's close, but the title of Worst Book ever goes to...

R.D. LeCoeur's "The Spartacus Prophecy". It was featured on Goodreads a few years ago soon after its publication, and I thought the premise of the novel, that the Gladiator turned Rebellion Leader survived the Battle of Petelia where it is widely considered that he perished was fascinating. I assumed the book would follow Spartacus as he made a second (alternate ending sort of) attempt at sacking Rome or a return to Thrace where he would have to fight to regain his own, lost lands, family, or something of great importance.
    Instead, it veered off into a long, drab journey across the Mediterranean where basically the renowned warrior establishes his own, comfy little village with like minded people who seek freedom and takes up knitting. Ho-hum,,boring! The only intrigue was a pair of idiotic Romans who followed Spartacus across the lands in an attempt to capture him and return to Rome and the glory that awaited anyone who captured the infamous rebel. They were dispatched rather quickly by our hero, and then he went back to his sewing needles and tending to the family cat...zzzzz...sorry, I dozed off there. Worst Book ever...sadly, if you look it up on Goodreads, the only person who rated it a 5/5 stars is the author himself. How pathetic.

I'm reading it right now actually. Just about done:

Don Quixote

Holy shit is this book ever horrible. No way it gets published today. Yes, if I was born in the 1800s I would love this book and it would be my favorite. But it's 2016. Books like this should be acknowledged the same way we acknowledge caveman sketches - a nice step in the right direction, great for its time, but let's not suggest that the public spend time reading it.

PS - I gave the Crystal Star two stars on Goodreads, my review is here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/sho...w_action=false
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Novice

Worst book I ever read? Don't remember as I didn't finish reading it. Lol

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post

PS - I gave the Crystal Star two stars on Goodreads, my review is here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/sho...w_action=false
    You were way more generous than I was. The EU books are hit and miss, but the New Jedi Order, which you are getting close to, is mostly very good. Some of the NJO novels stand out as being the best of the entire EU, so I am sure you'll enjoy them. I haven't read a Star Wars based novel in some time, and don't know if I will now that the EXpanded Universe described in the novels isn't canon anymore. That kind of cheesed me off.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy