Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HBO's "The Night Of"

Dobber Sports Pro

Default HBO's "The Night Of"

HBO's new show debuted this weekend. I remember catching previews for it before Thrones episodes.

I really liked it. I think it's going to be a great show and the writers/producers have monster resumes. Seems like more of a mini-series than a standard 12-episode show.

Without giving away any anticipation that the first episode builds, it's a whodunit murder mystery rife with racial and moral undertones.

Highly recommended, and I think as viewership goes up it could easily replace the Game of Thrones discussions we'd have every Monday.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: HBO's "The Night Of"

Here's another filler show for Game of Thrones offseason. For all you of you who are going through Game of Thrones withdraw like myself, another substitute is Spartacus on Netflix. First couple episodes are ok, but show really takes off after that. Same type of violence like 300, same type of scheming and backstabbing like Games, and double the nudity. Highly recommend if you haven't seen it and you're into sex, violence and betrayal.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by gainerama View Post
    Here's another filler show for Game of Thrones offseason. For all you of you who are going through Game of Thrones withdraw like myself, another substitute is Spartacus on Netflix. First couple episodes are ok, but show really takes off after that. Same type of violence like 300, same type of scheming and backstabbing like Games, and double the nudity. Highly recommend if you haven't seen it and you're into sex, violence and betrayal.
    A buddy of mine told me good things about The Night Of. Gonna check it out!

Nice to see Netflix picked up Spartacus. That show was my go-to show back in uni. Was broken when news broke of Andy Whitfield's death (in real life). He had tremendous potential and really grew as an actor through the first season -- similar man crush on Travis Fimmel (Ragnar Lothbrok in History Channel's Vikings <-- if you haven't checked that show out you are missing out big time -- if action/adventure/history shows are your thing it will jump right into the top of your list of favourites)... But yes, Spartacus is definitely worth checking out!

Another good show (which I believe is also on Netflix) is Marco Polo. Basically mixes in the history of Ghengis Khan's heir with the adventures of Marco Polo. Adventure, wars, sex, violence, etc. Great acting and some familiar faces. You'll get a sort of Asian Game of Thrones fix from it. I'm just about to watch the Season 2 finale (mucked the entire season in a week). Definitely worth checking out as well.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Master

I enjoyed episode 1 of ''the night of''

according to hbo canada , theres 8 episodes.

Spartacus is definately worth the time ; Gannicus gets alot of tail !

The Great One

and with three series of Spartacus it's going to help bridge the GoT gap... for at least a week lol
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    and with three series of Spartacus it's going to help bridge the GoT gap... for at least a week lol
    There should be 4 seasons. Gods of the Arena was really the 2nd Season (introduces Gannicus) but served as a prequel while Andy Whitfield was going through chemotherapy. Arguably the best season of the bunch too.
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    G

The Great One

yeah you are right was 4! Not sure why I thought it was three as I watched them all!
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by gainerama View Post
    Um, "filler for Game of Thrones offseason"? The only thing that these two shows have in common is that HBO airs them at the same time on Sundays.

RETIRED

The Magnificent One

Funny how this became a Spartacus thread, but that show was indeed outstanding. Jupiter's c*ck!!
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Padawan

I watched the first episode on Sunday and again last night. The experience was equally tense both times. Two thumbs up

Dobber Sports Sage

Just watched the first episode. Can't believe they are making us wait til Sunday. Wish it was all released at once. What a show.

Everything from the acting, directing, writing, storyline... top notch.
    RW
    D
    G

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by VintageVibe View Post

Everything from the acting, directing, writing, storyline... top notch.

I totally agree. So far they're knocking it out of the park. I'm expecting great things for the rest of the series. The only potential problem I could see is if it spirals too deep into today's sociopolitical hot button issues. That would take away from the narrative for me. That said, first episode got a 10 out of 10 from me.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    I totally agree. So far they're knocking it out of the park. I'm expecting great things for the rest of the series. The only potential problem I could see is if it spirals too deep into today's sociopolitical hot button issues. That would take away from the narrative for me. That said, first episode got a 10 out of 10 from me.
    I'm hoping and assuming for the same.

The main actor, Riz Ahmed, was hilarious in the Four Lions and amazing in Nightcrawler with Jake Gyllenhaal. Looks like the big studios have noticed his talents and picked him up for the upcoming Jason Bourne movie and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.

Bright things ahead for him.
    RW
    D
    G

The Magnificent One

Pretty solid second episode. Not a lot happened to advance things (other than exploring Turturro's character more), but it nevertheless did not feel slow at all. Continued fine acting all around. Some of the stuff with Naz's family was pretty heartbreaking - the mom tugging on the aluminum foil on the plate of food she made for him but couldn't give him. Powerful without being over the top.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Superstar

I was reading that this series was actually in the works quite a while back with James Gandolfini in Turturro's role. Gandolfini had filmed the pilot prior to his death in 2013.

RETIRED