Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: So... They really changed the words to the Canadian National Anthem?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: So... They really changed the words to the Canadian National Anthem?

Havanablast.
    Fair enough. I am glad most Canadians that I encounter are not like you (or at least I don't spend much time with them). I suspect you feel the same about me. I am very glad we live in a country where two very different people (those who don't think flags and songs are important things to be passionate about, and those that do think so) can coincide peacefully.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: So... They really changed the words to the Canadian National Anthem?

Quote Originally Posted by iwinthings View Post
    Personally I think that attaching patriotism to a piece of cloth a song is vapid. Round and round we go. Personally though I have little care if you attack my values. They are mine, not yours, and I don't claim that you need to hold my values. The point is we live in a country (if you live in Canada, not sure if you do or not) where holding differing viewpoints and values is encouraged and celebrated for the most part - not mocked and derided.

I also don't hold that my values are valid due to being different. That's an assumption made on your part. I hold that my values are valid because they make more sense to me. It doesn't help the discussion to misrepresent my side.
    No, not assumption on my part, it came rather from right here:

It's too bad you feel the need to call me ignorant and self-centered for holding different values than you.
    You seem here to be dismissing the criticism of your values because they differ from hb's (or my own).

As far as being "vapid" is concerned, I'm sorry that you feel that way, considering that many fine men and women have devoted their service and sometimes their lives to such "vapid" values.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Better yet, eliminate it from pro sports all together.
    agreed.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    No, not assumption on my part, it came rather from right here:

You seem here to be dismissing the criticism of your values because they differ from hb's (or my own).

As far as being "vapid" is concerned, I'm sorry that you feel that way, considering that many fine men and women have devoted their service and sometimes their lives to such "vapid" values.
    First, my quote specifically mentioned that I felt it was too bad that you needed to call me ignorant and self-centered for holding different values than you. If the reason you feel the need to label me as such is because my values are different (and not for the substance of those values themselves) then I think it's a shame. If that's not the reason for labeling me with those words then I apologize for misrepresenting your position. Hopefully that clears up things for you. I never claimed that my values are valid because they are different. If you still feel that I am making that claim based on my quote (which I feel it is clearly not making) then let me reassure you that that is not what I meant. At all. That way we can avoid that whole line of pointless discussion on a point that I never intended to make.

I attribute the term vapid only to associating a piece of coloured fabric and a song to being patriotic. I believe there are a great deal other ways that people can express patriotism that have far more substance than those two particular ways. I find it hard to believe that the colour of a flag or the specific phrasing of a national anthem is why Canadians fought and died on foreign shores. I feel they had much loftier, noble, and substantial reasons to do so. However, if they indeed died fighting for the word 'sons' to specifically be a part of the national anthem then that's their right. People die for all sorts of reasons that I personally would never agree with. I do think if that was the reason they died that it was probably a lousy reason, but I really don't think that was the reason, and to be frank, I doubt you believe that as well.

Canadians are defined by much greater ideals than the leaf from a tree or the tune of a song. They are interesting symbols, and for some people they 'represent' something greater. I have no problem with that, even if I don't personally consider it to be very important. I'd rather they be passionate about gender neutral language in an anthem, than about whether they should blow up a building because their god told them to, so in that regards I'm glad they have a far less dangerous outlet for their passion!

Dobber Sports Pro

Is it hockey season yet?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    Is it hockey season yet?
    No kidding!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Is it me or is this "I don't give a crap" about Candian symbolism derailing the true intent of this thread?

Darn lone wolf's out there always trying to winthings by nudging the true intent toward their own personal agenda? I think there's a new soloist (formerly quartet) Looking for a new duet partner.

Lol. Fire away!!!!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Is it me or is this "I don't give a crap" about Candian symbolism derailing the true intent of this thread?

Darn lone wolf's out there always trying to winthings by nudging the true intent toward their own personal agenda? I think there's a new soloist (formerly quartet) Looking for a new duet partner.

Lol. Fire away!!!!
    The hilarious thing about this thread is that it started with a slam against liberals when in fact the All Lives Matter stuff is more closely associated with conservatives! However, I think most of us are in agreement that changing the anthem like that was rather misguided....haha.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The hilarious thing about this thread is that it started with a slam against liberals when in fact the All Lives Matter stuff is more closely associated with conservatives!

And efforts continue to derail this thread.

For someone who so blatantly states that "they don't give a crap" about the Anthem, nor the Flag, perhaps even what it took to achieve the freedom of which you were so luckily spit from whom into...(maybe even an etc is warranted here... I've lost track) you seem to care enough to continue to loiter in this thread and white knuckle grip its direction to suit your own personal agenda.

All due respect of course...

Wow... Maybe you DO care... Simply but suggesting you don't.

Desperately looking for the "mind blown" emoji

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Nah, I actually don't care about whether it gets changed or not. I find it interesting to discuss though. I have been on topic the whole time, but I just don't hold your view. You'll get over it in time. You're a good patriotic Canadian and eventually you'll just say 'sorry eh' and we can move on and have Timmy's together.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Nah, I actually don't care about whether it gets changed or not. I find it interesting to discuss though. I have been on topic the whole time, but I just don't hold your view. You'll get over it in time. You're a good patriotic Canadian and eventually you'll just say 'sorry eh' and we can move on and have Timmy's together.
    Oh Snap! ( that's what the kids say right?)

Dobber Sports Titan

1, the lone tenor that did this was American in fact. Go figure he chooses someone else’s anthem to beat up
    2, Is anyone else a little annoyed with “Black lives matter” when it should be “all lives matter”? You put a label on yourself it only makes you more different when we are trying to say we are all the same. Counterproductive to me, should be “all lives matter”.
    3, The flag and the anthem are symbols of one’s country. I don’t quite get how someone could say they don’t represent what they believe…but are still patriotic? They don’t represent Canada? They do actually. The flag is kinda invented to show who you are….
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    1, the lone tenor that did this was American in fact. Go figure he chooses someone else’s anthem to beat up
    He was born in Boston, but moved to the Ottawa-Gatineau area when he was six months old and has pretty much lived in Canada ever since.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    He was born in Boston, but moved to the Ottawa-Gatineau area when he was six months old and has pretty much lived in Canada ever since.
    Wonder what he identifies as.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Maybe that's why they changed their name from The Canadian Tenors to just The Tenors.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."