Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aho vs. Dvorak vs. A. Nylander vs. Keller

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Aho vs. Dvorak vs. A. Nylander vs. Keller

This fantasy competition should test your critical thinking skills.

We're looking at two players (Christian Dvorak and Sebastian Aho) who are either making their NHL debuts this fall or are very close to it, and two players (Alex Nylander and Clayton Keller) who are likely 2-4 years away from stepping into the NHL on a full time basis.

Immediate gratification is obvious for the 'ready' fellas but who do you like long term (5-7 years) to be the most dominant offensively? If your answer is Keller or Nylander, would you be willing to sit on a player like that for multiple seasons to achieve that potential or would you grab a closer-to player and hope he pushes through early and often?

Who is looking like he'll have the best situation? Is it Nylander getting to flank Eichel one day? Is it Dvorak reuniting with an old London team mate? Aho joining fellow Fin Teravainen, or maybe Keller and his wizard-like skills?

Let's hear it, who do you like?

Obligatory discussion surrounding all four players is welcomed and, well, obligatory!
    Staff Writer for DobberHockey
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Aho vs. Dvorak vs. A. Nylander vs. Keller

I would do:
    Aho
    Keller
    Nylander
    Dvorak

Everything I have read about Aho points to a great player. Keller is right there with him but you have to worry a little about his size even though that's as big of a concern in today's NHL. Nylander is talented but there seems to be more question marks surrounding him and his intensity. Dvorak is great too but I think offensively he is just a little behind in my eyes.

These are very tough!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'll go like this:

Dvorak
    Keller
    Aho
    Nylander

I think Dvorak will end up the best guy in these 4. I might be biased because I really like him, but I think he will be C#2 in ARI for a long time and PP#1.

Keller is a homerun pick because he might be the best of the bunch without a doubt. But... there's the size factor and we can't go without it.

Aho is a lock for this year, but what can he offer us fantasy-wise long-term? I have doubts because of his future partners...

Nylander might be a classic prospect traded for a rental player next year. I think that the Sabres will be better this year and even better the year after (when they'll have a goalie). So, they might go the "rental way" and send a couple of prospects and picks the other way for present assets. Nylander will probably not be in a Sabres uniform, so he might end up elsewhere...

Dobber Sports Titan

Just not a fan of Nylander. High on Keller, and we could see him full time as early as this year or next. Aho I like, higher floor, but I think his ceiling is a little lower. Dvorak lit it up in the OHL after being drafted. A year or two of being eased into the Coyotes lineup, and then I think he finally starts producing.

I think overall it shakes out as:
    Keller
    Dvorak
    Aho
    Nylander

But I would grab Aho first because of the sure production sooner, and see what I could flip him for right away. Maybe even Dvorak and a small +
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports All-Star

Dvorak should be the play here but the sleeper pick is Keller because of his huge talent. I like Aho but not where he is. He may surprise but I think he takes some time adjusting to the NHL. These are tough to choose from so:

Dvorak
    Aho
    Keller
    Nylander

Dobber Sports Expert

Aho

Dvorak
    Keller

Nylander

Aho has already shown he can play against men. Keller could be the best of the bunch but he needs to beef up a little bit hence why I have Dvorak edging him. Nylander on the other hand has the skill but in my opinion lacks the drive.

Dobber Sports Master

I am picking Dvorak at the top of this list. Followed by Keller, then Aho, then Nylander. Aho I just have no idea what to think. The SM Liiga is a men's league but how stiff is the competition if failed NHLers can finish in the top 10 in scoring? Then again to finish in the top 5 as an 18 yr old has to be impressive regardless of league calibre, right? So one would have to figure he is ahead in terms of development and playing against older/stronger players. I feel like letting someone else take that bet, though. I have a feeling about Dvorak being better than his draft position and if he had to go again, might go a heck of a lot higher than the 58th pick.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Expert

Short term :
    Aho
    Dvorak
    Keller
    Nylander

Long term:
    Keller
    Aho
    Nylander
    Dvorak
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Stud

Great stuff everyone! I'm glad these four players have caused some discrepancy in people's individual rankings.. Outside of Nylander bringing up the rear in almost all the responses thus far.

Personally, I'm leaning towards:

Aho/Dvorak
    Keller
    Nylander

If you told me that Keller would be a one and done at BU then I might push him all the way to the top as I feel he has the greatest pure offensive potential. He could take as much as 3 or 4 years though and that is challenging to wait on.

Aho vs Dvorak is really the tough one as both are close to playing and while I like Aho's skills just a little better, Dvorak is going to be surrounded by better talent.
    Staff Writer for DobberHockey
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Joe Davola View Post
    Great stuff everyone! I'm glad these four players have caused some discrepancy in people's individual rankings.. Outside of Nylander bringing up the rear in almost all the responses thus far.

Personally, I'm leaning towards:

Aho/Dvorak
    Keller
    Nylander

If you told me that Keller would be a one and done at BU then I might push him all the way to the top as I feel he has the greatest pure offensive potential. He could take as much as 3 or 4 years though and that is challenging to wait on.

Aho vs Dvorak is really the tough one as both are close to playing and while I like Aho's skills just a little better, Dvorak is going to be surrounded by better talent.
    Dvorak is going to be surrounded by better talent?! Right now in Arizona the only talented forwards are Domi-Duclair-Hanzal, maybe Reider.

Carolina isn't stacked but Skinner-Lindholm-Teravainen isn't too shabby either, Victor Rask has been pretty good in the NHL so far.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    Dvorak is going to be surrounded by better talent?! Right now in Arizona the only talented forwards are Domi-Duclair-Hanzal, maybe Reider.

Carolina isn't stacked but Skinner-Lindholm-Teravainen isn't too shabby either, Victor Rask has been pretty good in the NHL so far.
    You are absolutely right, though at this point I would take the group of Domi-Duclair-Strome-Dvorak-Hanzal-Rieder over the group of Skinner-Lindholm-TT-Rask-J.Staal... The latter has more NHL games under its belt but my bet is the former will do much better with the games they will get.
    Blades of Steel

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Stud

Don't forget to add OEL and Keller in that AZ group.

Yes Carolina has Faulk and Hanifin to move the puck from the back end and hopefully Bean one day as well, but overall I think there is a pretty noticable gap in the talent pools between the two organization.

Dobber Sports Master

Don't forget to add OEL and Keller in that AZ group.

Yes Carolina has Faulk and Hanifin to move the puck from the back end and hopefully Bean one day as well, but overall I think there is a pretty noticable gap in the talent pools between the two organization.
    OEL-Stone vs Faulk-Hanifin. Now THAT is a debate worth having, though......
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    OEL-Stone vs Faulk-Hanifin. Now THAT is a debate worth having, though......
    Ooh yeah that is. OEL is the best of the bunch, but long term Faulk and Hanifin are likely the better pair.

Dobber Sports Expert

Ooh yeah that is. OEL is the best of the bunch, but long term Faulk and Hanifin are likely the better pair.
    Add Bean and maybe Haydn Fleury. Carolina forwards are going to get a lot of clean zone exits