Thread: Matthew Tkachuk

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Matthew Tkachuk

I was surprised to see Tkachuk listed as the #25 prospect in Dobber's recent prospect rankings. Guys like Kerby Rychel, Sonny Milano, Colin White, Jake Virtanen and other questionables were all ranked ahead of Tkachuk which I find hard to believe. Is it because Dobber's list is for points-only leagues and Tkachuk will be more valuable in multi-cat leagues (which my league is)? What are your thoughts on the future of Tkachuk and where he ranks compared to other top prospects in multi-cat keeper leagues?
    10 teams, weekly matchup, play 3LW, 3C, 3RW, 4D, 2G per night
    Scoring for skaters: G (4), A (2.5), +/- (.5), BLKS (.2), HITS (.2), SOG (.2), PIMS (.25), PPG (1), PPA (.5), SHG (3), GWG (1)
    Scoring for goalies: W (3), S/O (5), SV(0.2), GA(-1)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Matthew Tkachuk

I mean, it says right on there that within 5 points basically means prospects are equal. So he could be as high as 11th. Dobber also takes into account time of arrival, so if he doesn't think Tkachuk is going to play in the NHL next season, when all of those other guys might, that knocks him down some too. I personally think Tkachuk will play in the NHL next season, and long trm have him as a 70 point player with good peripheral stats. Him and Bennett will be a terror.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I mean, it says right on there that within 5 points basically means prospects are equal. So he could be as high as 11th. Dobber also takes into account time of arrival, so if he doesn't think Tkachuk is going to play in the NHL next season, when all of those other guys might, that knocks him down some too. I personally think Tkachuk will play in the NHL next season, and long trm have him as a 70 point player with good peripheral stats. Him and Bennett will be a terror.
    Like him more or less than Dubois in a Multi-Cat league. (kinda like our league rataylor22?)

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Like him more or less than Dubois in a Multi-Cat league. (kinda like our league rataylor22?)
    Trade me your pick and you can find out

I think at this point it would be tough to distinguish. I like Tkachuk a little more, and I think lots of scouts not in Columbus would feel the same, but it's really tough to say who would be the better NHLer. Decide if you want a LW or a C?

Dobber Sports Ace

Not to derail the thread but rataylor, because imo Bennett and tkachuk both have that edge, do you see them splitting them up (along with Monahan/Johnny) to become more "balanced" or is this how you see it shaking out long term as pairings?

Quote Originally Posted by roenick27 View Post
    Not to derail the thread but rataylor, because imo Bennett and tkachuk both have that edge, do you see them splitting them up (along with Monahan/Johnny) to become more "balanced" or is this how you see it shaking out long term as pairings?
    Like playing Tkachuk with Monahan and Gaudreau with Bennett? I mean anything can happen, but no, I don't really see that. Mony and Johnny have such good chemistry together, I dunno why you would mess with a good thing. And even if you split them up for a few games to try, well, it takes time to develop chemistry, and I think they would end up getting switched back before Bennett/Gaudreau could really develop anything. I kind've look at like the Boston model, where you always had Krejci with Lucic and Bergeron with Marchand. They never really deviated from those pairs.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I thought Tkachuk was asked to play right wing in Calgary so that he can play with Gaudreau and Monahan?

Dobber Sports Ace

You're right. I was thinking of chasing Bennett but always felt like he'll be saddled on the 2nd line. But IRL you are 100% right imo
    Like playing Tkachuk with Monahan and Gaudreau with Bennett? I mean anything can happen, but no, I don't really see that. Mony and Johnny have such good chemistry together, I dunno why you would mess with a good thing. And even if you split them up for a few games to try, well, it takes time to develop chemistry, and I think they would end up getting switched back before Bennett/Gaudreau could really develop anything. I kind've look at like the Boston model, where you always had Krejci with Lucic and Bergeron with Marchand. They never really deviated from those pairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I thought Tkachuk was asked to play right wing in Calgary so that he can play with Gaudreau and Monahan?
    I don't think Calgary will ever do this, and I think it would be stupid to ask. That was a media driven/made up story.

Every single interview Treliving does he talks about "pairs" so much more than finding a top line RW. Bennett/Tkachuk makes so much more sense than trying to force Tkachuk to RW.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by roenick27 View Post
    You're right. I was thinking of chasing Bennett but always felt like he'll be saddled on the 2nd line. But IRL you are 100% right imo
    I think long term Bennett is going to be better than Monahan. So I think Bennett/Tkachuk will technically be L1. But that's probably 2-3 years out.

Dobber Sports Ace

I agree again lol. But idk if that will ever happen
    I don't think Calgary will ever do this, and I think it would be stupid to ask. That was a media driven/made up story.

Every single interview Treliving does he talks about "pairs" so much more than finding a top line RW. Bennett/Tkachuk makes so much more sense than trying to force Tkachuk to RW.

- - - Updated - - -

I think long term Bennett is going to be better than Monahan. So I think Bennett/Tkachuk will technically be L1. But that's probably 2-3 years out.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

So for my multcat league, compared to his draft class, I have Tkachuk ranked slightly ahead of Dubois and above Keller, A. Nylander and the rest but how does he compare to other prospects from previous years like Aho, Vesey, Dvorak, Rantanen, and Zacha?