Thread: Andersen/Gibson saga continues

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Andersen/Gibson saga continues

So after Andersen was traded to TOR I was pretty confident in keeping Gibson, but now that Gibson has a decent back-up in Bernier, I am slowly shifting towards keeping Andersen, even though it's a weaker Toronto team.

What do you guys think? Should I stick with Gibson and the better back-up or go with Andersen and the "lesser" team?

League in sig.
    14 Team | Keep 5 | H2H Weekly Lock
    Start: 2 x C, LW, RW | 4 x D | 1 x G

Scoring System:

+/- (0.5), G (3), A (2), PIM (0.25), PPG (1), PPA (1), SHG (2), ShG (1), BLK (0.1), HIT (0.1), GWG (1), HT (2)
    W (5), SHO (3), S (0.2), GA (-1), ShSv (0.2)

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Andersen/Gibson saga continues

Stick with Gibson. He's the better goalie on the better team.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Titan

It’s funny I was about to say go with Andersen. Carlyle with 2 “Starting” goalies scares me just as much as Boudreau. I’d however hold off to see who Toronto gets for a backup. Rumour is they’re talking to NJD about a goalie and it very well could be 10-start-a-season-Kinkaid.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Id keep gibson. even if he loses an extra 5-10 starts to bernier, he will still have more quality starts for a quality team

The Great One

Nothing is certain with goalies. Gibson could start 65 games for a very good Anaheim team, or he could lose the starting job to Bernier. There are lots of goalies that each year lose their starting job. There are very few that you never have to worry about the backup. That said, given Bernier's track record and Gibson's skill-level, I'm not too worried about him. If Anaheim wasn't going to give him every chance to play, they wouldn't have traded Andersen for the struggling Bernier. (I know they weren't traded for each other, but I believe for all intent they were and the final part of the deal was only announced after Bernier received his bonus on July 1).
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Jedi

Bernier is really just strong insurance in case Gibson struggles or gets injured. It's a smart move by Anh. It allows them to bring him on a bit slower without the concern of Anderson coming in and stealing his job. I would be really surprised if Bernier was resigned by the Ducks at the end of the season. He was the best insurance policy they could get for Gibson while allowing him to feel comfortable the starting job is his.

I can see a 50-32 55-27 split between Gibson/Bernier depending on how well Gibson plays. I wouldn't expect Gibson to play 60 this year.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Pro

Why would you not keep both and dump Halak? If you're choosing between Andersen and Gibson, I would lean towards Andersen in terms of talent and situation long term. But, given that wins are so heavily weighted and goals are penalized, I'll go with the consensus and say Gibson. I agree that Bernier is only a threat if Gibson continues his BAB ways.

The Great One

Injury cover and someone who can carry the load at a push... This will still be Gibsin's net...
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Ace

I'd keep Gibson as well. Andersen is going to be a great fantasy option in 2018-19. Until then he'll be pretty average for fantasy. I think their skill levels are pretty similar overall, and Andersen is less of a BAB, but until Toronto's young guns are fully up to speed, whoever is backstopping Anaheim is just a better option. Maybe draft the handcuff in a later round (I doubt many people will see Bernier having much value) just in case Gibson does get injured.
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolo View Post
    I'd keep Gibson as well. Andersen is going to be a great fantasy option in 2018-19. Until then he'll be pretty average for fantasy. I think their skill levels are pretty similar overall, and Andersen is less of a BAB, but until Toronto's young guns are fully up to speed, whoever is backstopping Anaheim is just a better option. Maybe draft the handcuff in a later round (I doubt many people will see Bernier having much value) just in case Gibson does get injured.

This - Bernier's stock has never been lower so a hot start and Gibson injury should make him an easy sell and turn a decent return
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Ana is always among the league leaders when ot comes to games played on off-nights. So even if Gibson gets less starts than Andersen, you might still get roughly the same amount of starts from Gibson (and better quality) as there are less complications with your other Gs. So Gibson for me.
    24 team H2H dynasty, fantasy points, no cap
    Skaters: G 4.5 (5 for Ds), A 3, PPG 1.5 (2 for Ds), PPA 1 (1.5 for Ds), SHP 2, Ft 2, HIT 0.6, BLK 0.6, SOG 0.3 (0.4 for Ds), FW 0.1, Tk 0.5 // Gv -0.3
    Goalies: W 3.5, SHO 5, SV 0.5, A 3 // GA -3, L -1.5
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN, 4IR

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Hischier
    LW: B.Tkachuk, Ovechkin, Paul(C), Jankowski(C)
    LW/RW: Meier, Fiala, Giroux(C), Niederreiter
    RW: Reinhart, Anderson, Armia
    D: Josi, Matheson, Durzi, Moser, Cernak, Zadorov, Siegenthaler
    G: Daccord, Merzlikins, Vanecek, Pickard

44 minors; most noteables: A.Schmid, E.Andrae, M.Kesselring, S.Malinski, B.Pachal, L.Stanley, L.Bichsel, E.Soderblom,...