Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Emerging Goalies for 2016-17

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Emerging Goalies for 2016-17

Not necessarily the most talented goalie prospects or backups, but who establishes themselves as a force next year who hasn't really had the opportunity to yet? Guys who are going to be must-owns by midway through the season or earlier. Hellebuyck, Murray, Domingue, Jones, Talbot, and Gibson were some examples from last year.

Some that come to mind are Allen and Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Emerging Goalies for 2016-17

Allen is a must own now. He's the man in StL now.

I can't call him a 'must own' but Markstrom in Van will become a must have depth goalie as he take the majority of the starts from Miller.

Saros in Nashville is another to watch. If Rinne goes on the skids like this past season he may not get the crease back.

Possibly Berube in NYI, Halak & Greiss currently in the way, but it's Long Isle, anything can happen with that team.

Pickard in Colorado also stands as a changing of the guard opportunity
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Allen is a must own now. He's the man in StL now.

I can't call him a 'must own' but Markstrom in Van will become a must have depth goalie as he take the majority of the starts from Miller.

Saros in Nashville is another to watch. If Rinne goes on the skids like this past season he may not get the crease back.

Possibly Berube in NYI, Halak & Greiss currently in the way, but it's Long Isle, anything can happen with that team.

Pickard in Colorado also stands as a changing of the guard opportunity
    All great names there. You stole almost all of mine. There are a few more I would like to add though, starting with Chad Johnson. He is a must own in any league with goalie depth because Elliott will go down.

I'm not sure if you count Helle, but he will start the year in the AHL, and as soon as Pavelec or Hutch goes down with an injury, he will get the next 12 starts (number taken out of some random orifice).

As soon as Bishop/Fleury get traded/injured, Guldevskis and Jarry are good owns (or being proactive, by the end of the season knowing something has to happen with the expansion draft coming).

Nilsson will be good for starts too being behind Lehner. Same with Montoya -- Price's shaky knee -- and Hutton behind Allen.

For my last name, I am going to say that other than Bob, the guy to own in CLB by the end of the year will be A. Forsberg.

**I listed off way too many goalies there, but go with your hunches, they all have some good chances to be very relevant next year.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Icon

Loving the optomism in this thread hahah
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by finnys_fanatsy View Post
    Optimism for backups, negativity for just about any starter or injury prone guy haha.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by finnys_fanatsy View Post
    This past playoffs is what started the charge and gave everyone a lot of optimism toward backups. Almost all of them got used.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Stud

If Holtby goes down, everyone and their dog will be racing to grab Philipp Grubauer.

Or maybe Vitek Vanecek...
    Staff Writer for DobberHockey
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.

The Great One

the three I am looking at to round out my goalies?

Pickard, Johnson and Nilsson... maybe Montoya when we finally hear any update on Price

I also wonder if Reimer has a really hot start how that effects Lou coming back...
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Any word on Linus Ullmark in Buffalo? With Lehner's injury prone tendency, does he have a chance even with the addition of Nilsson?

Dobber Sports Titan

Nilsson will get first stab, and proved last year in Edm that he can impress in short stints, but Ullmark is the better goalie, and given a chance, it will show.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by hockeycoach View Post
    Any word on Linus Ullmark in Buffalo? With Lehner's injury prone tendency, does he have a chance even with the addition of Nilsson?
    I assume it'll be a similar situation to last year. lehner got injured, ullmark got called up, and stole quite a lot of starts from chad Johnson. ullmark is a much better goalie than nilsson, so if (when?) lehner gets injured, expect ullmark to get a decent amount of starts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Joe Davola View Post
    If Holtby goes down, everyone and their dog will be racing to grab Philipp Grubauer.

Or maybe Vitek Vanecek...
    this is the first time I've seen some love for vanecek on this site! I don't think he'll get any chances this coming year, but I think grubauer is a prime candidate to be taken in the expansion draft, so vanecek will be the backup after that.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by forsbergfan View Post
    this is the first time I've seen some love for vanecek on this site! I don't think he'll get any chances this coming year, but I think grubauer is a prime candidate to be taken in the expansion draft, so vanecek will be the backup after that.
    Not surebhow much I agree with that. With the saturation of quality goalies in the NHL right now, I think there will be lots of much better options than Grubauer.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Saros is a guy that interests me, but at 5'10" his size concerns me. I am too lazy to do the research - how many current starting NHL goalies are under 6 feet tall?

The Great One

why does height matter when the goal is 6x4
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    why does height matter when the goal is 6x4
    Ask the guys who take shots at a Ben Bishop-guarded net if they think it matters.