Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Emerging Goalies for 2016-17

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Emerging Goalies for 2016-17

If Crawford goes down for any length of time, I could see Lars Johansson running with the opportunity in Chicago. Darling was not good last year and Johansson was stellar in Sweden last year.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    which I grasp... with good core strength though that goalie doesn't need to be as tall as some of the behemoths that we have but probably more relevantly a puck's perspective is very different to what you see when you consider depth and gap between the goalie and the puck -

They also have the luxury of cutting down the same amount of angle while playing deeper in the crease making it easier to get across on one timers etc. so even from the pucks perspective a bigger goalie is harder to get by.

Do goalies "need" to be 6'8" or at the least 6'+? No, certainly not, but if the talent levels are similar then why wouldn't the bigger guy be preferable?
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

The Great One

And I guess that's the sticking part - how do you determine that two guys of different sizes have similiar talent? Does a bigger goalie cover their weaknesses better because of their size?

Goalies are like unicorns - no one has really worked them out - there are so many variables that impact their performance I guess the point I'm making is not to be blinded by their height
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Genius

And I guess that's the sticking part - how do you determine that two guys of different sizes have similiar talent? Does a bigger goalie cover their weaknesses better because of their size?
    This i suppose would depend on how the scouts evaluate a goalies reflexes, IQ, rebound control, etc. Certainly not an exact science but it allows scouts to assess an overall talent level outside of size alone.

Goalies are like unicorns - no one has really worked them out - there are so many variables that impact their performance I guess the point I'm making is not to be blinded by their height
    I agree with this. One guy in my league has been picking big D claiming they'll be the next Chara First gotta look at the skill set, size could be considered a bonus afterwards.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

The Great One

exactly - as I mentioned earlier everyone loved Finnish goalies and this season not one was drafted - goalies are fickle and I think scouts are fickler... if we some smaller goalies gain some success you will hear experts talk about athleticism and not relying on size so much being a strength

Dobber Sports Ace

I'm right in the middle of planning my goalie strategy moving forward and "fickle" is the best descriptor. The reality is there are 3 goalies in the entire league who are consistently top performers: Holtby, Schneider, and Price. Goalies of the past 3 years that fit into this category: Lundqvist, Luongo, and Rask.

EVERYONE else is less reliable to a certain degree. I'm currently experiencing the dilemma that in an attempt to acquire a goalie upgrade, I'm trading a more certain asset for a less certain asset. It's difficult to assess.

Overall, I do think size is one of several factors that plays into gaining an edge in goalie acquisition. But certainly not the only factor.
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras

Dobber Sports Stud

I like Pickard because Varlamov's #s are trending downward. Yes the contract insures play time but the Avs will be pushing to make the post season and Pickard gives them a better shot IMHO

I also like Ullmark but without injuries ahead of him he is going to have to bide his time in the AHL. More of a gamble with him than Pickard.

also keep an eye on the situation in Philly. Both Mason and Neuvirth are 28 and UFA at the end of this season. Something is brewing there big time.
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

The Great One

Will be interesting to see where Lyons fits in too as he has already finished his first year of his comtract so this season and then he is also a free agent - gotta think they take a look at some point

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

God I wish I had more luck finding my next goalie prospect. I just plucked helleybuck out of the blue and got a possible great nhl goalie. But hmmmm so much harder this time around....

Dobber Sports Monster

do you guys think wedgewood will become a starter one day?

The Great One

in 1460 to 1825 days maybe but the wait will be a long one

Dobber Sports Titan

in 1460 to 1825 days maybe but the wait will be a long one
    Numbers can be fun!
    Well said.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by AngelicAssassin0 View Post
    Likely a season too early but I am extremely high on Laurent Brossoit in Edmonton and an even bigger longshot but intriguing to me is Mantas Armalis in San Jose.
    I also think Brossoit will be able to rebound from his poor NHL showing this past season. He'll play in the AHL most of the season but get some starts if Talbot or Gustavsson get hurt and redeem himself. If he's going to take over the crease in EDM though, it's probably a few years away at least.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Who will be the Flyers or Islanders goalies of the future??
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

The Great One

As Lyon signed a deal that runs out this year you have to think he'll get the first look, and I'm intrigued how that looks, on that Flyers team.

a lot of people are speculating that the time line is all set up for Sorokin but I'm not convinced Berube disappears that easily. The problem is with him, like in LA, right now the Isles have to keep all 3 goalies or risk losing one to waivers so it's more whether he can see this battle out first