Thread: Rinne/Rask/Schneider

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Rinne/Rask/Schneider

Who would you keep of the above 3? My league is converting to a keeper league next season, and we're starting by keeping 3 players from last season. Already have a forward and a D I want for next season, but I'm stuck in my decision for a goalie.

My league counts Wins, Shutouts, Goals Against AVG and Save %

I'm leaning towards Rinne as he killed it for me 2 seasons ago but last season was kind of a flop for him, comparatively.

4th option: Do I take none of these 3 goalies and test my luck in drafting a good available goalie in the draft? Only problem is now that we're a keeper league, at least 11 solid tenders are likely to be off the board from the start.

Any comments/advice is welcome!

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Rinne/Rask/Schneider

What is the rest of your roster to see who might also be worth keeping?
    And how many teams/goalie slots does your league have? (That can really change the value of a goalie.)

Of the three, with the info we have now, I would keep Schneider.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I would stay away from Rinne. Too much is going in the wrong direction for him (health, coach, defense). I had him as a keeper for a number of seasons and was pleased when I finally chose to let him loose for another goalie. So it is between Rask and Schneider (and yes, I would keep one of them). Over the past 3 seasons, they are both very similar:

Rask Past 3 Seasons Schneider
    28 Age 29
    34 Wins 26
    3 Shutouts 5
    2.30 GAA 2.26
    .922 Sv% .925

In all of that, Schneider had just one more game start than Rask. So with those two putting up fairly equal stats, it would come down to which goalie is most likely to keep it up or improve on those numbers in coming seasons. I could see a case for either goalie. For me, I am inclined to choose Schneider as I feel he has the better chance of beating Rask in each of these categories (with the excepts of Wins).

Dobber Sports Jedi

I'd take Schneider, he's put up those stats provided by MM on really bad NJ teams. They appear to be closing in on turning a corner and getting better. Schneider also missed the last quarter of the season last year.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

Schneider... elite and has a team going the right way

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    What is the rest of your roster to see who might also be worth keeping?
    And how many teams/goalie slots does your league have?
    My league is 12-man, and it's minimum 2 goalies, max 4 (I've gone with 3 for the last 2 seasons).

9 Forwards, 5 Defense, 1 Utility, 5 Bench, 2-4 Goalies, 2 IR

My roster as of end of season is:

Forwards: Phil Kessel, Max Pacioretty, Andrew Ladd, Sean Monahan, TJ Oshie, Brock Nelson, Andre Burakovsky, JVR, Vincent Trocheck, Alex Steen, Nazem Kadri, Tomas Hertl, Craig Smith
    Defense: Brent Burns, Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brooks Orpik, David Savard, Mike Stone
    Goalies: Rinne, Rask, Schneider

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by nswanson8 View Post
    My league is 12-man, and it's minimum 2 goalies, max 4 (I've gone with 3 for the last 2 seasons).

9 Forwards, 5 Defense, 1 Utility, 5 Bench, 2-4 Goalies, 2 IR

My roster as of end of season is:

Forwards: Phil Kessel, Max Pacioretty, Andrew Ladd, Sean Monahan, TJ Oshie, Brock Nelson, Andre Burakovsky, JVR, Vincent Trocheck, Alex Steen, Nazem Kadri, Tomas Hertl, Craig Smith
    Defense: Brent Burns, Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brooks Orpik, David Savard, Mike Stone
    Goalies: Rinne, Rask, Schneider
    So you're keeping Kessel/Burns/Goalie?
    Letang and Patches are worth a look, but Schneider is just as good. Try and gauge what people in your league are doing for keeping goalies vs. skaters.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

Kessel, Burns and Schneider though dressing 5 d I would be tempted to keep letang over Kessel

Dobber Sports Padawan

Keep the 2 D & a goalie. Forward is a MUCH deeper position and with only 3 players kept per team, there will be plenty of top end talent to draft. Dmen and goalie tiers drop off much faster.

Simply put (and I know some may disagree): Kessel is not a top 10 forward, but Burns and Letang and Doughty are top 10 at their position. You even have a decent chance of getting Kessel back if that is who you are set on owning.

Goalies rankings:
    1) Schneider
    2) Rask
    3) Rinne (I just don't trust Rinne)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I agree with the last couple of posts, you should be keeping Letang and Burns, both outscored Kessel. Don't let the playoff hype mislead you. Kessel is an excellent player but Letang is ELITE (despite the injuries) and Burns is now too.

I own Letang, Rask and Burns in a keeper league and if the GM with Kessel asked for a 1 for 1 for any of them, i would laugh in his face. That said, i like Schneider more than I like Rask at this point.

Letang Burns Schneider for me.
    12 team - 25 man NHL roster/25 man farm - Full Keeper
    League (own salary cap).
    H2H: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG / W, SV%, GAA, SHO

2013-2014 LEAGUE CHAMPION
    2014-2015 LEAGUE CHAMPION

C - Crosby, Seguin, Thornton, Backes, C.Smith, Anisimov
    LW - Kunitz, Parise, Marchand, Moulson, Beleskey
    RW - Hornqvist, Brouwer, Gallagher, K.Hayes, O'Reilly
    D - Karlsson, Burns, Byfuglien, Streit, R.Ellis
    G - Rask, Fleury, Lehtonen, C. Anderson

Farm
    F- Nyquist, Mark Stone, Pearson, Trocheck, McKegg, Rajala, N. Petersen, C. Brown
    D- Goncharov
    G- Visnetin, Thiessen, Murphy, Janus

Dobber Sports Icon

Agree with the last couple of posts, Letang/Burns are the easy choice for the first two slots. It really comes down to Schneider vs Rask. I believe Rinne will bounce back a bit this year, but not to the level of those guys. They are two goalies who are at the prime age to put up fantastic numbers. First, I'll make the caveat that I'm a Bruins fan. I believe that Rask is a better goalie than Schneider is. But I will recommend keeping Schneider as long as Don Sweeney is running the show in Boston and seems content to run their defence into the ground. If by some miracle, Boston addresses their D issues before you have to submit your keepers, I would change my vote. But for right now it's Schneider.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".