Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Crystal Ball on Lucic

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: The Crystal Ball on Lucic

It's going to be a disaster in fantasy and real life. I don't see Chiarelli being GM by the time it starts to go downhill so it's not like he cares that much.

Lucic makes the team better now which is all that matters for a team like Edmonton that desperately needs to make the playoffs.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    It's going to be a disaster in fantasy and real life. I don't see Chiarelli being GM by the time it starts to go downhill so it's not like he cares that much.

Lucic makes the team better now which is all that matters for a team like Edmonton that desperately needs to make the playoffs.
    Well since according to you the team is only about McDavid, it doesn't matter who else they put on the roster so the conversation is meaningless

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post

To be determined. Again if three years from now they win a Stanley Cup it's worth it. 1 cup in 7 years = worth it to me.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Yes, we get it. You arent a fan. You've made it abundantly clear numerous times.
    I can comment as much as I like. I think the correct term is "deal with it "

The Great One

*Moderator hat on* this has been a good conversation so far so let's keep it on topic... And someone suggest the charity I should be donating too lol
    Experience is the teacher of all things.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    *Moderator hat on* this has been a good conversation so far so let's keep it on topic... And someone suggest the charity I should be donating too lol
    I really appreciate it, that you are being a good sport about it. I know a lot of people who would respond poorly in your position. Good on you.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Jedi

Lucic wasn't brought into Edm TO BE a 65+pt player. He was brought in to be his 50pt rowdy rough self - smash faces, bodies and lead this young team. Captain or not. Lucic was brought in and PAID - To help teach this team learn how to WIN. That is the value in his contract. Not 10pts per $1mil in salary. For Wins. Losing was far too long an accepted culture in Edm. If you go back and listen to his initial interviews when he signed. This is what he said. WIN - ACCOUNTABILITY - CULTURE CHANGE.

They're winning. The culture is changing. year 1 of contract - could hit 50pts. Edm in the playoffs. He's earned his salary this year. He's accomplished all thee (comparatively to previous teams)
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Lucic wasn't brought into Edm TO BE a 65+pt player. He was brought in to be his 50pt rowdy rough self - smash faces, bodies and lead this young team. Captain or not. Lucic was brought in and PAID - To help teach this team learn how to WIN. That is the value in his contract. Not 10pts per $1mil in salary. For Wins. Losing was far too long an accepted culture in Edm. If you go back and listen to his initial interviews when he signed. This is what he said. WIN - ACCOUNTABILITY - CULTURE CHANGE.

They're winning. The culture is changing. year 1 of contract - could hit 50pts. Edm in the playoffs. He's earned his salary this year. He's accomplished all thee (comparatively to previous teams)
    So if he ever gets to 65 (by accident apparently) would he then play the rest of the year without a stick because 65 is too damn much?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    So if he ever gets to 65 (by accident apparently) would he then play the rest of the year without a stick because 65 is too damn much?
    Lucic has NEVER scored 65pts in a season. He scored 62 and 61 in 10-11, 11-12, 59 in 13-14 and 55 in LA last year. If he ever gets to 65 with Edmonton they should embrace the bonus production for what it was - a career year.

If exectations are 50+pts 140sog; 200+ hits - and he's drafted that way - owners will get what they drafted. Anyone drafting him as a 65+pt player, well... man. There's nothing to say he would ever reach that.

But he isn't being paid $6m per for 65pts He's being paid to grow this team

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Yes, It's definitely Lucic, not McDavid that has created that. Other Oilers see him unable to keep up to NHLers and think "Man, look how hard Lucic is trying even though he can't skate, I better try harder too." I'm sure he's adding to the culture of that locker room being like "When I was in Boston, I rode the coattails of Bergeron and we WON, then I went to LA and clutched on to Kopitar and we WON, now look, I'm doing it with McDavid and we are WINNING. That's how you win boys, wait for the best of the best to drag you along." Life lessons, such a leader.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Yes, It's definitely Lucic, not McDavid that has created that. Other Oilers see him unable to keep up to NHLers and think "Man, look how hard Lucic is trying even though he can't skate, I better try harder too." I'm sure he's adding to the culture of that locker room being like "When I was in Boston, I rode the coattails of Bergeron and we WON, then I went to LA and clutched on to Kopitar and we WON, now look, I'm doing it with McDavid and we are WINNING. That's how you win boys, wait for the best of the best to drag you along." Life lessons, such a leader.
    Well first, he didn't win in LA, he was there one year and they didn't get far. I'm not discounting McDavid's Role on the team at all. But to say McDavid has brought in aculture of winning. That’s wrong. He’s won – one World Junior Championship.That’s it. Lucic has been to two cup finals, winning one. He has a swagger, anattitude. If he was a sh*thead in the locker room, Chiarelli doesn’t sign him.

I’m sure he’s adding to the locker room. ‘Bad game, move on.Don’t dwell. Get back up.” The room isfilled mostly with young players that haven’t seen the playoffs as an Oiler. Thinking his leadership & attitude off theice for the younger guys wasn’t a primary reason he was signed in Edmonton is ajoke.He brings a swagger, with orwithout McDavid that team sorely lacked – period.

Least of all, it hasn’t been mentioned that he’s protectionfor McDavid.

Lets be honest… the contract is going to kill him comefantasy salary cap leagues, he’ll likely be unowned in 50% of them in 3 years. In 3 years he may not be hitting 40 points ayear. Or maybe he will – we all have to wait to find out.

Your post has come off rather hostile and I don’t really seeany reason or cause for it. I merelystated a point that had not been clearly articulated through 4 pages of postsas to why he received 6million per year. It would be rather short-sighted to completelyand utterly discount Lucic’s career and effect he’s had on the culture of theteam.

I mean… Edm has a crappy game, do you really think when hestands up in that locker room afterwards and tells the team the effort isunacceptable everyone rolls their eyes and ignores him? There’s a reason he wasgiven an “A” when he walked in the door.
    Life lessons... such a leader - indeed.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I hear ya lucafen. Lucic is slow and on the downside of his career offensively. He also clearly brings a level of confidence and work ethic to the team that was missing the past decade for the most part. The tricky part is that us outsiders don't really have any way to truly tell what effect a guy like Lucic has in terms of winning games. The tribalism in sports means those who cheer against the Oilers will create a story based only on the fact that he is slow and on the downside of his career offensively, while making 6 million dollars. That's honestly all they will see or mention. Us Oiler fans will tend to downplay those negatives and focus on his leadership, his ability to step up in big games and physical affairs, and things like that. Both of those aspects of Lucic's game are true. Slow, getting worse as a player offensively etc, but also brings a lot of really valuable things to the team that don't often show up on the scoresheet.

What matters in hockey? Winning games. I am of the opinion that Lucic, even in his current state and with his current contract, brings elements to his game, and to the team culture, that make his contract more than worth it right now. Others simply don't and never will. That's fine. The new reality for the Oilers, and for fans of the team, is that they are potentially looking at winning more games this season than they have since the mid 1980s. That's unreal. Having watched most Oiler games this year I am convinced Lucic is a big part of that, but if people want to disagree well all the power to them.

Oiler fans should be prepared for a large amount of vitriol being tossed their way over the next decade or so, as they are going to win a LOT of games, and most people think the team doesn't "deserve" McDavid, and on and on. I think the responses shown here by some folks are just the tip of the iceberg for what's to come as the team continues to improve and possibly wins a Stanley Cup in the near future. It's unfortunate that two sides can't just discuss the topic calmly, despite having opposing views on the player, but that's the nature of sports fans. It resembles religion and politics in pretty ugly ways many times. It's unfortunate.

Dobber Sports Deity

To quote one of my daughters favorite singer/songwriters:

Cause the players gonna play, play, play, play, play
    And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate
    Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake
    I shake it off, I shake it off

Heartbreakers gonna break, break, break, break, break
    And the fakers gonna fake, fake, fake, fake, fake
    Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake
    I shake it off, I shake it off

Hopefully this song just got stuck in your head now.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I hear ya lucafen. Lucic is slow and on the downside of his career offensively. He also clearly brings a level of confidence and work ethic to the team that was missing the past decade for the most part. The tricky part is that us outsiders don't really have any way to truly tell what effect a guy like Lucic has in terms of winning games. The tribalism in sports means those who cheer against the Oilers will create a story based only on the fact that he is slow and on the downside of his career offensively, while making 6 million dollars. That's honestly all they will see or mention. Us Oiler fans will tend to downplay those negatives and focus on his leadership, his ability to step up in big games and physical affairs, and things like that. Both of those aspects of Lucic's game are true. Slow, getting worse as a player offensively etc, but also brings a lot of really valuable things to the team that don't often show up on the scoresheet.

What matters in hockey? Winning games. I am of the opinion that Lucic, even in his current state and with his current contract, brings elements to his game, and to the team culture, that make his contract more than worth it right now. Others simply don't and never will. That's fine. The new reality for the Oilers, and for fans of the team, is that they are potentially looking at winning more games this season than they have since the mid 1980s. That's unreal. Having watched most Oiler games this year I am convinced Lucic is a big part of that, but if people want to disagree well all the power to them.

Oiler fans should be prepared for a large amount of vitriol being tossed their way over the next decade or so, as they are going to win a LOT of games, and most people think the team doesn't "deserve" McDavid, and on and on. I think the responses shown here by some folks are just the tip of the iceberg for what's to come as the team continues to improve and possibly wins a Stanley Cup in the near future. It's unfortunate that two sides can't just discuss the topic calmly, despite having opposing views on the player, but that's the nature of sports fans. It resembles religion and politics in pretty ugly ways many times. It's unfortunate.
    I'm neither, I don't really care for the oilers one way or the other. I mean just look at my AV - the Universe begin and ends in the ACC. I lived through my own RECENT decade of awful mismanagement. I buried my head with the signing of Clarkson. Thesize and length of the contract, not the fact they signed him. No one couldhave predicted it would derail in the preseason and never find the tracksagain.

Some people don't care to see beyond fantasy value. That's fine, but preface your argument in that light.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'm neither, I don't really care for the oilers one way or the other. I mean just look at my AV - the Universe begin and ends in the ACC. I lived through my own RECENT decade of awful mismanagement. I buried my head with the signing of Clarkson. Thesize and length of the contract, not the fact they signed him. No one couldhave predicted it would derail in the preseason and never find the tracksagain.

Some people don't care to see beyond fantasy value. That's fine, but preface your argument in that light.
    As someone who seems to be more in the middle you likely have a less emotional, and more reasonable, way of looking at things than us Oiler fans or those who seem to despise everything about the Oilers (though they will claim otherwise I imagine)