Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Crystal Ball on Lucic

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: The Crystal Ball on Lucic

Supplanted by Maroon on the McDavid line, on pace for less that 50 points and with lows in PIMs and Hits compared to recent years, not quite the beastly Kunitz-type explosion that seemed possible in the offseason.

Granted, considering his age and playing style I believe most people expected his contract to be a dud sooner than later. kind of reminds me of this

"I'm not worried about six or seven right now. I'm worried about one. And Year One, I know we're going to have a very good player. I believe that he's got a lot of good years left in him." Dave Nonis, July 4, 2013
    I'm positive Lucic won't flame out as hard as Clarkson, just the GMs mindset seems hilariously similar when these kind of deals are made for past their prime power forwards.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymanG23 View Post
    Supplanted by Maroon on the McDavid line, on pace for less that 50 points and with lows in PIMs and Hits compared to recent years, not quite the beastly Kunitz-type explosion that seemed possible in the offseason.

Granted, considering his age and playing style I believe most people expected his contract to be a dud sooner than later. kind of reminds me of this

I'm positive Lucic won't flame out as hard as Clarkson, just the GMs mindset seems hilariously similar when these kind of deals are made for past their prime power forwards.
    I mean, ultimately Lucic's base skill set was much higher than Clarkson's, so he can't quite flame out the same was a Clarkson. There's a level of terrible play that will count as an equivalency though. Like I would consider a 30-40 point Lucic about as big as a flame out.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I mean, ultimately Lucic's base skill set was much higher than Clarkson's, so he can't quite flame out the same was a Clarkson. There's a level of terrible play that will count as an equivalency though. Like I would consider a 30-40 point Lucic about as big as a flame out.
    Exactly

W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Veteran

Been burn by the Lucic-McDavid train at the draft.
    He was my 1st round pick (after keepers (72)).
    Didn't deliver to expectations...
    Keeper league (12 teams) - keep 6 (+ NHL team is auto keep)
    Weekly lineup: 1T, 9F, 4D, 1G
    Points only:
    Forwards & Dmen: goal (1), assist (1)
    Goalies: win (2), otl/sol (1), shutout (2)
    Team: win (2), otl/sol (1)
    Only 2 FA pickups for the season (remaining: 0)

[T] Edmonton
    [F] Panarin, Pettersson, Bedard
    [D] Heiskanen, Theodore, Dobson
    [G]

The Great One

Lucic isn't on a Clarkson path, but might be like the Dustin Brown of 3 years ago, which should scare his owners just as much.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Deity

As the title suggests, none of us own a crystal ball. We are speculators at best.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Chiarelli kills it when it comes to building teams that can win games. Not so much with managing the cap. Likely to be real trouble down the line in that regard and the hope is that Lucic continues to be a big part of a Cup winning team over the next 3-4 seasons because after that it could get ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Chiarelli kills it when it comes to building teams that can win games. Not so much with managing the cap. Likely to be real trouble down the line in that regard and the hope is that Lucic continues to be a big part of a Cup winning team over the next 3-4 seasons because after that it could get ugly.
    After that......?

haha.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    A couple Stanley Cup victories and its worth it. If that happens that is. Winning the Cup is hard. Many things have to go right and the timing must be good as well. I think Chiarelli knows what he is doing. I'm not an Oilers fan, but if I was, I would be pretty excited about the immediate future (5 year stretch).

Lucic has been on a little tear recently. Something like 9 points in the last 10 games. He's still only up to 42 points. If he scores another 9 in the last 10 games, he'll get to 51, but I dont think he will. Before this year started, I would have said that his established range is 55-60. After this year, I'd say his range went down to 50-55.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Lucic isn't on a Clarkson path, but might be like the Dustin Brown of 3 years ago, which should scare his owners just as much.
    Brown works, Backes will too, the thought was more about the quote than the specific player it was referencing, it just happened to be Clarkson.

W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    A couple Stanley Cup victories and its worth it. If that happens that is. Winning the Cup is hard. Many things have to go right and the timing must be good as well. I think Chiarelli knows what he is doing. I'm not an Oilers fan, but if I was, I would be pretty excited about the immediate future (5 year stretch).

Lucic has been on a little tear recently. Something like 9 points in the last 10 games. He's still only up to 42 points. If he scores another 9 in the last 10 games, he'll get to 51, but I dont think he will. Before this year started, I would have said that his established range is 55-60. After this year, I'd say his range went down to 50-55.
    Even 1 Stanley Cup title is worth it for me. Hell, just seeing this team look great and making the playoffs has been huge for me. There are zero guarantees in the NHL so I'm glad he took a chance on Lucic, but certainly there is some concern about how he will hold up down the road.

I couldn't imagine looking at Lucic's play and contract and thinking it might disaster 3-4 years from now. It's a disaster now.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I couldn't imagine looking at Lucic's play and contract and thinking it might disaster 3-4 years from now. It's a disaster now.
    Yes, we get it. You arent a fan. You've made it abundantly clear numerous times.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

The contract is a disaster in fantasy. In real life this has yet to be determined. The oilers won't win a cup in the next 5 years without Lucic playing a big role in the playoffs. That's why he's here.

Considering how hard it is to win a cup, if they win one during his contract, and he plays a role, then it was worth it. Undisputable to me. Look how many teams have never even been to the dance, forget about winning it all.

Sure, it would have been great it he scored 65+ points and looked awesome beside mcd but if they get bounced in the 1st round every year no one will care (except his fantasy owners).

This contract should be judged on playoff performance and that is TBD. He's getting hot at the right time of year. Chia, luc, along with everyone else in the league are judged on what happens in April and May, as they should be.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    The contract is a disaster in fantasy. In real life this has yet to be determined. The oilers won't win a cup in the next 5 years without Lucic playing a big role in the playoffs. That's why he's here.

Considering how hard it is to win a cup, if they win one during his contract, and he plays a role, then it was worth it. Undisputable to me. Look how many teams have never even been to the dance, forget about winning it all.

Sure, it would have been great it he scored 65+ points and looked awesome beside mcd but if they get bounced in the 1st round every year no one will care (except his fantasy owners).

This contract should be judged on playoff performance and that is TBD. He's getting hot at the right time of year. Chia, luc, along with everyone else in the league are judged on what happens in April and May, as they should be.
    Lucic has generally stepped up against the big teams and in the big games as well this year. It should be interesting to see what happens with the Oilers in the playoffs. Smart money is on a pretty short run with a team with so little experience, but anything could happen.