Thread: the expendables

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default the expendables

So Khudobin(Bos) and Ward(Car) signed for 2 years. Im thinking that it is purely a tactical move so teams have goalies for the expansion draft. If im right what other goalies are gonna be in this "your here because ur expendable" ? And are there other teams that should have done this but didnt/havent yet. Guys like Gustavsson(Edm) , Montoya(Mon) and Chad Johnson (Cgy) only got 1 year contracts but wouldnt it make sense to give them 2 years instead? Am I missing something?

The Great One

Default Re: the expendables

Technically they will still be under contract at the expansion draft... But Vegas can only take ten players who don't have contracts for the following season

Dobber Sports Stud

good point. boston could have lost Malcolm subban in the expansion draft, so I guess signing khudobin means subban stays in the ahl this year (instead of backing up rask) and doesn't have to be protected (which he wouldn't have been).
    with ward I don't necessarily think it's expansion related. I don't think they feel lack is the answer, and the two of them are just holding down the spot tll nedeljkovic is ready. and their team isn't ready to contend now anyways.
    I think most teams will find loopholes around their goalie situation. I think Philip grubauer is likely gonna be the top goalie taken in the draft, which will be a great spot for him to be in. the caps will have vitek vanecek ready to come up and backup holtby, so he'll be expendable.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by forsbergfan View Post
    good point. boston could have lost Malcolm subban in the expansion draft, so I guess signing khudobin means subban stays in the ahl this year (instead of backing up rask) and doesn't have to be protected (which he wouldn't have been).
    with ward I don't necessarily think it's expansion related. I don't think they feel lack is the answer, and the two of them are just holding down the spot tll nedeljkovic is ready. and their team isn't ready to contend now anyways.
    I think most teams will find loopholes around their goalie situation. I think Philip grubauer is likely gonna be the top goalie taken in the draft, which will be a great spot for him to be in. the caps will have vitek vanecek ready to come up and backup holtby, so he'll be expendable.
    Ah ha! Brilliant!
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,H,BS,W,SV%,SA,SO
    12 Man H2H Salary Keeper League
    C - S.Crosby/S.Monahan/G.Landeskog(lw)/W.Karlsson
    LW- T.Hall/B.Rust(lw)/N.Hoglander
    RW - J.Guentzel(lw)/ T.Tatar(lw)/J.Pulujaarvi/K.Kapanen(lw)
    D - B.Burns/E.Karlsson/M.Heiskanen/J.Carlson
    G - I.Sorokin/I.Shesterkin/T.Demko/C.Peterson/C.Talbot
    Farm - C.Primeau/P.Kochetov/C.Caufield/E.Svechnikov

Dobber Sports Titan

I don't think they want to tie themselves into two years of these goalies. They can easily re-up them for a year or two next summer, or just grab someone else of the same caliber. There will be some available every year.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)