Thread: How to start a trade?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default How to start a trade?

Hi

how do you start discussion about a player you want if you think the owner doesn't know the full value of the player.

for example, shea Theodore, every good fantasy DG know how value he is, but some doesn't. It's not like Erik karlsson, you have to read on it

Are you going straight to the point or turn around and throwing them to seal the deal?

Hope you understand my question

thanks you
    16 teams, points only

Players got random contract.

f(12): N.Ritchie-4, M.Pacioretty-1, R.Strome-2, W.Karlsson-3, J.Virtanen-4, R.Getzlaf-1, C.McDavid-4, E.Lindholm-2, M.Rantanen-5, L.Stempniak-4, A.Hemsky-3, M.Cammalleri-3

b: B.Perlini-5, T.Rattie-3, M.Colle-5, M.Puempel-3, D.Caggiula-5, R.Asplund-5, J.F-karlsson-5, K.Bellows-5, A.Lehkonen-5, A.DeBrincat-5, A.Johnson-5, H.Borgstrom-5, JC.Beaudin-5, M.Reway-5

d(6): D.Doughty-1, D.Byfuglien-1, J.Gardiner-2, S.Jones-2, R.Pulock-4, S.Theodore-4

b: N.Nesterov-2, L.Bengtsson-5, J.Chychrun-5

g(2 of the same team): Price-1, Condon-4

b: Fucale-5, Sorokin-5

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: How to start a trade?

I'm going to give you the best answer that I can, but I will start by telling you to read this thread ( Trade etiquette). You will get plenty of informations.

First of all you need to know the other GM enough to know how to approach him. Sometimes it's better to send a reasonable offer (don't lowball, this will only lead to a negative perception of you), sometimes it'S better to send a message.

One way to approach things is to name several players that the GM owns and stuck in the middle the player you want.
    Per exemple, by using Shea Theodore that you named in your post : "Hi, I was interested in (fictive players the GM might own) Elias Lindholm, Justin Faulk, Shea Theodore, Kasperi Kapanen and Tomas Hertl. Would you be interested in parting ways with one of them?"

This will not give your hand away (that you want THeodore), you're gonna find out who the opposite GM is interesting in moving. If you go straight by "I'm interested in Theodore", the opposite GM might see this will probably trigger the opposite GM on the player you're explicitly asking for.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: How to start a trade?

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    I'm going to give you the best answer that I can, but I will start by telling you to read this thread ( Trade etiquette). You will get plenty of informations.

First of all you need to know the other GM enough to know how to approach him. Sometimes it's better to send a reasonable offer (don't lowball, this will only lead to a negative perception of you), sometimes it'S better to send a message.

One way to approach things is to name several players that the GM owns and stuck in the middle the player you want.
    Per exemple, by using Shea Theodore that you named in your post : "Hi, I was interested in (fictive players the GM might own) Elias Lindholm, Justin Faulk, Shea Theodore, Kasperi Kapanen and Tomas Hertl. Would you be interested in parting ways with one of them?"

This will not give your hand away (that you want THeodore), you're gonna find out who the opposite GM is interesting in moving. If you go straight by "I'm interested in Theodore", the opposite GM might see this will probably trigger the opposite GM on the player you're explicitly asking for.
    I saw the title of this thread and went to dig up the old trade etiquette thread as well. Nice to see you had it already.

You summed it up pretty well. Messages are always best, as you can't just get a decline with no reason. Also not tipping your hand is usually a good idea, but you also have to have a good sense of the other managers in your league, and how they approach negotiations.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)