Thread: {Drafted} 81st overall - Sean Day - New York Rangers

Dobber Sports Master

Default {Drafted} 81st overall - Sean Day - New York Rangers

Since being the fourth guy ever granted "exceptional" status in the OHL, Sean Day has had an OK career in the junior league. So what happened to the next Aaron Ekblad ( the only other exceptional defenseman)? And did the Rangers make a brilliant move stealing him at 81st overall or is he no better than any other third rounder? Just looking for some of the forum members thoughts on Day.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: {Drafted} 81st overall - Sean Day - New York Rangers

I liked what I heard in his interview after getting selected. Says he's dropped his body fat quite a bit this offseason. Soudns like he's figuring out how to be a pro. Seems like a Kirill Kabanov sort of situation with him - let's hope it has a happier ending.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Expert

Tough to say how it all shakes out. When he was 14/15, he was just so head and shoulders above all the other players playing minor hockey in the Detroit area. I think he just blossomed so early that all the expectations just got too heavy to handle for him. I think he still has a very solid NHL career and could still develop into a #2 for the Rangers. The talent is there, he just needs to put that next foot forward. Mississauga should have a very solid team next year in the OHL and no doubt if they are going to make the Mem cup, he's going to be an integral part. I think the 2015/16 season will be a big telltale for him. Draft is over, pressure is lowered, just go out and play hockey.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    Tough to say how it all shakes out. When he was 14/15, he was just so head and shoulders above all the other players playing minor hockey in the Detroit area. I think he just blossomed so early that all the expectations just got too heavy to handle for him. I think he still has a very solid NHL career and could still develop into a #2 for the Rangers. The talent is there, he just needs to put that next foot forward. Mississauga should have a very solid team next year in the OHL and no doubt if they are going to make the Mem cup, he's going to be an integral part. I think the 2015/16 season will be a big telltale for him. Draft is over, pressure is lowered, just go out and play hockey.
    Yes the talent is there, but that's the biggest problem, is hat he hasn't improved in the last two years. From what I heard, scouts were very concerned wit hthe stalled development.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

IS this another case of over scouting and over expecting for a 16, 17, 18 year old. It's like when people start to pick holes in Matthews, Crosby, Mcdavid etc games. They get scouted so often that they soon see negatives and they become larger than they actually are. TO fall this far though does indicate that a lot of teams saw the same but maybe he does work it out again - especially if it was so easy so young

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    IS this another case of over scouting and over expecting for a 16, 17, 18 year old. It's like when people start to pick holes in Matthews, Crosby, Mcdavid etc games. They get scouted so often that they soon see negatives and they become larger than they actually are. TO fall this far though does indicate that a lot of teams saw the same but maybe he does work it out again - especially if it was so easy so young
    I think that's a really good point. It feels a little similar to the fall of Chychrun.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Over scouting is a real problem because everyone wants to avoid making a mistake.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

The Great One

Totally but TBH how many players are drafted earlier and are still mistakes made but that's what makes it fun to speculate. I think he put performs this spot..

Dobber Sports Wizard

I suggest you guys read the massive Sean Day thread at HF Boards. A lot of people who have seen more of Day than I have are very down on him for a lot of reasons.

Still worth a flier if you can get him late in a draft because of his skating, but I'm not expecting anything from him.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

The Great One

Slipping to 81st kind of tells us a lot we need to know already - I'm just mindful of not writing a kid off at 17-18. Like Chychyryn has said for sliding - this could be the wake up call he needs after the exceptional status ruling

Dobber Sports Stud

NYR has depleted their coffers so the kid fell to the right club.
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

The Great One

Didn't his brother pass away in a car accident?

That could **** with his hockey development.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Didn't his brother pass away in a car accident?

That could **** with his hockey development.
    Nah, his bro is in jail for killing an old lady while drunk driving... still messes you up I bet.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

The Great One

Yup, that was it.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    Nah, his bro is in jail for killing an old lady while drunk driving... still messes you up I bet.
    Can't even imagine how hard that must be on him.
    We saw how the parental problem had a negative effect on Linden Vey's play. And the financial problems on JJ's play.

Hopefully Day can rebound, but it will
    take some time.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)