Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: [Drafted] 3rd overall - Pierre-Luc Dubois - Columbus Blue Jackets

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: [Drafted] 3rd overall - Pierre-Luc Dubois - Columbus Blue Jackets

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I guess that's why he's there and we are here slinging our arms over our armchairs. Someone has to make the tough calls.

If Dubois turns out to be the #1 center the Blue Jackets desire, then was it really that dumb of a pick? Was the drop off between Puljujarvi to Dubois that great where as one could well turn out to be a franchise center and one could turn out to be a franchise winger. What's more valuable in the NHL today? Ask any NHL GM how hard it is to trade for a true #1 center. It's like trading for a #1 Dman; tough. Puljujarvi was ranked the third best prospect and I am sure a lot of teams had Dubois at number four.

As an Oilers fan, I am ecstatic that Puljujarvi fell to us, but I am also a Blue Jackets fan (I know, strange eh) and I don't think this pick was nearly as bad as many are making it out to be, assuming Dubois turns into what Kekalainen thinks he has.

Thats why I say, time will tell. IF Dubois cant make it as a center, and has to switch to the wing, then I will agree with you but this is way too early to say it was a bad pick.
    I agree with your premise, and when I saw it I admit to feeling a bit stupid for not seeing this coming when it was rumored that they were apparently trying to move out of that spot. Like they say about mysteries, when you know who did it, the clues are obvious.

That being said, it is yet another dubious move by an organization that seems to have had its share of dubious moves. I would probably be fit to be tied if I was a Columbus fan this morning.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    It must have been all those last minute comparisons to Jamie Benn.
    Those comparisons have been going on for quite some time actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I guess that's why he's there and we are here slinging our arms over our armchairs. Someone has to make the tough calls.

If Dubois turns out to be the #1 center the Blue Jackets desire, then was it really that dumb of a pick? Was the drop off between Puljujarvi to Dubois that great where as one could well turn out to be a franchise center and one could turn out to be a franchise winger. What's more valuable in the NHL today? Ask any NHL GM how hard it is to trade for a true #1 center. It's like trading for a #1 Dman; tough. Puljujarvi was ranked the third best prospect and I am sure a lot of teams had Dubois at number four.

As an Oilers fan, I am ecstatic that Puljujarvi fell to us, but I am also a Blue Jackets fan (I know, strange eh) and I don't think this pick was nearly as bad as many are making it out to be, assuming Dubois turns into what Kekalainen thinks he has.

Thats why I say, time will tell. IF Dubois cant make it as a center, and has to switch to the wing, then I will agree with you but this is way too early to say it was a bad pick.
    I applaud Columbus for assessing an organizational need and drafting to that need. If Dubois was the guy they truly wanted, then its a win for them. They have the belief he can be a C in the NHL, other wise they probably would have looked to a different direction like Brown. But honestly, how far down could Columbus have moved to still get the guy they wanted? There was no certainty that Edmonton would take Tkachuk or D over him. Same with Vancouver...Vancouver really wanted Dubois as well. So would either of these two teams have flipped around to move up to 3? Probably not. So in Columbus' eyes, this was #1 on their board after Matthews (and maybe Laine) so if you're going to move down, you better damn well be sure you're still going to get the guy you want. I think, the only offers that came in were from further down the board and Columbus believed they would miss out on him. If this is what was felt is a missing piece in the organization moreso than a right winger, good on them.

Dobber Sports Pro

At #3 you take BPA. This was a bad pick. We don't even know if Dubois will end up as a centre.