Thread: Package picks 3OA and 4OA for #2 Laine?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Package picks 3OA and 4OA for #2 Laine?

Just a thought that I am seeking some guidance on. I have the 3OA and 4OA picks in the upcoming draft. #3 will be Puljujarvi and at #4 I will most likely have the choice of guys like Tkachuk, Dubois, Alex Nylander, Aho, Trochek and others. Would you keep Pulju and one of the others or make a move for Laine? I think this will most likely be my best shot at Laine, and I tend to prefer quality over quantity (goal heavy scoring system) but maybe the fantasy impact between Laine and Pulju doesn't warrant loosing a guy like Tkachuk or Aho or Dubois. Thoughts?
    10 teams, weekly matchup, play 3LW, 3C, 3RW, 4D, 2G per night
    Scoring for skaters: G (4), A (2.5), +/- (.5), BLKS (.2), HITS (.2), SOG (.2), PIMS (.25), PPG (1), PPA (.5), SHG (3), GWG (1)
    Scoring for goalies: W (3), S/O (5), SV(0.2), GA(-1)

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Package picks 3OA and 4OA for #2 Laine?

Quote Originally Posted by pier_hockey View Post
    Just a thought that I am seeking some guidance on. I have the 3OA and 4OA picks in the upcoming draft. #3 will be Puljujarvi and at #4 I will most likely have the choice of guys like Tkachuk, Dubois, Alex Nylander, Aho, Trochek and others. Would you keep Pulju and one of the others or make a move for Laine? I think this will most likely be my best shot at Laine, and I tend to prefer quality over quantity (goal heavy scoring system) but maybe the fantasy impact between Laine and Pulju doesn't warrant loosing a guy like Tkachuk or Aho or Dubois. Thoughts?
    Is this for the league in your signature? If so, I would do that deal. Only 10 teams without very deep rosters, I would definitely want quality over quantity. I do think Pulju is very close to Laine, but in a goal-heavy league he is far and away the better choice.

Dobber Sports Titan

I'm with rstr on this. Jump on it. Maybe see if you can get a late round pick back too or something to balance the numbers.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    Is this for the league in your signature? If so, I would do that deal. Only 10 teams without very deep rosters, I would definitely want quality over quantity. I do think Pulju is very close to Laine, but in a goal-heavy league he is far and away the better choice.
    yes, its for the league in sig. We keep 5 veterans and 5 rookies.
    Scoring for skaters: G (4), A (2.5), +/- (.5), BLKS (.2), HITS (.2), SOG (.2), PIMS (.25), PPG (1), PPA (.5), SHG (3), GWG (1)

Dobber Sports Expert

Yeah looks like a nobrainer

Dobber Sports Ace

Go for it
    14 team h/h dynasty
    Stats, G A PTS PIM +/- PPP SHP GWG shts TOI hts/blks W sv% gaa SO
    $89 mill salary cap, cap hits
    minors- players under 60 gms, goalies under 30 gms
    3c 3lw 3rw 4d 2util 1goal
    max 23 plyr rstr, 15 minors

CENTERS Kuznetsov, Necas, Petterson, Hughes, D.Strome, Seguin, Hayes, Scheifele
    LEFTWING Gaudreau, Mantha, Forsberg, Keller
    RIGHTWING Kakko , Debrincat, Thomas, Konecny
    D-MEN Girard, Provorov, McCavoy, Dobson, Makar
    GOALIES Gibson, Shesterkin, Sorokin
    IR
    MINORS Brannstrom, Kostin, Dennisenko, Kaprizov, Tippett, Cozens, Tolvanen, Zegras, Byfield , Vessalainen, K.Miller, Kyrou, Janik, Bokk, Lundell, Heinola, Hoglander, Lundkvist

Dobber Sports Icon

This would be a terrible deal for you. There's still a solid chance that Puljujarvi is a better fantasy asset than Laine even in a goal heavy league. There's no way I would be willing to add the 4th overall pick to get first choice of the two Finns this year.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    This would be a terrible deal for you. There's still a solid chance that Puljujarvi is a better fantasy asset than Laine even in a goal heavy league. There's no way I would be willing to add the 4th overall pick to get first choice of the two Finns this year.
    100% on this page as well.
    Commish of UNFFHL, dangered species being the sole Panthers fan on Dobber.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Flip a coin. If YOU FEEL Laine is goin to be the best of the two, then pull the trigger. If you're of the much valid, but lesser supported mind set that Pujl will be =\> LAine, then no... ChuckCouples is right. This is a definite over payment.

Personally I feel Laine is the better asset and will continue is to be the better assert (as do the vast majority of critics and scouts it seem) that said, I'm not confident in saying the difference will be vast enough to warrant tossing in the #4 as the kicker. Who really can say that.

Either way, I'd wait until they land on their respected teams and then make the sports gut call.

Good luck!

(I will be drafting Laine with my #2 pick and I've not given it another thought. But it's not costing me #4 to do so.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by pier_hockey View Post
    I'm a huge Puljujarvi booster. I think he's honestly a better player than Laine both as a complete player and honestly offensively. He's pretty much outscored Laine every step of the way, OUTSIDE the start of the regular season. Even in the playoffs he had a better PPG than Laine, and I think this idea that he's the more complete player has impacted how people view him offensively. They see the complete label and think he must not be a highly offensively talent player. Which I think is very wrong. But what I think doesn't really matter.

Ultimately I agree with HavanaBlast saying go with your gut. You know your league best, and chances are you probably have a good idea of what you want to do. But you came here looking for advice to help you make that decision, so I'll offer you what I would do in your position.

As a choice between Laine and Puljujarvi in your league I take Laine. He's a better fit for you with your league categories and stats. With it being goal heavy, Laine has a step in putting up more points than Puljujarvi, even though I think Puljujarvi will put up better point totals. Laine's ability to score goals outweights Pulj's ability to put up points. If he goes to Winnipeg, he'll be placed in a likely prime position to succeed with a talent center (Scheifele or Little) and he'll be in a situation where he can succeed a little better. Puljujarvi, if he goes to CBJ, will have a more difficult time putting up numbers early as he'll have less to work with. That's not a huge deal long term, but it will impact his totals this season.

Not for that trade? That's tough. That's a big cost to move up but it could be worth it. Does your league keep players under a certain games played limit? Will you even be able to keep the player you pick with the 4th overall pick? If not, I'm trading it right away.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Demi-God

to OP: What defines "rookie" in this league? Can you move them to your main team back-and-forth within a season? Or is it "once they're up, they stay up"?
    A keep 5 veterans, keep 5 rookies puts a lot of value on rookies... because it's like extra keepers.

I'm trying to envision this as a 2-for-2 deal:
    Laine + scrub rookie
    vs.
    Puljujarvi + Tkachuk

If it's "once they are up, they must stay up", then I like Laine.
    If you can flex them up & down or keep them on your rookie side for a long time... then I prefer Pulju & Tkachuk.

So... it depends on what "rookie" means and how you can use that type of player.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    to OP: What defines "rookie" in this league? Can you move them to your main team back-and-forth within a season? Or is it "once they're up, they stay up"?
    A keep 5 veterans, keep 5 rookies puts a lot of value on rookies... because it's like extra keepers.

I'm trying to envision this as a 2-for-2 deal:
    Laine + scrub rookie
    vs.
    Puljujarvi + Tkachuk

If it's "once they are up, they must stay up", then I like Laine.
    If you can flex them up & down or keep them on your rookie side for a long time... then I prefer Pulju & Tkachuk.

So... it depends on what "rookie" means and how you can use that type of player.
    In our league, a rookie is any player who has played less than 170 games in the NHL. We can keep 5 rookies from year to year. Our league scoring system is based on a weekly matchup where we set daily lines. The number of rookies we can play per night depends on the veteran-to-rookie ratio that makes up our 25 man roster. For example, 20 veterans and 5 rookies = 0 rookies can be plugged into the line-up. 19 veterans and 6 rookies enables us to play 1 rookie any given night. 18 veterans and 7 rookies means a team can plug 2 rookies into the lineup. 17 veterans and 8 rookies = 3 rookies can be played per night. I tend to roll with a roster made up of 17 veterans and 8 rookies which allows me get more man-games played per week by rotating 3 rookies in the line up per night. Does this make sense? Its kind of like a farm system but not. So I could pick Tkachuk who might not play much this year but since we have to have 5 rookies minimum, I could move him up and down depending on if he is playing or not. Plus we can keep 5 rookies under 170 NHL games. So rookies are pretty valuable in our league. Does Pulju in Edmonton make a difference?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
    Does your league keep players under a certain games played limit? Will you even be able to keep the player you pick with the 4th overall pick?
    We keep 5 veterans (above 170 NHL games) and 5 rookies (below 170 NHL games). So yes I could keep whoever I pick at #4 for the next few seasons.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

With JP in EDM and Tkachuk in CGY, I would prefer these two in my team...