Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Baseball early keeper look

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Baseball early keeper look

Mid June is usually the best point to evaluate baseball fantasy teams, and after that we get way too deep into the NHL draft and FA.
    12 team, keep 6 league, R, HR, RBI, SB, Avg, OBP, K, XBH / W, SV, K, ERA, Whip, QS, CG

Below are the relevant players for next season, just want to get a taste of other opinions for probably the top 4 I am keeping, and what the rest would be to try and package for upgrades as the last two keepers.

Votto
    Kinsler
    Arenado
    Bogaerts
    JD Martinez
    Yelich
    Carlos Gomez
    Lamb
    Gardiner

Kluber
    Cueto
    Teheran
    Chapman
    Giolito

Appreciate any and all responses.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Baseball early keeper look

I think these are the teirs/groups I'd put them in.

These top three seem like no brainers to keep.
    Arenado
    Bogaerts
    Kluber

I feel like I'd try to package any of these guys for an upgrade, but I would also be ok using a keeper spot on them as well if there are no better options.
    Votto - aging but useful
    JD Martinez - aging but useful
    Yelich - young with potential, but might help yield the best haul
    Cueto - can't stand this guy and I would trade him
    Teheran - seems to defy advanced stats, but continues to perform
    Chapman - best of the closers, but just so hard to justify keeping a closer and could help yield the best return

Giolito - good prospect, but you can't keep an unproven prospect in a limited keeper
    Kinsler - aging but plays a limited position and could be kept if nothing else available
    Lamb - young but unproven and I think you have better options right now

Carlos Gomez - he's done. sell him when you can.
    Gardiner - useful piece, but just not good enough for a keeper spot

That's my two cents.

Dobber Sports Titan

No too far off what I see, which is nice.
    A couple of my thoughts:
    Cueto isn't a favourite of mine either, but you can't deny the numbers. If the right deal came along then I would deal him.
    JD Martinez is only 28, so he would be in my top tier, as I don't see him as "aging".

Also to note, there is no offseason trading, and I am currently in second place.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    No too far off what I see, which is nice.
    A couple of my thoughts:
    Cueto isn't a favourite of mine either, but you can't deny the numbers. If the right deal came along then I would deal him.
    JD Martinez is only 28, so he would be in my top tier, as I don't see him as "aging".

Also to note, there is no offseason trading, and I am currently in second place.
    I am not as familiar with Martinez, and the being the case, I would likely bump him up there as well.

If you're in the 2-spot, I think I'd be sitting tight and possibly trying to move Gioloto/Lamb for an upgrade. I would also make a lateral move with Cueto for a guy I like better, but those aren't always easy as most people want to win a trade.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    I am not as familiar with Martinez, and the being the case, I would likely bump him up there as well.

If you're in the 2-spot, I think I'd be sitting tight and possibly trying to move Gioloto/Lamb for an upgrade. I would also make a lateral move with Cueto for a guy I like better, but those aren't always easy as most people want to win a trade.
    Yeah, there are some interesting trading partners in this league, so I will see what I can manage. I have been trying to get an upgrade on Votto for a while now but can't get a bite there. I think trades are probably going to have to wait for closer to the deadline, but I want to get a few discussions going earlier.

Dobber Sports Titan

So I managed to make a deal that just makes this foggier.
    My
    Yelich
    Teheran
    Contreras (Cubs rookie catcher)
    13th rounder

His
    Blackmon
    Archer
    Gattis
    9th rounder (Keep 6 league, so 9th round would be around the 200th player)

Archer and Blackmon are guys that I would almost want to keep both of... With Cueto and Kluber though, Archer isn't a necessity.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I know I'm in the league haha but I'll try to give an objective view:

I think after the most recent deal I'd have your keepers as:

1. Arenado
    2. Bogaerts
    3. Martinez
    4. Blackmon
    5. Kluber
    6. Cueto/Votto

I would look for an upgrade in keepers 3 - 6 depending on your opinion on the future (2 year) outlook for players you currently have.
    10 Team Yahoo H2H Keep 5 G, A, PPP, FOW, SOG, HITS, BLKS, W, GAA, SV, SV%
    C,C,LW,LW,RW,RW,F,F,D,D,D,D,G,G,BN,BN,BN,BN,BN,IR+ ,IR+
    Keepers:
    Makar, J. Hughes, T. Meier, K. Connor, Ovechkin

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by TheNugeCooge View Post
    I know I'm in the league haha but I'll try to give an objective view:

I think after the most recent deal I'd have your keepers as:

1. Arenado
    2. Bogaerts
    3. Martinez
    4. Blackmon
    5. Kluber
    6. Cueto/Votto

I would look for an upgrade in keepers 3 - 6 depending on your opinion on the future (2 year) outlook for players you currently have.
    Did not realize that you were in there! I'll have to be careful what I post here now!
    I do have pretty close to the same views as you on my keepers.
    If you feel like parting with Rizzo/Machado so I can upgrade my keepers, let me know

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Wow, Not sure what your specific needs were prior to the trade, But I actually much prefer the players you traded away given their age and upside. That being said, the only player you received back that should be considered a keeper IMO is Blackmon. With what you've listed my keepers would be:

1. Arenado
    2. Bogaerts
    3. Martinez
    4. Blackmon/Chapman
    5. Kluber
    6. Cueto
    Former Dobber Baseball Writer/Contributor - Top 150 Hitters, Top 100 SP and Top 50 RP Rankings.

Main Roster:
    C: Robert Thomas, Ryan O'Reilly, Casey Mittlestaddt, Vincent Trockhek, Dylan Strome, Brock Nelson, Troy Terry, Colin White
    RW: Nikita Kucherov, Sam Reinhart, Vladimir Tarasenko, Mats Zucarello,
    LW: Jason Robertson, Nikolaj Ehlers, Max Comtois, Zach Hyman, Christian Dvorak, James VanRiemsdyk, Andrew Mangiapane
    D: Erik Karlsson, Shea Theodore, John Klingberg, Travis Sanheim, Mike Reilly
    G: Carey Price, Juuse Saros, Elvis Merzlikins, Petr Mrazek

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by MacLiii View Post
    Wow, Not sure what your specific needs were prior to the trade, But I actually much prefer the players you traded away given their age and upside. That being said, the only player you received back that should be considered a keeper IMO is Blackmon. With what you've listed my keepers would be:

1. Arenado
    2. Bogaerts
    3. Martinez
    4. Blackmon/Chapman
    5. Kluber
    6. Cueto
    I feel like my team has quite a bit of depth, so I was mainly trying to upgrade a keeper spot to Blackmon.
    Tough to really know where to fit Chapman in, as closers are tough to keep in general, and are kept even less in this league. He is the top closer though (or would be with a full season) so it's a tough call. Thanks for the input on the keeper list though!

Dobber Sports Titan

Trade deadline is passed, and I ended up with a team I am very happy with going to playoffs, but it will give me some tough keeper decisions.
    I would like to go with 4 batters and 2 starters. Automatics would be Arenado, Bogaerts, Blackmon, Scherzer.
    So my last decisions are between JD Martinez/Votto, and between Kluber/Syndergaard.

I have a choice in my head, and lots of time to think it over, but always curious to hear some outside opinions.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Of the players left, I would probably go with Votto and Syndergaard. I think Syndergaard has SP5-10 upside very soon, within 2 years. Votto is just a monster in your league type. He's a small step back in power than Martinez, but is one of the top OBP options, will still jack a good number of HR's, and strikes out less. Also, you have a legit power option with Arenado, 2 power/speed guys in X and Blackmon, and Votto gives you a cornerstone OBP guy. Plus, that's a great 1b/3b/SS combo
    12 team, keep 13 (4 sport league)
    3pts per goal, 2 per assist, 2 per SHG
    5pts per win, 3 per shutout, 0.2 per save, -1 per GA
    Forwards
    Center-Kuznetsov, Matthews, Barkov, Johansen, Guentzel
    LW-Panarin, Voracek, Granlund
    RW-Pavelski, Wheeler, Kane
    Defense
    Shattenkirk, Carlson, Weber, Brodie, Markov
    Goalies
    Murray, Allen, Hellebuyck, Budaj, MAF, Halak

IR-Stamkos

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by foltzie View Post
    Of the players left, I would probably go with Votto and Syndergaard. I think Syndergaard has SP5-10 upside very soon, within 2 years. Votto is just a monster in your league type. He's a small step back in power than Martinez, but is one of the top OBP options, will still jack a good number of HR's, and strikes out less. Also, you have a legit power option with Arenado, 2 power/speed guys in X and Blackmon, and Votto gives you a cornerstone OBP guy. Plus, that's a great 1b/3b/SS combo
    I don't disagree with you, the only points I would make is that Votto has no support in Cincy, and at 32 isn't going up. Plus my league isn't very high on 1B, since they're fairly easy to find in a 12 team league. Then again, so are OF, and JD isn't much younger.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I don't disagree with you, the only points I would make is that Votto has no support in Cincy, and at 32 isn't going up. Plus my league isn't very high on 1B, since they're fairly easy to find in a 12 team league. Then again, so are OF, and JD isn't much younger.
    I had started to tell you Martinez, but in a league that has obp, votto is one of the best obp guys to have. he is so much better at obp and can still give you 30+ hr. You have power covered with Arenado's, potential 40hr bat. Votto gives you a huge boost in obp over almost anyone. And that could potentially be even better with little lineup support, no reason to pitch to him all the time so easy walks for more obp
    12 team, keep 13 (4 sport league)
    3pts per goal, 2 per assist, 2 per SHG
    5pts per win, 3 per shutout, 0.2 per save, -1 per GA
    Forwards
    Center-Kuznetsov, Matthews, Barkov, Johansen, Guentzel
    LW-Panarin, Voracek, Granlund
    RW-Pavelski, Wheeler, Kane
    Defense
    Shattenkirk, Carlson, Weber, Brodie, Markov
    Goalies
    Murray, Allen, Hellebuyck, Budaj, MAF, Halak

IR-Stamkos

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by foltzie View Post
    I had started to tell you Martinez, but in a league that has obp, votto is one of the best obp guys to have. he is so much better at obp and can still give you 30+ hr. You have power covered with Arenado's, potential 40hr bat. Votto gives you a huge boost in obp over almost anyone. And that could potentially be even better with little lineup support, no reason to pitch to him all the time so easy walks for more obp
    Yeah. I don't have to decide yet. Best case scenario, the Jays let Bautista/EE walk, and then trade for Votto. Votto making sense as a 1B replacement power bat, and we can afford his albatross contract because of the ticket price increases. Like the Liriano deal, you almost wonder if the Jays wouldn't have to give up much.
    Anyways, I digress. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!