Thread: Goalie logjam-what to do?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Goalie logjam-what to do?

I'm in a 4 sport league, hockey roster in sig.
    I snatched Murray off FA at seasons end on a whim(better to be lucky than good sometimes), but now I don't know what to do.
    I was planning on keeping 3 goalies(MAF, Bishop, and Hellebuyck) before the playoffs started. But now I have Murray sitting here, and I know I can't cut him loose. Do I deal Murray? Deal Hellebuyck? Or keep 4 goalies and deal one of my forwards?
    12 team, keep 13 (4 sport league)
    3pts per goal, 2 per assist, 2 per SHG
    5pts per win, 3 per shutout, 0.2 per save, -1 per GA
    Forwards
    Center-Kuznetsov, Matthews, Barkov, Johansen, Guentzel
    LW-Panarin, Voracek, Granlund
    RW-Pavelski, Wheeler, Kane
    Defense
    Shattenkirk, Carlson, Weber, Brodie, Markov
    Goalies
    Murray, Allen, Hellebuyck, Budaj, MAF, Halak

IR-Stamkos

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: Goalie logjam-what to do?

It would depend on the returns you can garner. MAF probably has the lowest value amongst fantasy circles right now. I think Bishop may land you the most but right now is your only sure bet starter. I would see what kind of return you could get on Murray. His value is sky-high right now after the playoffs and will likely net you the best return. But I would put feelers out on all four and gauge the market.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    It would depend on the returns you can garner. MAF probably has the lowest value amongst fantasy circles right now. I think Bishop may land you the most but right now is your only sure bet starter. I would see what kind of return you could get on Murray. His value is sky-high right now after the playoffs and will likely net you the best return. But I would put feelers out on all four and gauge the market.
    That's where you start, and you let the other GMs dictate where you go from there.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I guess I should follow up with 2 questions I have for that
    1-Should I worry that MAF will be dealt this summer ahead of the Expansion draft next year?
    2-How should I value these guys right now? Like, what's a fair offer?
    Forwards
    Defense
    Goalies

IR-Stamkos

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by foltzie View Post
    I'm in a 4 sport league, hockey roster in sig.
    I snatched Murray off FA at seasons end on a whim(better to be lucky than good sometimes), but now I don't know what to do.
    I was planning on keeping 3 goalies(MAF, Bishop, and Hellebuyck) before the playoffs started. But now I have Murray sitting here, and I know I can't cut him loose. Do I deal Murray? Deal Hellebuyck? Or keep 4 goalies and deal one of my forwards?
    ABSOLUTELY. UNEQUIVOCALLY. AND UNDER EVERY, SINGLE, CIRCUMSTANCE ... deal MAF. Sometimes taking a minor loss is worth it when the alternative could be a MAJOR loss.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Giant

It's a 12-team league. If you own 4 potential starters (if Helle gets the reins and Fleury is moved out), I'm pretty confident that some teams will only have 1 starter and be desperately looking for another one. If it were up to me, I would keep the 4 goalies and actively try to shop 1 (Fleury or Hellebuyck) to a manager in need. I'm pretty sure you could land a better player than Ehlers if you find a manager that needs that extra help in nets.

As for Fleury, if he is moved, I doubt he doesn't own the crease of his new team. People tend to crap on him and say that his stats are the result of a good D, but the guy is pretty good. Yes he chokes from time to time, but he is a legit top-10 goalie (closer to the 10 IMO) and could help pretty much any NHL team in need without having his stats fluctuate too much.

I would rank Bishop as your top tender (expansion or not) followed by Fleury and then a split with Helle and Murray. Fleury's perceived value took a hit but if you find a manager that is not affected by this, I think you can get an older 50-pt D (i.e. I know you own Keith but it would be a guy like him) or a 60-70pt forward with some upside (Toffoli or even Forsberg). If you are trading with a rebuilding team, then the 2 younger goalies would carry more value.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    It's a 12-team league. If you own 4 potential starters (if Helle gets the reins and Fleury is moved out), I'm pretty confident that some teams will only have 1 starter and be desperately looking for another one. If it were up to me, I would keep the 4 goalies and actively try to shop 1 (Fleury or Helly) to a manager in need. I'm pretty sure you could land a better player than Ehlers if you find a manager that needs that extra help in nets.

As for Fleury, if he is moved, I doubt he doesn't own the crease of his new team. People tend to crap on him and say that his stats are the result of a good D, but the guy is pretty good. yes he chokes from time to time, but he is a legit top-10 goalie (closer to the 10 IMO) and could help pretty much any team in need without having his stats fluctuate too much.

I would rank Bishop as your top tender (expansion or not) followed by Fleury and then a split with Helle and Murray. Fleury's perceived value took a hit but if you find a manager that is not affected by this, I think you can get an older 50-pt D (i.e. I know you own Keith but it would be a guy like him) or a 60-70pt forward with some upside (Toffoli or even Forsberg). If you are trading with a rebuilding team, then the 2 younger goalies would carry more value.
    MAF would be an unquestioned starter on CGY, TOR just to name two right there. MAF could be the perfect "transitional" goalie for both teams while guys develop in the system (especially Gillies in CGY). I don't really think TOR and Babcock deviate from the plan and send a major asset for MAF, but I could see the Pens easily prying someone from CGY. I saw a proposal floated around by @GunnerStaal on Twitter which proffered: "Michael Frolik for MAF"

Seems reasonable to me. Frolik is a useful but not amazing forward. He's probably not part of long-term plans in Calgary given his age, and MAF would be a cheaply-acquired transitional goalie to help Gillies develop, as well as provide a two-time Cup winner and marketable star to go along with Monahan, Gaudreau, Gio, Brodie, etc.

Seems like a win-win to me. Opportunity cost low for both sides. Could be GREATLY beneficial to both sides. Makes perfect sense.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    It's a 12-team league. If you own 4 potential starters (if Helle gets the reins and Fleury is moved out), I'm pretty confident that some teams will only have 1 starter and be desperately looking for another one. If it were up to me, I would keep the 4 goalies and actively try to shop 1 (Fleury or Hellebuyck) to a manager in need. I'm pretty sure you could land a better player than Ehlers if you find a manager that needs that extra help in nets.

As for Fleury, if he is moved, I doubt he doesn't own the crease of his new team. People tend to crap on him and say that his stats are the result of a good D, but the guy is pretty good. Yes he chokes from time to time, but he is a legit top-10 goalie (closer to the 10 IMO) and could help pretty much any NHL team in need without having his stats fluctuate too much.

No real better advice than that. Well said and in depth.
    The only thing I would add, is don't feel forced to move a goalie. Even if you start the season with 4, Bob, Varly and Hank will get injured (for example) and this will create some very desperate trading partners. Don't pull the trigger unless you are 100% happy with the deal.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    The only thing I would add, is don't feel forced to move a goalie. Even if you start the season with 4, Bob, Varly and Hank will get injured (for example) and this will create some very desperate trading partners. Don't pull the trigger unless you are 100% happy with the deal.
    I definitely won't do a deal I feel is underwhelming, but if I keep all 4, I'd have to drop a skater. Which wouldn't have been too much of an issue, but I just traded away the #1 overall pick
    Forwards
    Defense
    Goalies

IR-Stamkos

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post

Wise words. This is one of those good problems to have.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Grand Master

You are in a 4 sport league, which leads to all sorts of weird possibilities, and it comes with how your rules are set up.

#1: This is not necessarily a hockey deal. You could lose a hockey deal, and win a football deal. Goalie & junk QB for QB & junk goalie, for example. This assumes you are allowed to make deals with the same owner in multiple sports, but I haven't seen a league where a deal in sport freezes you from dealing elsewhere.

#2: If this is required to be just a hockey deal, put your feelers out, but remember the owners you've found easy to deal with in other sports as well. That way, you can continue to create goodwill in a deal which helps both sides get what they want.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    You are in a 4 sport league, which leads to all sorts of weird possibilities, and it comes with how your rules are set up.

#1: This is not necessarily a hockey deal. You could lose a hockey deal, and win a football deal. Goalie & junk QB for QB & junk goalie, for example. This assumes you are allowed to make deals with the same owner in multiple sports, but I haven't seen a league where a deal in sport freezes you from dealing elsewhere.

#2: If this is required to be just a hockey deal, put your feelers out, but remember the owners you've found easy to deal with in other sports as well. That way, you can continue to create goodwill in a deal which helps both sides get what they want.
    No restrictions on a deal. I could trade a goalie straight up for a guy in another sport if I wanted to, and get nothing in return on the hockey side. Makes for some fun negotiations. Big learning curve, especially when I hadn't been in a NHL or NBA fantasy league in 10+ years, but now that I have a season under my belt, I literally can't wait for the draft in those sports
    Forwards
    Defense
    Goalies

IR-Stamkos

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by foltzie View Post
    No restrictions on a deal. I could trade a goalie straight up for a guy in another sport if I wanted to, and get nothing in return on the hockey side. Makes for some fun negotiations. Big learning curve, especially when I hadn't been in a NHL or NBA fantasy league in 10+ years, but now that I have a season under my belt, I literally can't wait for the draft in those sports
    Given that, I would move one of your goalies for a player at a position in another sport with more longevity in it. By this I mean a position where elite producers tend to have longer productive careers than in net. Specifically, QB/WR/PG/OF would be my targets, maybe including 2B, 3B & Center (basketball, and spelled out so you know it's not Catcher) if you can find somebody you really like. Some of these offer positional scarcity benefits as well.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Stud

I'm not qualified for this 4 sport stuff but I love the Blues logo +1
    16 Team Dynasty Weekly H2H Fantrax (starters in bold)

G A P +/- PIM SOG PPP H+B FOW --- W SV SV% GAA SO

(C) Krejci, Spezza, Koivo, Statsny Faksa
    (LW) Zetterberg, Duclair, Ehlers, M Domi Belesky, M Martin
    (RW) Pastrnak, Oshie, Larkin, Toffoli S Reinhart, Brouwer
    (D) J Honka, Seabrook, Goligoski, D DeKeyser, Vatanen, Parayko L Schenn, S Johns
    (G) Ward, Lack

Prospects- W Nylander, C Dvorak, I Barbashev, C White, T Rattie, M Dal Colle, A Mantha, R Barber, L Crouse, M Barzal, C Keller, L Brown, C Fischer, B Point, J Forsbacka-Karlsson