Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: [Rumor] Flames contact Pens about Fleury

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: [Rumor] Flames contact Pens about Fleury

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    So you're saying Pittsburgh can't win a cup with Murray.....?

This isn't some flash in the pan like Andrew Hammond or even Cam Ward for that matter, Murray has established dominance at just about every level he's played. He's not just going to come crashing back down to earth.
    Well said!
    16 Team Dynasty Weekly H2H Fantrax (starters in bold)

G A P +/- PIM SOG PPP H+B FOW --- W SV SV% GAA SO

(C) Krejci, Spezza, Koivo, Statsny Faksa
    (LW) Zetterberg, Duclair, Ehlers, M Domi Belesky, M Martin
    (RW) Pastrnak, Oshie, Larkin, Toffoli S Reinhart, Brouwer
    (D) J Honka, Seabrook, Goligoski, D DeKeyser, Vatanen, Parayko L Schenn, S Johns
    (G) Ward, Lack

Prospects- W Nylander, C Dvorak, I Barbashev, C White, T Rattie, M Dal Colle, A Mantha, R Barber, L Crouse, M Barzal, C Keller, L Brown, C Fischer, B Point, J Forsbacka-Karlsson

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm a big Pens fan and Fleury has been my favourite goalie in the league since he was drafted by the Pens.
    I have also lived in Calgary the last 4 years.
    Once again, ZERO chance the Flames are willing to include Brodie in trade talks.
    Fleury is good and underrated by some (he's been rock solid the last two years) but goalies just don't have that kind of trade value right now, especially when any GM can see the Pens could use the cap relief by trading MAF.

Anyone think Ottawa or Dallas could have interest?

Anderson+ for Fleury? or Niemi (salad retained)+ for Fleury and then trade Lehtonen in exchange for an undesirable contract at a different position? Moulson perhaps?
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Pittsburgh is not trading Murray. Toronto was trying very hard to have Murray included in the Kessel deal and Pens wanted nothing to do with it. A few teams were trying to acquire Murray before he even played an NHL game, never mind after winning a cup.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks the Penguins are more likely to trade Murray than they are to trade Fleury. Murray will have more trade value due to his age but Fleury is likely still a better goalie. The Penguins Cup window is closing quickly as Crosby and Malkin are not getting younger. Moving Murray for a dman and a back up goalie is probably the smartest thing they could do.
    There are actually two reasons why the Pens will move Fleury, before they even consider to trade Murray. First one is age, Murray is a lot younger and he will also not complain in a split situation. He will be happy for every single game he plays. The second and probably more important reason is the cap space the would suddenly have with Fleury getting traded. They could sign a solid cheaper goalie and spend the rest to improve the roster.

Anyway Fleury will only leave if he says that he wants to and i'm not sure that's the case right now.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/06/20...ing-goaltender

Rutherford wants a 1st round pick from the Flames for Fleury.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy BZ View Post
    http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/06/20...ing-goaltender

Rutherford wants a 1st round pick from the Flames for Fleury.
    Lol

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^I agree.

I think Rutherford can make a statement like that to cover two bases:
    1) It says that Fleury is still considered a valuable piece to the Penguins. (This need not be a true statement, just a statement to show team-support & value towards a long-time Penguin).
    2) And... if somebody so cares to pay it... then... call me!

Dobber Sports Deity

Pittsburgh knows that the Flames needs a starter, especially with Andersen going East; they are trying to exploit that. Can't say I blame him for asking, but we all know he wont get that pick for MAF.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Pittsburgh knows that the Flames needs a starter, especially with Andersen going East; they are trying to exploit that. Can't say I blame him for asking, but we all know he wont get that pick for MAF.
    First off, I just want to remind everyone that the NHL is a business -- which we, of course, all know by now. That being said, GMJR is just starting his negotiations off the right way by asking for a big price, in a way I'm sure was respectful, in order to "come down" to a more reasonable compromise type deal. But GMJR knows, and he knows Calgary knows, that Calgary is the perfect landing spot for MAF. Andersen was their first choice, but apparently the Ducks didn't want to trade him within the division so the deal (whether you like it or hate it) materialized with Toronto. So there goes Andersen as a goalie who might be on the market.

Next comes Ben Bishop. The main point here is that he's only got one year on his contract. Does he really want to sign an extension with the Flames to suffer through some hard years of rebuilding after backstopping two teams to Stanley Cup Finals appearances? I think not. And from the Flames perspective, do they really want to shell out major assets -- relative to MAF -- in order to secure a guy who only has one year on his contract and probably won't re-sign? I think not, as well.

So that brings us next to the Dallas netminders. Nobody wants them. Totally sunk contracts, and I think these guys are desperation options for cap floor teams looking to acquire assets in exchange ala Carolina absolutely fleecing Terevainen for the cap-relief. But saving a scenario like that, the Dallas goalies aren't an option for the Flames.

And finally, we get to MAF. This guy is a consummate professional. Backstopped the 2009 Penguins to a Stanley Cup championship, was a beloved teammate and a leader by example on the ice every single day. He is a likeable guy, and a fantastic human being with a good family who has always given back to the community. Multiple Stanley Cup championships aside, MAF has had two seasons in a row posting at or near career high numbers, and the duration of his contract is just perfect for the FLames transitional philosophy. They can trade say a 2nd / 3rd round draft pick for MAF (with no salary retained), for example. In this scenario, the Flames get a proven winner, a marketable face and "star" goalie for the team, an experienced veteran playing near the best hockey of his life, someone who is a good role model to lead the team and be a well-liked and respected teammate to contribute to a winning culture in Calgary. JUST like he served as a mentor (with absolute class and grace) to Matt Murray this season, and during the Stanley Cup playoffs, MAF can do the exact same thing with Jon Gillies within the organization. MAF gets his unquestioned #1 job for a couple seasons, and then the reins are passed along to the future. MAF can show his stuff,, get a nice final contract and ride off into the sunset.

NOW .... From the Penguins perspective this deal accomplishes a couple things:

First off, it clear a massive amount of cap space, almost $6 million. That's a nice chunk of change. This could potentially allow the Penguins to go after some bigger name FAs on the market right now. Here's a couple of different looks:

Sheary-Crosby-Okposo
    Kunitz-Malkin-Hornqvist
    Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel
    Rust-Fehr-Kuknackl

Letang-Dumoulin
    Daley-Maatta
    Pouliot- ____

Murray, competent backup signed cheap.

HERE is another look:

Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist
    Kunitz-Malkin-Rust
    Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel
    Wilson-Fehr-Kuhnackl

Letang-Dumoulin
    Daley-Maatta
    Pouliot- Campbell / Demers / Hamhuis?

I think I'm in love with both of these options, and quite honestly it's not as "pie in the sky" as you might think. Especially if Okposo takes below market value to play on Sid's RW, then you can potentially ALSO add Dan Hamhuis as a nice kicker. How awesome would that be?
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Apprentice

After seeing what the Leafs gave up for Andersen does this put a more realistic price tag on MAF? Second pick and prospect maybe? I think this puts Brodie further out of reach with this trade.
    Plus, isn't Pittsburgh 2 something over the cap right now? If Fleury has 5.5 mill and Brodie has 4.5 mill that still puts them over the cap. I think this would be a bad swap as they would need to make another move to get under the cap.
    Keep 3 League, 14 team H2H, Roster: 6F, 4D, 4BN, 2G
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, PIM, HITS, BLKS, W, GAA, SA, SV%
    F: Matthews, Pastrnak, Hughes, Pettersson, Guentzel, Meier, Hyman, Streamer
    D: Dahlin, Carlson, Trouba, Gudas, Larsson
    G: Oettinger, Talbot, Swayman

One Year League, 10 Team H2H, Roster: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, W, F, 4D, UTIL, 5BN, 2G
    Cats: G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, SH%, PIM, HITS, BLKS W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    C: McDavid, Thomas, Rossi
    LW: Guentzel, McTavish, Byfield, Huberdeau
    RW: Miller, Barzal, Zuccarello, Schmaltz, Tarasenko
    D: Josi, Seider, Trouba, Gudas, L. Hughes
    G: Oettinger, Demko
    IR: Hamilton

Dobber Sports Guru

With that contract I can't see the price for Fleury being very high. (Same goes for Bishop)

Also, maybe it's the benefit of not paying very close attention this year, but wasn't it not long ago that there were major questions about Fleury being the answer in PIT? I'm somewhat surprised to see this resurgence in his reputation. Wrong side of 30, big contract... I really hope the Flames steer clear of this.

Also people should note that the Flames have some tricky cap considerations coming in the next year or so.

One final note: so far, Treliving has been fairly stealthy with his deals. Watch me be proven wrong, but the existence of a rumour is a sign that the trade isn't happening.