Thread: Grant McCagg at McKeen's Get's Defensive Over Laine Backlash

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Grant McCagg at McKeen's Get's Defensive Over Laine Backlash

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=2090585

Grant McCagg posted a response on hfboards regarding the backlash about McKeen's ranking Laine first ahead of Matthews.

It's pretty long, and he goes on to point out Leaf fans in particular, compared the Laine/Matthews situation to the Yakupov/Galchenyuk situation, talks about how he thinks Laine could be the best forward in the league in a few years, and then goes on to talk about why his background and scouting accomplishments give him credence to make that call.

It's a doozy, and it funny enough, he barely talks about the reasoning behind the decisions.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Grant McCagg at McKeen's Get's Defensive Over Laine Backlash

I dunno, man.

I thought it was a very reasonable explanation of why he likes Laine over Matthews, and I appreciate that McCagg took the time to write and explain his reasoning.

I'm going to guess there's a lot of anonymous rippage of McKeens and McCagg..and he finally had enough of it.

Truth be told, who among us has seen much of Laine and Matthews? I haven't. But I also don't pretend to say I have.

Dobber Sports Pro

This was a recent HF boards trade proposal that had Canucks fans saying no or asking MTL to add more, and some even saying Subban for #5 was a starting point. MTL fans threw even more insane ones back:

To Vancouver: Max Pacioretty, David Desharnais ($1 million retained), 3rd 2017

To Montreal: 1st 2016, 3rd 2016, Alex Burrows, Yan-Pavel Laplante

Anyway, I am guessing he got fed up with the utter crap this is on there. I know I have never gone back.

But yeah, that must have taken an hour or so to write haha
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Deity

I dont know how anyone can bark at anyone who puts themselves out there. These are their opinions on who these teams will take. At this point, unless you are actually in the war rooms of any of these teams, NO ONE truly knows what any of them are thinking, and the ones who do normally aren't saying much.

It's just dumb for anyone to criticize his rankings. They are his rankings. If you don't like his rankings, do your own and justify them yourself.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

I'll just say if I did draft rankings and someone criticized the list I'd have no problem with it. Just like all articles here have a comment section. Everything is open to opinions. If a comment is out of line it's very easy to just ignore and move on. Getting defensive is quite comical to me.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    It's just dumb for anyone to criticize his rankings. They are his rankings. If you don't like his rankings, do your own and justify them yourself.
    It's just how HFBoards works. Everyone attacks rankings as if theyre official. People attack trade proposals as if theyre real, and pretend to reject them as if they are an actual GM. So many fools on that board.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I like reading Spectors rumors, but those guys who comment on the bottom are so comical, I just can't help but read them most of the time..

I respect McCagg for responding!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I dont know how anyone can bark at anyone who puts themselves out there. These are their opinions on who these teams will take. At this point, unless you are actually in the war rooms of any of these teams, NO ONE truly knows what any of them are thinking, and the ones who do normally aren't saying much.

What? I'm sorry that's a ridiculous thing to think. Of course you're going to have people disagreeing and criticizing it. Putting something out for public consumption and not expecting people to agree or disagree is silly. That's like Apple putting out an iPhone and expecting everyone to just be like "meh ok". Why should we expect him to put out rankings with zero response to them?

And frankly I'm the product, if I don't like what I see, I think I can disagree and ask why he feels that way. I see nothing wrong with that. I think it's quite fair to ask for reasons why he felt that way. They weren't exactly great reasons to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I'll just say if I did draft rankings and someone criticized the list I'd have no problem with it. Just like all articles here have a comment section. Everything is open to opinions. If a comment is out of line it's very easy to just ignore and move on. Getting defensive is quite comical to me.
    Agreed, completely. Responding to criticism is fine but the way he did it bothered me. He basically tried to say everyone should shutup.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I like reading Spectors rumors, but those guys who comment on the bottom are so comical, I just can't help but read them most of the time..

I respect McCagg for responding!!
    Eh I'd respect him more if he didn't devolve into trying to blame a certain group and say they were being ridiculous, and then devolve into why we should all just listen because this is his job. I respect him for putting in the work and taking the time to put out a list, but the response was not only lacking but it was arrogant and insulting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
    I dunno, man.

I thought it was a very reasonable explanation of why he likes Laine over Matthews, and I appreciate that McCagg took the time to write and explain his reasoning.

I'm going to guess there's a lot of anonymous rippage of McKeens and McCagg..and he finally had enough of it.

Truth be told, who among us has seen much of Laine and Matthews? I haven't. But I also don't pretend to say I have.
    I actually disagree with that. He said the reasoning he had Laine over Matthews was because he thought Laine could be the TOP forward in the league, and MAtthews could be a top 5 center. That's fine with me, I might not agree but I don't have issue with him saying that.

What I think was weak was that he didn't explain WHY he believed that very well besides saying "highest goals in a the FEL playoffs". It was weak and not well explained. Not to mention the ranking in the first place was pretty weakly argued and then contradicted a few picks later.
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Ace

^^ What are you wanting then?

To me, he explained that he thinks Laine has a chance to be the top forward in the league - based on a few reasons - while explaining his views on Matthews. What more do you want? A detailed analysis of skating stride, shot release, shot speed, maturity, size, how TOR/WPG factors will affect everything?

Have you seen either Matthews or Laine play in-depth? Have you broken them down and seen something he hasn't? What makes you so sure Matthews will be better than Laine?

I don't think you understand how many ridiculous and negative comments - and probably a ton of personal shots too - a guy like McCagg will see, all because he has Laine over Matthews. After a while, I guarantee he hits a wall and gets sick of it.

You've started a thread here to bash him, and all I get from you is that you think McCagg should have explained himself better. He DID explain his thinking. Now - just like fantasy hockey - you can do some research and decide if he's correct or not....and if he's not, explain why. You haven't done that. You've just takenmore shots at him

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I guess my thing is why does any of this matter....for starters as far as I know he is not actually making a pick for any of the 30 teams so take what he thinks with a grain of salt and move on. There is no need to bash someone because they rank a guy higher then someone else it is embarrassing, especially coming from people who I can guarantee 99 percent have never seen either play live right in front of them. TV appearances mean absolutely nothing, you only get to see them when they have the puck for a half second you don't get to see the plays develop, their skating ability, their anticipation etc...

Probably not the best example out there but if you did a poll of 100 people I am sure it could be quite close....Do you want Crosby or Ovechkin?

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
    ^^ What are you wanting then?

To me, he explained that he thinks Laine has a chance to be the top forward in the league - based on a few reasons - while explaining his views on Matthews. What more do you want? A detailed analysis of skating stride, shot release, shot speed, maturity, size, how TOR/WPG factors will affect everything?

Have you seen either Matthews or Laine play in-depth? Have you broken them down and seen something he hasn't? What makes you so sure Matthews will be better than Laine?

I don't think you understand how many ridiculous and negative comments - and probably a ton of personal shots too - a guy like McCagg will see, all because he has Laine over Matthews. After a while, I guarantee he hits a wall and gets sick of it.

You've started a thread here to bash him, and all I get from you is that you think McCagg should have explained himself better. He DID explain his thinking. Now - just like fantasy hockey - you can do some research and decide if he's correct or not....and if he's not, explain why. You haven't done that. You've just takenmore shots at him
    Whether or not I've seen either of them really doesn't matter (I have). Like at all. He's putting out a product and should have a reasonable expectation that he's going to get that product judged. If he can't defend that with somewhat reasoned explanation that doesn't come down to "I'm a scout, your not," then of course he's going to get criticism. And he certainly didn't give a great response to why he had Laine ranked that high.

His response (which can't be seen now because hfboards deleted it. Because of course they did) basically said "his numbers in the playoffs were huge, he's young, therefore we think he can be an incredible prospect". That's not a great explanation at all. If that's what passes for acceptable for making one of the boldest scouting claims in recent history...

His original reasoning for having Laine at one was better than that, he actually explained that he likes the way he creates space, his shot, his vision, his release. I'm more ok with that.

But then posting some rant on the backlash he's going to receive based on a clearly controversial statement and his biggest reasoning why it's legit is the fact he's paid to scout and has NHL relationships? Come on.

He definitely doesn't deserve the ridiculous and negative comments based on him personally but he shouldn't expect to receive only positive comments about his work if he's putting them out for public consumption and trying to sell it to people. That's delusional. And it certainly doesn't excuse ranting at people and getting high and might on them

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dino200022 View Post
    I guess my thing is why does any of this matter....for starters as far as I know he is not actually making a pick for any of the 30 teams so take what he thinks with a grain of salt and move on. There is no need to bash someone because they rank a guy higher then someone else it is embarrassing, especially coming from people who I can guarantee 99 percent have never seen either play live right in front of them. TV appearances mean absolutely nothing, you only get to see them when they have the puck for a half second you don't get to see the plays develop, their skating ability, their anticipation etc...

Probably not the best example out there but if you did a poll of 100 people I am sure it could be quite close....Do you want Crosby or Ovechkin?
    That's probably a good point. In the long run it really doesn't

G - Murray, Grubauer

Dobber Sports Giant

MY rankings:

1. Matthews
    2. Jesse Puljujarvi
    3. Patrik Laine
    4. Clayton Keller
    5. Dubois
    6. Tkachuk
    7. Nylander
    8. Chychrun
    9. Juolevi
    10. Sergachev
    11. Jost
    12. Bean
    13. Fabbro
    14. McLeod
    15. Brown

HMs in my top-15: McAvoy, DeBrincat, Bellows, Max Jones, Abramov, Gauthier, Kunin

Not necessarily top-15 material, but I really like Adam Mascherin (W), Will Bitten (c), Adam Fox (D), Jordan Kyrou (W), Laberge (c/w), Tufte (w), Victor Mete (D), etc.

EDIT ::: Feel free to discuss these with me.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin