Poll: Who do you like more for my team?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Julio Jones vs. Todd Gurley

Dobber Sports Star

Default Julio Jones vs. Todd Gurley

So, in a keep 6 standard league with the following starts : QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, K.

Who would you rather own, Jones or Gurley?

My keepers so far are Luck, Gurley, Lacy, Cooper, Parker, Kelce.

Edit : The Jones owner wants my Gurley.
    Last edited by MarmotKing; June 15, 2016 at 12:17 PM. Reason: added info

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: Julio Jones vs. Todd Gurley

What rounds in the draft do all of your keepers occupy?

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    What rounds in the draft do all of your keepers occupy?
    They don't occupy any rounds. We keep any 6 players, then draft from the FA pool and rookies.

It's a 10 teams, 18 round linear draft. No waivers.

Dobber Sports Expert

So why in the world would you keep Jones over Parker? or Kelce?

To me, its a no-brainer your 6 keepers should be:
    Julio, Gurley, Luck, Cooper, Lacy & Kelce (won't reach his Gronk-like projections but will contribute solidly at a volatile position).

The only debate to me is Parker or Kelce, and I go with the TE since you already have 2 solid WRs and 2 solid RBs and TE is so thin.

Dobber Sports Star

So why in the world would you keep Jones over Parker? or Kelce?

To me, its a no-brainer your 6 keepers should be:
    Julio, Gurley, Luck, Cooper, Lacy & Kelce (won't reach his Gronk-like projections but will contribute solidly at a volatile position).

The only debate to me is Parker or Kelce, and I go with the TE since you already have 2 solid WRs and 2 solid RBs and TE is so thin.
    The Julio Jones owner is interested in my Todd Gurley. I don't own both (sadly).

Dobber Sports Expert

Well that came out of left field. I do the trade. RBs are becoming a dime a dozen and there is value all over the place.

I would trade Gurley to get Jones in a heartbeat. Jones can easily be the top scoring fantasy footballer over the next few years. Gurley will require better support staff (O-line and the Rams passing game) to hit Julio numbers.

Julio for me. I'm biased towards WRs generally. I think they have a longer shelf life as far as fantasy relevance over RBs - generally speaking. And it's supply and demand. You need min of three to fill out your active lineup. 3 x 10 = 30 WRs absolutely going off the board each year. More weight to your scoring week-to-week too.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Star

Well that came out of left field. I do the trade. RBs are becoming a dime a dozen and there is value all over the place.

I would trade Gurley to get Jones in a heartbeat. Jones can easily be the top scoring fantasy footballer over the next few years. Gurley will require better support staff (O-line and the Rams passing game) to hit Julio numbers.
    At first I tough 'No', but looking at my team it might be the move to do. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Julio for me. I'm biased towards WRs generally. I think they have a longer shelf life as far as fantasy relevance over RBs - generally speaking. And it's supply and demand. You need min of three to fill out your active lineup. 3 x 10 = 30 WRs absolutely going off the board each year. More weight to your scoring week-to-week too.
    My biggest weakness last year was at the WR position. I was last in the league by a good margin :/... I don't like moving Gurley as I think they'll have similar productions over the next few seasons, but I still have Lacy and could probably find more suitable replacements in the draft/in-season trade. Thanks.

Dobber Sports Expert

Also agree with what Bomm said. WRs are huge now in FF. Championship teams are often built around them, especially the superstar talent. RBs are more susceptible to those horrific season ending injuries. Lots of RBs go down each year after GMs spend high picks on them (look at last year with Bell, Charles, Lynch, Foster to a lesser extent). The 'ol mantra in fantasy football was to grab your RB first round, they'll fly off the board. But its more of a pass-heavy league now. Get the top WRs when you can, especially a top 3 talent. I also expect a big bounceback year for Lacy so you should have a good backbone in the run game as well for your team.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by MarmotKing View Post
    So, in a keep 6 standard league with the following starts : QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, K.

Who would you rather own, Jones or Gurley?

My keepers so far are Luck, Gurley, Lacy, Cooper, Parker, Kelce.

Edit : The Jones owner wants my Gurley.

Who are the other players on your roster to choose from. I have a hard time believing Parker is a keeper.

As for your trade, I love Julio and in years past have heavily favoured wr's over all positions but I say keep Gurley. I've done a few mock drafts so far and have gone old school RB/RB strategy and am able to get some very solid wr's after. Most people wait on QB's because it's such a deep position but take a look at how deep the WR position is. It will be much harder to find a quality RB in essentially round 7 then it would be to find a WR who can contribute on a weekly basis.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhale View Post
    Who are the other players on your roster to choose from. I have a hard time believing Parker is a keeper.

As for your trade, I love Julio and in years past have heavily favoured wr's over all positions but I say keep Gurley. I've done a few mock drafts so far and have gone old school RB/RB strategy and am able to get some very solid wr's after. Most people wait on QB's because it's such a deep position but take a look at how deep the WR position is. It will be much harder to find a quality RB in essentially round 7 then it would be to find a WR who can contribute on a weekly basis.
    The only other WRs are DeSean Jackson and Mike Wallace and I'm not keeping those 2. At RB I have Ryan Mathews and Duke Johnson and I'm not dropping Parker or Kelce or Luck for one of them. I have 2 solid RB and I'd be in trouble with only 1 WR.

I will admit that in standard scoring formats work horse backs like Gurley are very valuable. So I have no issue with the argument that you should keep him. But myself I would go with WRs. I would also agree with the notion (The Whale?) that Parker is not necessarily a keeper.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Pro

In today's NFL, take the WR no question. The league is more passer-friendly and multiple top 5 RBs get hurt every single year.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think lots of people are ignoring lots of red flags on Gurley. Namely:

1) He got zero work in the passing game last season, and Benny Cunningham and Tre Mason are still on the roster. Not to mention gadget player Tavon Austin who steals work out of the backfield.

2) He projects to be in negative game script the entire season. The Rams are bad, the Rams will continue to be bad, and they will be trailing lots.

3) He has to play the Seahawks and the Cardinals twice a year, every year.

I'd take Julio.

Dobber Sports Titan

Another easy vote for Julio for all the reasons stated above.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)