Thread: Kunin is rising fast!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Kunin is rising fast!

As the title says, I noticed him on the rise on many mocks I've seen yesterday. I have to admit that I am a little surprised about this one. I don't pretend to know him a lot but from what I've heard, I thought he would go around 15-20, not 10-15. It takes only one team to take a chance on him though...

Where would you rank him fantasy-wise? I have him behind guys like Brown, Keller, Mcleod and Jost. To me, he's in a group with Bellows, Gauthier and Rubtsov. Should I let him there?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Kunin is rising fast!

I take the online mock drafts with a grain of salt. Who's doing the mocks? Anyone with any credibility and connections to the NHL (ie reputable reporters, scouts, etc) or just regular joe's like you and me?

FWIW, TSN's mock draft done last month has Kunin going 30th overall (granted this was done in May and a lot can change in a month).

http://www.tsn.ca/leafs-take-matthew...draft-1.489187

Until I actually see where he gets drafted in the REAL draft, it's hard to gauge him and his value right now. I do think he goes higher in fantasy drafts than he will in the actual NHL draft mainly because I think more D will go ahead of him in the real draft compared to fantasy drafts. D normally slip in fantasy drafts.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

You're right! That's the problem with a league I'm in: the Prospects draft is before the actual draft. I've been trying to change that for a couple of years and we're unable to gain the majority on the vote (I honestly don't know why!)

Dobber Sports Deity

One of my leagues do that as well. We actually just finished.

FWIW, Kunin went 15th overall in that draft.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks! You should start a thread with your draft. We had something like that last year. Guys were posting their rookie drafts in it.

Dobber Sports Titan

I have him at 19 on my list, so generally a similar range there. I would not have pegged him to be jumping into the top 15 though! Maybe there is something I am missing as to why his stock has been rising?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Thanks! You should start a thread with your draft. We had something like that last year. Guys were posting their rookie drafts in it.
    Ask and you shall receive.

http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...33#post1622233

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I have him at 19 on my list, so generally a similar range there. I would not have pegged him to be jumping into the top 15 though! Maybe there is something I am missing as to why his stock has been rising?
    Are you ranking him there for a fantasy draft, or is this where you see him going in the real NHL draft?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    You're right! That's the problem with a league I'm in: the Prospects draft is before the actual draft. I've been trying to change that for a couple of years and we're unable to gain the majority on the vote (I honestly don't know why!)
    My league has always done its entry draft before the actual NHL draft....I like it better that way as it lets the people who know the prospects, watch a lot of hockey and do ample research will always come out on top more often then not!

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dino200022 View Post
    My league has always done its entry draft before the actual NHL draft....I like it better that way as it lets the people who know the prospects, watch a lot of hockey and do ample research will always come out on top more often then not!
    Totally agree with this.. I wish we drafted before the actual draft.. That way the knowledgeable GM's benefit from knowing their stuff!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Are you ranking him there for a fantasy draft, or is this where you see him going in the real NHL draft?
    For my preliminary league draft rankings.
    Though in the NHL draft I wouldn't see him going too far off from that either.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Pro

Forwards tend to go higher in fantasy than defensemen so it's not surprising that players like Kunin are going 5-10 spots higher than they will in the NHL draft.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I have him rated as the 13th best forward for the 2016 class, fwiw.
    Humans deal with the reality of the Shadow in four ways: Denial, Projection, Integration and/or Transmutation

14 Team Dynasty ~ 4 Time Champion (2009-2010-2011-2016)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I have him rated as the 13th best forward for the 2016 class, fwiw.
    Agreed, I have my draft list on my work computer but I have him very high as well...he was the lone bbright spot on a Badgers team that was medicore at best..and he did it all as a freshman with very little to work with!

Same can probably be said for Tage Thompson although IMO he did it against much better competition as well!

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    Forwards tend to go higher in fantasy than defensemen so it's not surprising that players like Kunin are going 5-10 spots higher than they will in the NHL draft.
    While true, Kunin is starting to get some hype momentum built up behind him. He showed well at the combine, and has drawn some favourable (though I think a little off) reviews to Larkin lately. He's starting to get ranked in the top 20 in a lot of lists. ISS most recent list has him 18, Pronman has him at 16, Cox's list had him at 18. He's building momentum.

I wouldn't be all that surprised to see him go top 20. He's got the skill
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson