Thread: MadBum the super slugger?

Dobber Sports Titan

Default MadBum the super slugger?

Listening to the Fan590 at work, and they just had Jonah Carey on as a guest, discussing Madison Bumgarner. Apparently he wants to be included in the home run derby, and in my opinion he has shown the power to deserve to be there. Thoughts?

As an extra, I found this related tidbit very entertaining. Mike Trout, in his last 190 at bats, has 11 home runs. Bryce Harper, in his last 190ABs, has an identical 11HRs. In MadBum's last 190ABs, he also had 11HRs!
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: MadBum the super slugger?

Well he does have the 11 HRs in his last 83 games (3 seasons), but I can't see them adding him to the mix and cut out another more deserving player. Having a star pitcher in the competition would add to ''the show'' but it could also hurt the image of it if he sucks...
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Well he does have the 11 HRs in his last 83 games (3 seasons), but I can't see them adding him to the mix and cut out another more deserving player. Having a star pitcher in the competition would add to ''the show'' but it could also hurt the image of it if he sucks...
    He always looks good in the batting cage. Only two people have ever hit a baseball out of the stadium in Seattle, Bumgarner and Nelson Cruz. I don't think he would look too out of place.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    He always looks good in the batting cage. Only two people have ever hit a baseball out of the stadium in Seattle, Bumgarner and Nelson Cruz. I don't think he would look too out of place.
    Ya, that's true, I guess it does ressemble more of a batting cage pitch than a real pitc when you think of it. However, do you feel his coaching staff would allow him to put that extra strain on his shoulders and run the risk of injuring himself? Then again, I guess it's like Carey Price playing as a player in a hockey scrimmage; he would run the same risk of hurting himself than if he was in the crease, right?!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Superstar

I saw that Bumgarner wants to be in the HR Derby and think that would be awesome. If he's in it I'm definitely tuning in to watch.

Bumgarner really wants to do it. MLB likely wants him to do it (ratings would increase). I suspect the Giants will have some serious hesitations about it because pitchers are usually super protected, the last thing you want is your Ace getting hurt in an exhibition. I really hope it happens though!
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Titan

I don't see it as a heavy risk really when it's so close to something he does once a week in batting practice anyways. It would definitely help ratings, and ultimately if he gets asked, it's up to him, not the Giants, if he participates. I hope he does.

Dobber Sports Titan

Could be cool to have 2 pitchers in it. Or a pitchers HR derby.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Could be cool to have 2 pitchers in it. Or a pitchers HR derby.
    What other pitchers would you put in it?