Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rinne? Or go youth with Murray/Vas/other?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Rinne? Or go youth with Murray/Vas/other?

Disclaimer, 2 time champ, Looking to 3 peat this year.

I'm getting lots of suggestions about upgrading Rinne (thereby promoting Jones to my #2 behind or equal to Crawford). As those two, if healthy, should net between 65 and 70 starts the work horses that they are 24 - 40ish starts I need to make up for. Rinne should be able to adequately deliver on that backup work load and I my mind, is probably the best option to keep. That said, owners of Vas, Murray, Helly, Allen (and other young up and comers) are looking to move them before being forced to drop them.

Just more of a temp check here but always interested in the critique if the Dobber Nation. Strategies I perhaps haven't thought off. The last thing this league wants is for me to claim my 3rd straight title. So my need to be swift and saavy is at an all time high.

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: Rinne? Or go youth with Murray/Vas/other?

I'd unload Rinne while he still is overvalued. If I could ship him out for a youngster ready to grab full-time reigns like you mentioned above, I would be all over that. Have Crawford and Jones doesn't sound pretty but they'll for sure get the job done and hold the crease until your youngster steps in.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Ok... In what order for next year (and 3 years down the road)?

Vasilevskiy
    Murray
    Allen
    Helly

Dobber Sports Pro

I wouldn't write Rinne off just yet, but I like the idea of trading him while you still can get something for him. I don't think Vas will be a starter yet (TB will keep Bishop) and if Pens win the cup, Murray might be too expensive. I'd probably try to get Helly. Especially if you plan 3 years down the road.
    12 teams, Yahoo H2H, daily, keep 5.

3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 5BN, IR+
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SA, SV%, SHO

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Eichel, Pettersson
    LW: M.Tkachuk (+RW), Zucker (+RW), Coleman (+RW), N.Foligno (+C)
    RW: Kucherov, Svechnikov (+LW), W.Nylander (+C), Kassian
    D: Karlsson, Hughes,Doughty, Ekblad, Hronek, McNabb, Cernak
    G: Lehner, Grubauer, Francouz
    IR+:

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Ok... In what order for next year (and 3 years down the road)?

Vasilevskiy
    Murray
    Allen
    Helly
    I do think Rinne can bounce back, but not to an elite level. I would be shopping him after the decent playoff run, as I don't see his value going too much higher.
    As for this list, next year:
    Allen
    Helle
    Murray
    Vas

Down the road they are all so close they are interchangeable depending on the team they are playing behind.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I do think Rinne can bounce back, but not to an elite level. I would be shopping him after the decent playoff run, as I don't see his value going too much higher.
    As for this list, next year:
    Allen
    Helle
    Murray
    Vas

Down the road they are all so close they are interchangeable depending on the team they are playing behind.
    I agree - time to move past Rinne. My list for next year and the years following would be:

Helle - I expect him to be WPG's starter before Xmas. Add in one of Laine or Matthews and Wpg will win more from this point on.
    Murray - he won't be the starter until a decision is made regarding expansion and Fleury.
    Vas - this is Bishop's crease, especially if Stamkos leaves. If Stamkos stays, VAS jumps ahead of Murray as Bishop could be moved.
    Allen - still a 1a/1b going forward in the crease - plus too many unknowns for the team involving Backes & Shattenkirk (will they re-sign or leave?) & Steen (will he bounce back from his shoulder surgery?)
    WHL - 24tm multicast salary partial keeper
    19 Active / 6 Reserve / 15 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/ A/ +/- /PIM/SOG/PPP/Hit/Blk/FOW-C
    Goalies: GS/W/OL/GAA/SV%/SV/SHO/ShL/A

Dobber Sports Giant

I'd move Rinne for a prospect and keep Drouin. Do you have a farm-team/prospect system in your league? If so do any of these count as a prospect:

Hellebuyck
    Murray
    Allen
    Vasilevskiy

If that's the case you could keep Drouin and have a 3rd goalie that will blossom into a starter sooner-than-later!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    I'd move Rinne for a prospect and keep Drouin. Do you have a farm-team/prospect system in your league? If so do any of these count as a prospect:

Hellebuyck
    Murray
    Allen
    Vasilevskiy

If that's the case you could keep Drouin and have a 3rd goalie that will blossom into a starter sooner-than-later!
    nope...no farm team.

Already plan on keeping Drouin as my LW2. Have 2 utility spots to fill. One can be a Goalie or both can be skaters.
    Goalies are premium so that is why I want to keep 3 and not have to worry about reaching and clawing for a 3rd tender.
    Right now my Utility Spots got to Getzlaf and Rinne.

To move Rinne would require me getting a younger tender and a pick back (Won't be high). This kind of a move could piggy back on another thread of mine where I weigh the option of keeping Ekblad over Stralman or look to move Ekblad in a bigger deal to improve goaltending and/or gain a higher pick.

DROUIN currently is leading Palat and Neal as my LW2 (Behind Hall LW1)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tomastop View Post
    I wouldn't write Rinne off just yet, but I like the idea of trading him while you still can get something for him. I don't think Vas will be a starter yet (TB will keep Bishop) and if Pens win the cup, Murray might be too expensive. I'd probably try to get Helly. Especially if you plan 3 years down the road.
    Thanks fella. Just hard as a championship team to give him up (Undisputed #1 on a pretty good team) for a young tender who may/may not start this year as I try to 3peat!

I'm always aware of 3 years down the road, but THIS year marks my opportunity to 3peat!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Pit Bulls View Post
    I agree - time to move past Rinne. My list for next year and the years following would be:

Helle - I expect him to be WPG's starter before Xmas. Add in one of Laine or Matthews and Wpg will win more from this point on.
    Murray - he won't be the starter until a decision is made regarding expansion and Fleury.
    Vas - this is Bishop's crease, especially if Stamkos leaves. If Stamkos stays, VAS jumps ahead of Murray as Bishop could be moved.
    Allen - still a 1a/1b going forward in the crease - plus too many unknowns for the team involving Backes & Shattenkirk (will they re-sign or leave?) & Steen (will he bounce back from his shoulder surgery?)
    THanks PitBulls

As for me... There's just something about Winnipeg that does not garner Faith in me... especially from a Goaltending standpoint. Maybe getting burned by Pavy 2 years ago and/or last year's (and maybe this year's) 3 headed monster situation... Helle scares me a bit (especially as a contending team as my own).
    Murray - Flip a coin. SOMETHING has to happen here immediately or within a year, but what? Who goes? Does that make Murray better/worse? Scares me.
    VAS - Big fan here, but agree... Bishop is a huge hurdle here and the unknown of Stamkos... best wait this out
    Allen - Still think he will eventually take the reigns, but then again, he's failed to secure them over the past couple years.

RINNE... no contents #1 on a very good (and defensive) team that went deep in the playoffs.

Hard to put faith in so many ?'s when I yearn to win yet again!

Thanks fella.

Dobber Sports Pro

I think you'd be wise to move Rinne, I think this is your last/best chance to move him before his value starts to plummet due to age/team/injuries no longer being an elite net minder.

As far as the options go, I would go with Helly, Vasi, or Murray. I am not sold on Allen being as good as the others on your list.
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H) Est. 2015

Vancouver Voodoo
    C: Scheifele, Sedin, Stastny, Zetterberg
    LW: Panarin, Landeskog,
    RW: P. Kane, , Meier, Mantha, Anderson, Coyle, Hansen
    D: Carlson, Faulk, Hamilton, Trouba, Goligoski, Matheson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    Minors: Demko, Virtanen, Walman, Benson, Gourde, Boqvist, Glass, Foote, Claesson, Gaudette

12 team, keep 15 H2H Weekly
    Crosby, Malkin, Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, Byfuglien, OEL, Klingberg, Holtby, Quick, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Simmonds, Arvidsson, Schenn

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Stud

One way of looking at this is which is more important to you, 3 peating or remaining competitive beyond next year? If you want to focus on the 3 peat, stick with Rinne for now. Of the 4 goalies listed, he's the only one that's guaranteed to be the starter and have no competition. As others pointed out, there are a lot of questions surrounding the other guys, and I'm not sure they'll play enough to squeeze out the remaining number of starts you need. If you want to build for the future, you want to get rid of Rinne sooner rather then later. All 4 of the goalies listed put you in a great position to infuse the position with youthful depth.

Is there anything driving you to make the decision right now? If you have time on your side, I would use it. Some of the questions around the goalies may get answered over the summer (does Stammer stay or go? Does TB trade Bishop / Pitt trade Fleury?, Do WPG or STL do anything with their excess goalies?). Answers to these will help you make a more informed decision.
    12 Team Weekly H2H, Daily Lineups. Keep 7 + 1 Prospect (<164 NHL games).
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)
    GOALIE: W(2), GA(-1.5), Saves(0.3), SO(3)
    Positions - 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 5 Bench, 4 IR, 1 prospect

C - J Hughes(LW), Hintz, Malkin, Pinto
    LW - M Tkachuk(RW), Robertson
    RW - Rust, Necas, Zuccarello
    D - Makar, Fox, Bouchard, Roy, Krug
    G - Oettinger, Thompson, Wedgewood
    Prospect Keeper - L Hughes(D)
    IR - Hill(G)

2024 Picks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Dobber Sports Sage

I like the idea of moving Rinne now while the trade value is there. A move like this takes balls the size of canteloupes though. I would do it but its not my team. On a move like this, you have to go big and swing for the fences. So I would select Murray off that list. I think he's going to win the Cup and the Pens will be happy to move MAF's contract and get out of the cap hell they have been enduring the past couple of seasons. I think Murray will be the full-time starter by the trade deadline next year, at the very very latest. So I think if you can move Rinne and get Murray + back for him its a deal that could turn out to be grand larceny for you over the next decade. I would feel quite comfortable going into next season with Crawford, Jones and Murray as my 3 keepers. Perhaps you draft a 4th G in a good spot in your draft, a solid 1B guy with some upside.

I am in a similar situation as you. My league hates me now that I have won back to back titles, and my team is still nice and young and its going to be tough to beat for the foreseeable future. I made my Rinne deal in mid-season, got Fred Andersen and what turned out to be Landeskog back in the deal. It was a little hairy because Jones was still somewhat unknown so I was trading the known, solid #2 G out and had to take the risk that I would still have quality 2nd/3rd goaltending. Jones proved to be what I thought he was, great value as a #2. Fred got back on track right after the deal, then when he went down at the end of the season, there was Murray on my farm to call up and win 9 of 12 and secure the championship for me.

So man up and see what the guy with Murray will add to sweeten the pot, and come back and let us know where talks are at.

Dobber Sports Master

Rinne's value isn't going to get any higher, so I'd be looking to move him for a great young goalie. In order of preference, I like Hellebuyck and Murray the most as I see both of them getting quality starts for their respective teams in the coming season. Especially if Murray wins the Cup. Vasilevsky is another year or two away, and I'm not completely sold on Allen although he does play for a good team, but is still in a platoon situation with Elliott who got more starts in the playoffs than Allen did (and for good reason).

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    I like the idea of moving Rinne now while the trade value is there. A move like this takes balls the size of canteloupes though. I would do it but its not my team. On a move like this, you have to go big and swing for the fences. So I would select Murray off that list. I think he's going to win the Cup and the Pens will be happy to move MAF's contract and get out of the cap hell they have been enduring the past couple of seasons. I think Murray will be the full-time starter by the trade deadline next year, at the very very latest. So I think if you can move Rinne and get Murray + back for him its a deal that could turn out to be grand larceny for you over the next decade. I would feel quite comfortable going into next season with Crawford, Jones and Murray as my 3 keepers. Perhaps you draft a 4th G in a good spot in your draft, a solid 1B guy with some upside.

I am in a similar situation as you. My league hates me now that I have won back to back titles, and my team is still nice and young and its going to be tough to beat for the foreseeable future. I made my Rinne deal in mid-season, got Fred Andersen and what turned out to be Landeskog back in the deal. It was a little hairy because Jones was still somewhat unknown so I was trading the known, solid #2 G out and had to take the risk that I would still have quality 2nd/3rd goaltending. Jones proved to be what I thought he was, great value as a #2. Fred got back on track right after the deal, then when he went down at the end of the season, there was Murray on my farm to call up and win 9 of 12 and secure the championship for me.

So man up and see what the guy with Murray will add to sweeten the pot, and come back and let us know where talks are at.
    Well, wouldn't ya know it, the GM who has Murray is the same guy I got Rinne from last year and the same guy I entered the Perry/Stamkos block buster.

I don't foresee hi moving Murray for Rinne straight up let alone a sweetener. He also has Helly. His current 1a tenders are Holtby, Bob and Lou. So while I can see him keeping 1, he's looking to move the other for a 1st round pick.

This may prove more difficult than originally thought.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Well, wouldn't ya know it, the GM who has Murray is the same guy I got Rinne from last year and the same guy I entered the Perry/Stamkos block buster.

I don't foresee hi moving Murray for Rinne straight up let alone a sweetener. He also has Helly. His current 1a tenders are Holtby, Bob and Lou. So while I can see him keeping 1, he's looking to move the other for a 1st round pick.

This may prove more difficult than originally thought.
    Yes. You are going to need to do some marketing. The guy who has Helly and Murray is most likely going to try and move Luongo for something before he decides on which of Helly or Murray he is going to keep. I dont see him being in the market for Rinne.

Tough to predict when Vas will get the net in Tampa, also how good is he really? Cant commit to him until you KNOW Bishop is headed out of town. Allen is also behind Elliott who has another year left on his deal.

Probably going to have to sit tight--unless you go and find the guy who NEEDS Rinne, his Gs are a garbage fire, every league has one.