Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dvorak for Laine

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Dvorak for Laine

Take that as being a 4 or 5 Dvorak value for Laine?
    TEAM 1
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H, G, A, PPP, SOG, FOW, HITS, BLKS, PIM, GWG, ShG, W, SHO, GA, SV, ShL, OL
    3-6C, 3-6W, 6D, 8B, 2G, 20 farm, 3IR

C - Crosby-McDavid-Giroux-Kadri
    W - Ovechkin-Marchand-Lehkonen-Wheeler-E.Kane-Landeskog
    D - Jones-Schenn-Stone-Lindholm-Moser-Whitecloud
    G - Hellebuyck-Lindgren-Martin-Stalock

Full Keeper

Dobber Sports Deity

You wouldnt think but the pre-draft hype on Laine is out to lunch and that happens every year on the forums. We over-hype the top pending picks because they are shiney and new. That's the point I am trying to make. We really dont know what either guy will end up being until the land in the NHL. It has more to do with the pre-draft hype. There's so much that controls players outcomes. Things like the teams they go to and how the coach uses them for example.

We can all assume he will be a superstar but there is too many other factors in play before we can even try and determine their NHL success. Geez, we dont even know who he will be playing for and that teams needs and wants and some are already expecting 70+ points from him. It's just unrealistic.

We do know where Dvorak is going and we already know that Arizona is crying for help down the middle. I think he has a very good opportunity to be a very successful NHL player. How successful is totally up to him and how the coaches decide to use him.

How many had MacKinnon down for 80-100 points most seasons pre-draft? We are still waiting on 65+ points from him after three full NHL seasons.

All I am saying is tone down the expectations on Laine. We simply don't know.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Sure we don't know everything. We don't know if Crosby will get hit by a bus on opening night next year. At some point we have to evaluate players and prospects. After all that's why this site exists. My educated guess is Laine will be at least a tier above Dvorak. In a trade the value gap is quite large.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Monster

If it makes a difference, Dvorak just scored the goal to win the Memorial Cup!*

*it skimmed off the side of his leg and in

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    If it makes a difference, Dvorak just scored the goal to win the Memorial Cup!*

*it skimmed off the side of his leg and in
    It was actually Tkachuk pmorrow. Dvorak tied it in the 3rd.

Dobber Sports Deity

We can evaluate actual NHL players based on history and performance in the league. That we can factually provide an accurate assessment on.

When it comes to prospects, especially ones who have yet to even be drafted yet, it simply becomes a guess. You said it best when you said "my educated guess" because right now, that's all it is.

Until these kids get into the NHL, we can assume that Laine is the better option, but we are selling who is perceived to be the better player. I just dont know how anyone can justify putting Dvorak that far behind Laine as some here seem to think he is.

I guess I just had to say something when I read that Laine was worth 4-5 or even 2 Dvoraks. Maybe they were said in jest, I don't know. I know I didnt take them that way.

Hell, I dont even own Dvorak in any of my fantasy leagues but I still don't think he's nearly as bad, or Laine's nearly as good, as people here appear to believe.

I do perceive Laine to be the better option, and I said that earlier but that's just my assumption at this point.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    It was actually Tkachuk pmorrow. Dvorak tied it in the 3rd.
    They gave the goal to Dvorak.
    TEAM 1
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H, G, A, PPP, SOG, FOW, HITS, BLKS, PIM, GWG, ShG, W, SHO, GA, SV, ShL, OL
    3-6C, 3-6W, 6D, 8B, 2G, 20 farm, 3IR

C - Crosby-McDavid-Giroux-Kadri
    W - Ovechkin-Marchand-Lehkonen-Wheeler-E.Kane-Landeskog
    D - Jones-Schenn-Stone-Lindholm-Moser-Whitecloud
    G - Hellebuyck-Lindgren-Martin-Stalock

Full Keeper

Administrator

I really don't think anyone is actually "down" on Dvorak. It's possible to think one is better than the other while having a fair assessment of both.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I really don't think anyone is actually "down" on Dvorak. It's possible to think one is better than the other while having a fair assessment of both.
    True enough.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by northernnuck View Post
    They gave the goal to Dvorak.
    Maybe, but they took it back.

http://mastercardmemorialcup.ca/scores

Dobber Sports Veteran

Ha! T got the goal and an assist!

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    We can evaluate actual NHL players based on history and performance in the league. That we can factually provide an accurate assessment on.

When it comes to prospects, especially ones who have yet to even be drafted yet, it simply becomes a guess. You said it best when you said "my educated guess" because right now, that's all it is.

Until these kids get into the NHL, we can assume that Laine is the better option, but we are selling who is perceived to be the better player. I just dont know how anyone can justify putting Dvorak that far behind Laine as some here seem to think he is.

I guess I just had to say something when I read that Laine was worth 4-5 or even 2 Dvoraks. Maybe they were said in jest, I don't know. I know I didnt take them that way.

Hell, I dont even own Dvorak in any of my fantasy leagues but I still don't think he's nearly as bad, or Laine's nearly as good, as people here appear to believe.

I do perceive Laine to be the better option, and I said that earlier but that's just my assumption at this point.
    To clear up my take on it, I see Laine having the better career path, but from what I have watched both players do over the last year, they have lots of potential to reach for.
    When I quoted the comment with the 4-5 Dvoraks for Laine, it was more to show that I saw Laine as the clear favourite at this time, not that it would actually take 5 Dvoraks to acquire Laine. Laine's stock is exceedingly high at the moment, so now is not when you trade for him, but Dvorak's also has not been higher recently. No matter when in the past year, or in the coming year that you are looking to make this trade, the Dvorak side will likely have to add a plus.
    I'm definitely not down on Dvorak, I'm actually really excited to see him up with Arizona next year (hopefully), maybe along side Domi, but as you said Axe and Daoust, it is all educated guesses at this point. My educated guess is Laine as an 80-85 point player in his best season, with Dvorak as a 70-75 point player in his best season.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Lets just put it this way..... Dvorak in the Memorial Cup 2nd best player. Laine best player in the World Championship... You can easily tell who's stock is better at the moment.
    Don't forget Dvorak is 20 and Laine is 18. Does anyone even recall an 18 year old producing like this in World Championship (since Lindros?). How can you even say that he is overhyped?

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I like both these guys and I'm sure everyone here would draft Laine over Dvorak in a fantasy league, but I agree with Ax here.. There is always huge hype over the "next guys", and maybe Laine deserves it, but we just never know forsure!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    You wouldnt think but the pre-draft hype on Laine is out to lunch and that happens every year on the forums. We over-hype the top pending picks because they are shiney and new. That's the point I am trying to make. We really dont know what either guy will end up being until the land in the NHL. It has more to do with the pre-draft hype. There's so much that controls players outcomes. Things like the teams they go to and how the coach uses them for example.

We can all assume he will be a superstar but there is too many other factors in play before we can even try and determine their NHL success. Geez, we dont even know who he will be playing for and that teams needs and wants and some are already expecting 70+ points from him. It's just unrealistic.

We do know where Dvorak is going and we already know that Arizona is crying for help down the middle. I think he has a very good opportunity to be a very successful NHL player. How successful is totally up to him and how the coaches decide to use him.

How many had MacKinnon down for 80-100 points most seasons pre-draft? We are still waiting on 65+ points from him after three full NHL seasons.

All I am saying is tone down the expectations on Laine. We simply don't know.
    This is why trading prospects with you can be an interesting experience , you're absolutely right though, hype machine always ramps up to 11 at this time of year, justified or not.
    Not THAT hairy, honest!