Thread: Rinne & 4th vs. Varlamov & Lehner

I...am your father.

Default Rinne & 4th vs. Varlamov & Lehner

This is an interesting deal being discussed in my league. The proven stud who seemed to be declining, only to salvage his season with a great March/April. Two Band-Aid Boys on the other side.

The 4th rounder is the latest round we have in our draft. A prospect goalie, likely a year or two away, would be available at that point (i.e. the NYI youngsters)
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Rinne & 4th vs. Varlamov & Lehner

This is a very difficult deal to break down.

I would side with Rinne and the pick. Rinne had a "down" year but still finished the 9th best goalie (in the league in my sig). The prospect pick is an added bonus. Which NYI prospect would it be?

Varly worries me and seems to not have Roy's full faith. He's also injury prone. Lehner is even more injury prone and Buffalo while improving is still a few years away from being a playoff team imo.

Nashville is the best team of all the teams in this deal and Rinne is the current best goalie. I would make it and hope Rinne has a big year next year
    12 Team HTH Keeper
    (F's G=1 A=1, D G=1 A=1, All Skaters PPG=.5, SHG=.5 Goalies W=2 SO=3)

Dress 8 F, 4 D, 2 G weekly

F's-Marner, Rantanen, Crosby, Panarin, Guentzel, Caufield, Kaprizov, Lundell, Tomasino, Holtz, Pavelski, Zuccarello, Hagel, Dach

D-Makar, Josi, Doughty Andersson, AP, Hutson

G-Hellebuyck, Fleury, Comrie, Kochetkov, Wolf, Primeau, Sogaard

Dobber Sports Titan

The fourth rounder sounds like a throw in, so I'm going to ignore it for now.
    I may be in the minority, but I would take Rinne here. I like Pickard for next season to steal as many as 35 starts for Col, and Lehner would be happy to be healthy enough to get 30 starts.
    Rinne can't be any worse than this past fall, and I tend to think his numbers are close to league average over the full season next year. Assuming this is the points only league in your signature, then an average goalie on a playoff team that is guaranteed starts would be a better own than two BABs on bubble/fringe teams.
    Add in the fact that you only count the top two goalies there, playoffs count, and then the pick too. Easy win for the Rinne side in my books.
    If this is not the league in your signature, maybe it is a lot closer, but I still choose the Rinne side.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I just can't trust Varlamov or Lehner enough to side with them.. Give me Rinne and I will still be able to sleep at night!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I just can't trust Varlamov or Lehner enough to side with them.. Give me Rinne and I will still be able to sleep at night!!
    Agree with Zorro as well. Ofcourse, Rinne hasn't been the Pillar of Health over the past 2/3 years himself. But I still take him over the other TWO BAB's. If all are healthy, I think Rinne is the hands down better goalie then either of the others and on a much better team with a defense that can help bolster his numbers.

Plus, I really see no one challenging Rinne.

Varly had Picard
    Lehner has whoever backs him up.

Dobber Sports Stud

Assuming it is the league in your signature, I would also take Rinne and the 4th. Varly & Lehner are serious band aid boys and could loose their starting position at any time. Hutton won't be returning to NAS, so Rinne's job is secure for now. I'd also rather have Rinne as the playoffs count in your league as well.
    WHL - 24tm multicast salary partial keeper
    19 Active / 6 Reserve / 15 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/ A/ +/- /PIM/SOG/PPP/Hit/Blk/FOW-C
    Goalies: GS/W/OL/GAA/SV%/SV/SHO/ShL/A

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

what's the scoring for goalies in your league?

rinne is a workhorse coming off a bad year, doubtful he returns to top 5 form but i think he'll rebound to top 10 goalie next season.

i think lehner is the wildcard. sabres invested a lot in him and see him as the goalie of the future. if he can stay healthy and get a bulk of the starts he could end up as the best piece in the deal.

i'm competing i take Rinne's side. rebuilding varlamov/lehner side.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post

i'm competing i take Rinne's side. rebuilding varlamov/lehner side.
    I'd go this way.

I think Lehner next year will prove his value.
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'd take the Rinne side.

I am certain that he will be usable when healthy - I am not convinced of even that for Lehner, and Varlamov is more iffy than Rinne. If Roy wasn't the coach, that might change, but I doubt he is going anywhere soon.

Dobber Sports Ace

I'd take the rinne side as well. Islanders have some good goalie prospects coming up. So it's just an added bonus to take a shot with one of them. Don't trust varly and lehner at all.
    14 team h/h dynasty
    Stats, G A PTS PIM +/- PPP SHP GWG shts TOI hts/blks W sv% gaa SO
    $89 mill salary cap, cap hits
    minors- players under 60 gms, goalies under 30 gms
    3c 3lw 3rw 4d 2util 1goal
    max 23 plyr rstr, 15 minors

CENTERS Kuznetsov, Necas, Petterson, Hughes, D.Strome, Seguin, Hayes, Scheifele
    LEFTWING Gaudreau, Mantha, Forsberg, Keller
    RIGHTWING Kakko , Debrincat, Thomas, Konecny
    D-MEN Girard, Provorov, McCavoy, Dobson, Makar
    GOALIES Gibson, Shesterkin, Sorokin
    IR
    MINORS Brannstrom, Kostin, Dennisenko, Kaprizov, Tippett, Cozens, Tolvanen, Zegras, Byfield , Vessalainen, K.Miller, Kyrou, Janik, Bokk, Lundell, Heinola, Hoglander, Lundkvist