Thread: Sequin for? Stand pat? - REP

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Sequin for? Stand pat? - REP

I'm heading into the first offseason of my salary cap league looking to use my depth at C to bolster the rest of my lineup. I put Giroux on the block, but did not receive much interest. I then put Seguin on the block and have received much more. There are four teams in particular with pieces that I am interested in.

Here is my full roster (I have dropped the fringe players that filled my bench into FA):

C: Giroux, Nugent-Hopkins, Seguin, Zibanejad
    LW: Blandisi, Palat, Paul, B Richards
    RW: Atkinson, Lindholm, McCormick, Stone
    D: Beaulieu, C Carrick, Klingberg, C Miller, Pouliot, Spurgeon
    G: Anderson, Gibson

Minors Notables: White, Zacha, Dvorak, Vrana, Koekkoek, Lindell, Matheson, Hellebuyck, Samsonov
    Picks: 1st (9th and 12th) 2nd (x4) 3rd (x2) 4th (x3) 5th

Here are the players from the teams that I find interesting:

Team 1
    Monahan, Fabbri, Panarin, Forsberg, Josi

Team 2
    T Johnson, MacKinnon, Drouin, Reinhart, Ekblad

Team 3
    Barkov, McDavid, Huberdeau, Landeskog, Duchene, Barrie, Ristolainen

Team 4
    Eichel, Matthews, Nylander, Gostisbehere
    24 Team H2H Pts Cap Dyn
    4C 4LW 4RW 6D 1G 4B 27M

G (1) A (1) +/- (.25) PIM (.05) SOG (.05) PPP (.5) HIT (.05) BLK (.05) FOW (.01)
    W (1.75) GA (-1) SV (.1) SO (3)

C: Seguin, Kuznetsov, Trocheck, Johansen, Kostin
    LW: Benn, Lindblom, Dickinson, Kubalik
    RW: Tuch, Fabbri, Bjorkstrand, Terry
    D: Klingberg, Chabot, Girard, Spurgeon, C Miller, Theodore, Marino
    G: Hellebuyck, Berdin

C: Elvenes, Vorobyev, Spacek, Jones, Eyssimont, Daviddson, Shvyrev
    LW: Dorofyev, Koivula, Shalagin, Dugan, Cates, Ranta
    RW: Volkov, Fortier, Evans, Blichfeld, Legare, Tieksola
    D: Laaksonen, Gilbert, Pilut
    G: Samsonov, Sorokin, Knight, Zagidulin

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Sequin for? Stand pat? - REP

Whether it's multi cat or points you need another defenseman which is probably why you listed one for each team. I like Josi Risto EK and Ghost. So focusing on those four guys I'd try Josi/Forsberg or Mac/Eks or Barkov/Risto or Eichel/Ghost. If you're giving up an elite skater in points or an elite C in a multi cat that has FOW you need two very good players back. Forsberg/Mac/Barky/Eichel you can pretty much pencil in for 60 with 80 games played where as Seguin you can pencil in 80 with 80 games played.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
    Whether it's multi cat or points you need another defenseman which is probably why you listed one for each team. I like Josi Risto EK and Ghost. So focusing on those four guys I'd try Josi/Forsberg or Mac/Eks or Barkov/Risto or Eichel/Ghost. If you're giving up an elite skater in points or an elite C in a multi cat that has FOW you need two very good players back. Forsberg/Mac/Barky/Eichel you can pretty much pencil in for 60 with 80 games played where as Seguin you can pencil in 80 with 80 games played.
    I really like this response. IF you're trading Seguin in a cap league, you're looking to shed money, and to do that you need to spread out, so two players back is probably necessary, and a D should be one of them in your case.
    Keep in mind however, that Risto, MacK and Forsberg are about to get big raises as RFAs. I would still be looking at Josi as a great option, probably with Panarin.

Also never hurts to inquire about the price on McDavid, to see if you can shake him loose.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Master

If you are looking to upgrade your defense corps, then Josi offers great value, but I wouldn't completely discount even cheaper, and still rising, options like Ekblad or Ghost. Mind you, you'll also need a forward coming back with whatever dman you can get. I like Monahan & Josi, MacKinnon & Ekblad or Eichel & Ghost.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Initiate

Thanks for the input so far! Rep'd everybody!
    24 Team H2H Pts Cap Dyn
    4C 4LW 4RW 6D 1G 4B 27M

G (1) A (1) +/- (.25) PIM (.05) SOG (.05) PPP (.5) HIT (.05) BLK (.05) FOW (.01)
    W (1.75) GA (-1) SV (.1) SO (3)

C: Seguin, Kuznetsov, Trocheck, Johansen, Kostin
    LW: Benn, Lindblom, Dickinson, Kubalik
    RW: Tuch, Fabbri, Bjorkstrand, Terry
    D: Klingberg, Chabot, Girard, Spurgeon, C Miller, Theodore, Marino
    G: Hellebuyck, Berdin

C: Elvenes, Vorobyev, Spacek, Jones, Eyssimont, Daviddson, Shvyrev
    LW: Dorofyev, Koivula, Shalagin, Dugan, Cates, Ranta
    RW: Volkov, Fortier, Evans, Blichfeld, Legare, Tieksola
    D: Laaksonen, Gilbert, Pilut
    G: Samsonov, Sorokin, Knight, Zagidulin

Dobber Sports Expert

The issue is that you're in a cap league. Right now, you have Seguin for the next 3 season at a meager $5.75M hit (assuming you are using hits and not actual salaries). So deals you make you have to consider the cap circumstances a year or two down the road. Guys like MacKinnon, Forsberg, Monahan, Risto, Barrie are all up this year and I would want to see what the contracts are before I toss away Sequin.

Based on your need to upgrade your defence, Josi & Ekblad would be my two main targets (risk on Ekblad with his ELC expiring next year). Even though it will increase your cap, I like the Ekblad/MacKinnon option best followed by Josi/Forsberg/Fabbri. As Eskimo said, never hurts to inquire about McDavid's price...as well as Eichel and Matthews. But if you make a 2-for-1 move, I would look to dump another player off in the deal as well to create a little more room if you need.