Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: OH MY! Look who's cracked Dobber's Top 3 Goalies for May!?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: OH MY! Look who's cracked Dobber's Top 3 Goalies for May!?

the only flaw with the list is that it doesn't include tiers. now that would make the list much more effective. i'd love to see a column added indicating which tier the goalie falls in, although that would obviously add yet another aspect of the list people will complain about.

as stated, if jones is in tier 2 with a few other goalies, there isn't going to be much difference separating them. this is a ranking, so someone has to be above the other, so if jones gets the nod because of age then why not? for those of you competing, perhaps someone like crawford is the better option. for those of you rebuilding, the younger guy like jones would be ranked higher.

Dobber Sports Giant

I'm not saying Jones doesn't deserve recognition for his great play this year and during the playoffs, but him sitting behind Holtby and Price is what a Jones owner would try to convince me of if he wanted to move him...

As others have said, he deserves to be in the top 10, top 8 even, but closer to the upper than the lower IMO.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Referee3083 View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I feel like there's a bit of recency bias with pushing Jones that far up the rankings. He's only played one full season as a starter and has gone on a heck of a run lately. But there's no way I'm valuing him that high. Goalies are so fickle that we could just as easily be sitting here this time next year saying how Jones dropped near the 20's on that list. He needs at least one more season of the same effort before I start putting him over guys like Crawford, Bishop, Schneider...
    Some of the Rankings in general are a bit too "now" based IMHO, especially seeing that they're supposed to be geared to keeper leagues. For example, really high-value players can free-fall through the rankings because they're currently on IR.

Jones isn't ranked this high if San Jose isn't heading for the Cup Finals. I don't believe fantasy managers outside of playoff leagues value that all that much.

That being said, who thought Jones would even be valued in the Top 10 going into the season? Not many, considering his ADP.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Stud

I've seen it a thousand times in the forum....goalies are fickle.

Yes, Jones had a good year. Yes, Jones has a very good playoff run going. Yes, Jones has moved up in the rankings, but imo no higher than a Tier 2.

Last year Dubnyk went on a great run after he was traded. This year - not so much. Next year, Jones could follow in his footsteps, maybe not. It's really hard to say - goalies are fickle!
    WHL - 24tm multicast salary partial keeper
    19 Active / 6 Reserve / 15 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/ A/ +/- /PIM/SOG/PPP/Hit/Blk/FOW-C
    Goalies: GS/W/OL/GAA/SV%/SV/SHO/ShL/A

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Fickle or not, leagues like the one in my sig make goalie valuation a premium (almost to a fault). I rely on these rankings to help me try and sift through the risk of fickleness. Not something I want to do on my own. But for the most part, even the most fickle of goalies usually see some consistency long term.

But sure, every elite Holtby will experience a Holtby style horrendous stretch/Season (add price, Rask, Mason, rinne to that list).

I guess as a Jones owner, I'm intrigued, even optimistic, but cautiously. I'll continue to lean on Crow and Rinne as I feel him out.

Great discussion boys!

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post

But sure, every elite (goalie) will experience a Holtby style horrendous stretch/Season (add price, Rask, Mason, rinne to that list).
    The words "elite" and "Mason" should never appear in the same sentence unless the qualifier "not" appears between them.

I'm glad you were able to pull that deal, lose BAB Bob (maybe we just call him Band-Aid Bob from now on?) and join me in the Happy Fraternity of Jones owners.

I can see why Jones is ranked so high on the list, it is a dynasty ranking and Jones is a young guy who has had a lot of success in a brief career, and he plays for a franchise that has finally broken through and could be in store for a lot of winning over the next several years. I do agree he fits in at the top of the 2nd tier of Gs.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Correct me if I am wrong but I think Dobber bases these rankings only on wins and shutouts. Jones finished #3 in wins and tied for #2 in SHO. Now I disagree with basing the ranking on just those 2 categories when, if I would venture to guess, most leagues have GAA and SV% also as categories.

Now, if we start talking about goalies and include these 4 categories, then I think it would change the rankings. I said it in the Vezina thread and I will say it again. Until Lunqvist shows a decline in his 5v5 SV%, he is a top 5 goalie and no way I am trading him for a guy who just finished his first year as a starter and was #17 in 5v5 SV% this year.

Dobber Sports Monster

I expected to have a very difficult time picking between Gibson and Jones this summer, but right now Jones is making it easy. It's more about that Sharks team in front of him really.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Expert

New 20 team full dynasty draft last summer, he was my plan to be my #1 goalie all along. Got him in the 6th round! It's only been one year but I'm happy with him thus far.

Administrator

Remember when Reimer was acquired and some were worried he'd steal the job? Jones kicked that door shut.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Padawan

I wouldn't put much merit in any goalie rankings, but its always nice to see one of your deals early in a season looking like a steal by the end.
    WHL (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.25), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Braham Pietasters
    C(3): Barkov, Seguin, N.Schmaltz
    LW(3): Gaudreau, Pacioretty, Hinostroza
    RW(3): Radulov, Mantha, Dadonov
    F(3): Bailey, Thornton, Vanek
    D(6): Josi, Jones, Krug, Leddy, Ellis, Miller
    G(1): Bishop (Sparks)
    Bench: T. Wilson (RW), Boyle (C), Pirri (C), Boyd (C)
    Farm: Myers (D), Husso (G), Soderstrom (G), Petersen (G), Anderson-Dolan (C), Pilut (D), Capobianco (D), Aho (D)

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I wonder if there are leagues out there that don't have goalies at all.. I can't stand how up and down these guys are, HaHa..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I wonder if there are leagues out there that don't have goalies at all.. I can't stand how up and down these guys are, HaHa..
    In an h2h league goalies are an absolute nightmare to the point where it almost screws up leagues. Teams sit goalies late in the season and goalies have bad weeks, sometimes just when you need them. If a league out there exists with no goalies I think I might join just to ease my mind.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    It's turning into the running back position of the NHL. So fickle. So frustrating.

Im thinking of having a goalie limit per team beacuse some guys just load up on potential goalies. I know they can do whatever they want. Just frustrating.

Dobber Sports Titan

His playoffs this yr aren’t even amazing stats. 919S%, 2.12GAA, 55.6% Quality Starts. I personally think he’s just a good goalie on a better team. I rather Crawford, Bishop (TBL Bishop), Schneider, Quick, and I’d still honestly take Lundqvist over him depending on the stats/league set up.

Matt Murray, who would be hampered by Fleury, has in my eyes a better playoffs:
    924S%, 2.30GAA, 64.3% Quality Starts.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll