Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: OH MY! Look who's cracked Dobber's Top 3 Goalies for May!?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: OH MY! Look who's cracked Dobber's Top 3 Goalies for May!?

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    it's called frozen pool. enter your league settings and you can find the rankings.

you can't expect dobber to do rankings for every type of league out there...the goalie rankings are fine, and even better now with the tier system.
    praba, I was already aware that there are sites where you can obtain rankings-by-stat set. I'm presuming here that that is not what Dobber is doing in either his skater rankings or goalie rankings.

RETIRED

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    lol. Hell, no. I live in Texas, remember? You can't find a fantasy hockey league here on every street corner like you can in Canada. Now, football? That's another thing entirely.

And when did I ever say I was after roto league rankings? Check my signature, it's basically the default Yahoo stats minus PIMs. That's not my understanding of the definition a roto league.

I didn't think this was a binary choice.

I think we're talking past each other because our definitions don't agree.
    Oops! Sorry, your sig has H2H - and I often consider it too close to roto to differentiate. But Yeah, I didn't read through the entire thread.

Texas? Yikes! I'm glad to at least have YOU! I suspect you're the only one in the state
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Oops! Sorry, your sig has H2H - and I often consider it too close to roto to differentiate. But Yeah, I didn't read through the entire thread.

Texas? Yikes! I'm glad to at least have YOU! I suspect you're the only one in the state
    Pretty sure that NoWayOut is from here too, although I don't know that for a fact.

As I suspected, some of this controversy arises from my own misapprehension of definitions, mainly that I had understood "Pts Only" to refer to only the scoring-related categories being used (ie. G, A, W, SO), however I see now that it actually refers to season-long accumulation of player points (regardless of statistical categories) as opposed to weekly accumulation of points, correct?

RETIRED

I...am your father.

Assigning point values to a stat, yes. But generally assumed that actual points are the driver, with other categories as smaller weight

In two of my leagues, saves count for .05, for example. No SV%, but saves - so playing time is key, and quality is stressed. I'd rather have a 65-game goalie with a .915 SV% because he's obviously racked up a ton of saves, than a guy who played 40 games with a .925 SV%
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Considering Martin Jones has never played more than 56 games in a season at any level prior to this season and Jones is likely to play 88 or so games this season, I highly doubt San Jose is going to plan to play him for 70 games next year. San Jose is likely going to try to sign a solid back up and a solid back up is going to want to sign in San Jose. I will predict that Jones gets less stats next year than he did this season.
    It is likely the Sharks resign Aaron Dell and use him as backup while Grosenick and Armalis are in the AHL... Id say odds are 50-60% on that...

That said, I don't see Jones starting 70 games... but above 60 maybe just above 65... which for most purposes is close enough to 70...

The point being that San Jose is unlikely to sign anyone that will compete to take starts away from Jones, but more to give him a rest and they likely wont spend more than a million on a backup so they can spend else where to hopefully finish off with another Cup opportunity...

I don't feel he is the 3rd option I'd try to get in fantasy, but his numbers and job security make it plausible he's worthy of that using formulas...
    Current Roster:

F: H Sedin, Plekanec, Perry, Cammalleri, Oshie, Stepan, Anisimov, Kunitz, Justin Williams, Little, Baertchi, Huberdeau, Eberle, Rattie, Hoffman, Holland, Horvat, Dano, Dal Colle, Kerdiles

D: Boumeester, Green, Carlson, Del Zotto, Myers, Alzner, M Staal, Pouliot, Gormley, Mueller

G: Varlamov, Mrazek, Niemi, Vasilevski, Ramo, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Banks View Post
    It is likely the Sharks resign Aaron Dell and use him as backup while Grosenick and Armalis are in the AHL... Id say odds are 50-60% on that...

That said, I don't see Jones starting 70 games... but above 60 maybe just above 65... which for most purposes is close enough to 70...

The point being that San Jose is unlikely to sign anyone that will compete to take starts away from Jones, but more to give him a rest and they likely wont spend more than a million on a backup so they can spend else where to hopefully finish off with another Cup opportunity...

I don't feel he is the 3rd option I'd try to get in fantasy, but his numbers and job security make it plausible he's worthy of that using formulas...
    Agree with most of what you're saying, though I also think it likely that they go after someone in FA like Hutton, that, as you said, can rest Jones without being a threat to steal starts.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)