Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: OH MY! Look who's cracked Dobber's Top 3 Goalies for May!?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default OH MY! Look who's cracked Dobber's Top 3 Goalies for May!?

I've been loving my "throw in" acquisition of Martin Jones last year all through these playoffs. But I have to say, wasn't expecting him to jump up to the top 3 behind Holtby/Price!?!?!?!

I know he's been good, rather, he's looked good based on his Teams results down the stretch and into the playoffs. But are we really now considering Martin Jones (the Shark) the newest ELITE level tender in the NHL?

MAN... what a score for me if that's the case. LOVE IT.

Does he stick in that #3 spot ahead of old Teammate Quick, Former Multi-Cup winner Crawford etc?

AND... How bout Mrazek? IS this considering him next year the Starter in Detroit?

May 20 Goalie Team Rating Mar 20 Tier
    1 Braden Holtby WAS 116.6 1 1.0
    2 Carey Price MON 109.3 10 1.0
    3 Martin Jones SJS 105.1 9 1.0
    4 Jonathan Quick LAK 100.1 3 1.0
    5 Corey Crawford CHI 99.7 2 1.0
    6 Tuukka Rask BOS 99.5 6 1.0
    7 Ben Bishop TBL 98.4 5 1.0
    8 Marc-Andre Fleury PIT 95.7 4 2.0
    9 Cory Schneider NJD 95.6 7 1.0
    10 Petr Mrazek DET 94.6 11 2.0
    11 Henrik Lundqvist NYR 94.3 8 1.0
    12 Cam Talbot EDM 92.3 16 2.0
    13 Devan Dubnyk MIN 91.7 12 1.0
    14 Roberto Luongo FLA 91.3 13 2.0
    15 Matt Murray PIT 90.7 57 2.0

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: OH MY! Look who's cracked Dobber's Top 3 Goalies for May!?

For me, Holtby and Price are now in a class of their own, Jones is at least a tier below them in my opinion.
    Yahoo! 1 year league, 9 teams, Points only [G (3pts), A (2pts), PPP (1pt), Hits (0.1pt) *** W (4pts), Goals Against (-2pts), SV (0.2pt), SO (3pms)
    C: McDavid, Couturier, Kopitar, D.Strome
    LW: Guentzel, Connor, Miller, Kaprizov
    RW: Stamkos, Stone, Teravainen, Tatar
    D: Dahlin, Theodore, Andersson, Dumba
    G: Shersterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

how many of us were trashing the sharks for giving up a 1st this year for him? the one good trade sweeney made ends up as a loss lol

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Dikoi View Post
    For me, Holtby and Price are now in a class of their own, Jones is at least a tier below them in my opinion.
    Don't disagree regarding Holtby/Price.

But do we really see Jones in a tier over Crawford, Bishop ... maybe even Quick? or how big is the 2nd tier (and do you personally see Jones in that tier?)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Jones is pretty young compared to the other upper tier goalies tho and he's on a good team. That's likely figuring into his logic here.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    how many of us were trashing the sharks for giving up a 1st this year for him? the one good trade sweeney made ends up as a loss lol
    LOL. Never thought about that! Hillarious! but props to the Shark's management for going after their guy... And their guy being the RIGHT ONE!

Dobber Sports Icon

Martin Jones at #3 tells me that these rankings are completely useless. There is no fantasy GM in a keeper league that would trade any of the following goalies ranked below Jones to get him:

Quick
    Crawford
    Rask
    Bishop
    Schneider
    Lundqvist
    Luongo

I do understand that all of these goalies are in the same Tier but there's no way Jones should be ahead of all of these guys and likely a few more. Jones hasn't even played that well in leading the Sharks to the Finals. San Jose got lucky in that they played the 11th, 12th, and 13th rated offensive teams (based on goals in the regular season) so far in the playoffs. His regular season was not even that good. Among goalies with 30 or more games played, he was 22nd in SV%, 7th in GAA, 21st in EVSV%. Not exactly the numbers you would expect for a top 3 goalie.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    Jones is pretty young compared to the other upper tier goalies tho and he's on a good team. That's likely figuring into his logic here.
    I'm sure it is. I just wonder how much changes between now and October's start of season ranking (considering if they win the cup, or fall short).

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Martin Jones at #3 tells me that these rankings are completely useless. There is no fantasy GM in a keeper league that would trade any of the following goalies ranked below Jones to get him:

Quick
    Crawford
    Rask
    Bishop
    Schneider
    Lundqvist
    Luongo

I do understand that all of these goalies are in the same Tier but there's no way Jones should be ahead of all of these guys and likely a few more. Jones hasn't even played that well in leading the Sharks to the Finals. San Jose got lucky in that they played the 11th, 12th, and 13th rated offensive teams (based on goals in the regular season) so far in the playoffs. His regular season was not even that good. Among goalies with 30 or more games played, he was 22nd in SV%, 7th in GAA, 21st in EVSV%. Not exactly the numbers you would expect for a top 3 goalie.
    I think Jones is doing pretty well considering he's played way more games this season than he ever has in his career and it's not even close.

I wouldn't have thought that he could go this distance and play as well as he has.

(And although I agree with some of your list, I fully expect the Lundy/Luongo owners would trade for Jones in a New York minute. If they wouldn't they're nuts.)

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Padawan

He belongs in tier 2 and in that 3-7 range. To me goalies are fickle and can fluctuate, for me I hope Edmonton gets some blue line help because I like seeing Talbot at 12.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    I think Jones is doing pretty well considering he's played way more games this season than he ever has in his career and it's not even close.

I wouldn't have thought that he could go this distance and play as well as he has.

(And although I agree with some of your list, I fully expect the Lundy/Luongo owners would trade for Jones in a New York minute. If they wouldn't they're nuts.)
    Just to be clear, that was simply a cut and paste of Dobber's top 100 in May. I can take no creative credit for that list. unless you were talking about ChuckCouples list (and now that I've said it... I think you were) lol

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
    He belongs in tier 2 and in that 3-7 range. To me goalies are fickle and can fluctuate, for me I hope Edmonton gets some blue line help because I like seeing Talbot at 12.
    Great point. Makes me wonder (on another current thread about Break out goalies)... could we consider Talbot a break out goalie if the Oilers (cough cough... I KNOW) actually break out as a team this year? Clearly he didn't last year taking most of the first part of the year to earn the #1 job (almost by default). But much like Jones... he excelled as a #2 (or even 1b) and I think it's as much the situation as it is the skill of the Tender that allowed Jones to Flourish. Not many question Talbot's talent/skill ... those ?'s are all pointed toward the team as a whole.

But if they ever get this pent up kenetic energy flowing... I wonder if Talbot isn't the guy to eventually turn heads?

Just a thought.

Dobber Sports Novice

Ended up getting Marty Jones in my league for Palat straight up. Thought I was gonna regret it but I think its safe to say Im a happy guy.
    Dynasty Keeper League G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,GWG,SOG W,Svs,SO,GAA,Save%

F: Zetterberg, H Sedin, Wheeler, Landeskog, Schiefele, Nyquist, Marleau, VanReimsdyk*, Lucic, Komarov, Lee, Forsberg, Galchenyuk, Rakell, Lindholm, Nylander, Zacha, Pulkinnen
    D: Weber, OEL, Hedman, Markov, Brodie, Vatanen
    G: Rask, M. Jones, Elliott*, Smith*, Domingue, Reimer, Lack

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Just to be clear, that was simply a cut and paste of Dobber's top 100 in May. I can take no creative credit for that list. unless you were talking about ChuckCouples list (and now that I've said it... I think you were) lol
    Yes, that was meant as a response to ChuckCouples' post. I've since rectified it.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
    He belongs in tier 2 and in that 3-7 range.
    Couldn't agree more. I feel like there's a bit of recency bias with pushing Jones that far up the rankings. He's only played one full season as a starter and has gone on a heck of a run lately. But there's no way I'm valuing him that high. Goalies are so fickle that we could just as easily be sitting here this time next year saying how Jones dropped near the 20's on that list. He needs at least one more season of the same effort before I start putting him over guys like Crawford, Bishop, Schneider...
    12 Team Weekly H2H, Daily Lineups. Keep 7 + 1 Prospect (<164 NHL games).
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)
    GOALIE: W(2), GA(-1.5), Saves(0.3), SO(3)
    Positions - 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 5 Bench, 4 IR, 1 prospect

C - J Hughes(LW), Hintz, Malkin, Pinto
    LW - M Tkachuk(RW), Robertson
    RW - Rust, Necas, Zuccarello
    D - Makar, Fox, Bouchard, Roy, Krug
    G - Oettinger, Thompson, Wedgewood
    Prospect Keeper - L Hughes(D)
    IR - Hill(G)

2024 Picks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11