Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Just Won the Draft Lottery - For My Team Should I Take Matthews or Laine (REP)

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Just Won the Draft Lottery - For My Team Should I Take Matthews or Laine (REP)

I would draft Matthews even though I am so geeked about Laine in Winnipeg!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Just Won the Draft Lottery - For My Team Should I Take Matthews or Laine (REP)

Thanks for the comments everyone and I have used up my REP limit for today so will try to spread some more around over the next few days.

Now its time to share my thoughts. Firstly, I am a bit surprised that there is not a single person that has said they would go with Laine. Considering that he was the SM-Liiga playoff best player and World Championship MVP / Best Forward I thought at least one or two would have him ranked #1 on their fantasy draft board. When I started this post I was leaning toward selecting Laine with the #1 pick for the following reasons:

- He is a winger that will likely get LW / RW eligibility, which is a lot more valuable and harder to replace then C.
    He has the potential to be an elite goal scorer, which I feel is one of the hardest attributes to find in fantasy hockey, and I also think he will be near the top of the league in SOG.
    - He is 7 months younger than Matthews, which from development perspective, is not insignificant and I think that his skating (which is a knock that I have heard against him) will continue to improve.
    - I already have Eichel (p), Kuznetsov, Scheifele, Barkov, S. Bennett (p) and Barzal (p) at C and fully expect at least 4 of them to be among my keepers for the foreseeable future.
    - I am a Jets fan (I know it shouldn't matter but its hard to pass on top end hometown talent) and can already envision him playing alongside Scheifele and Ehlers for the next decade.
    - I already have Marner, who I expect to line-up with Mathews long-term, so worst case scenario I should have a Matthews hedge going forward.

That being said I really like Matthews and, given the comments, will seriously consider taking him as I do think he will be one of the top C's in the league for years to come.
    10 Team Keeper League, 15 Keepers (max 2 goalies), 10 prospects, Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 3 Utility, 4D, 2G

Stats: G, A, P, +/-, PIMS, SOG, STP; W, SO, SV%, GAA

C: MacKinnon, Scheifele, Larkin, Pavelski (RW)
    LW Panarin, Ehlers , Ovechkin, Verhaeghe (C), Beauvillier, Killorn
    RW: Kucherov, Pastrnak, Wheeler, Mangiapane (LW)
    D: Makar, Hughes, Krug; Pietrangelo, Schmidt, Andersson, Gostibehere
    G: Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky

Prospects: Sorokin (G), Askarov (G), Raymond (LW), Kaliyev (RW), Perfetti (RW), Norris (C), Kaprizov (LW), Hayton (C), Brannstrom (D), Boqvist (D), Clarke (D)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by VintageVibe View Post

Why are you keeping Reimer, if I may ask...? I'd be keeping Lehner or Pastrnak...

Good luck!
    Thanks for the comment and keeper advice. Keepers for next year have not been finalized and I will likely be using Reimer's keeper spot on Pastrnak as I'm planning on activating Gibson next year.
    10 Team Keeper League, 15 Keepers (max 2 goalies), 10 prospects, Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 3 Utility, 4D, 2G

Stats: G, A, P, +/-, PIMS, SOG, STP; W, SO, SV%, GAA

C: MacKinnon, Scheifele, Larkin, Pavelski (RW)
    LW Panarin, Ehlers , Ovechkin, Verhaeghe (C), Beauvillier, Killorn
    RW: Kucherov, Pastrnak, Wheeler, Mangiapane (LW)
    D: Makar, Hughes, Krug; Pietrangelo, Schmidt, Andersson, Gostibehere
    G: Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky

Prospects: Sorokin (G), Askarov (G), Raymond (LW), Kaliyev (RW), Perfetti (RW), Norris (C), Kaprizov (LW), Hayton (C), Brannstrom (D), Boqvist (D), Clarke (D)

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Oakville Squires View Post
    Thanks for the comment and keeper advice. Keepers for next year have not been finalized and I will likely be using Reimer's keeper spot on Pastrnak as I'm planning on activating Gibson next year.
    Great idea!
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Administrator

Draft Matthews and stop overthinking!

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Apprentice

+1 on Mathews, but I wouldn't be surprised if Laine wins the Calder!