Thread: Cap Trade Scenario: MacKinnon for Seguin

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Cap Trade Scenario: MacKinnon for Seguin

During our annual fantasy league dinner, I was offered Seguin for MacKinnon (He might change his mind about the 1 for 1). Couple of people said I would be crazy to not accept that offer however here is my rebuttal for keeping MacKinnon.. Let me know what you guys think about the logic:

This is a cap league. MacKinnon currently sits @ 2.0M and Seguin @ 6.8M. Next year, considering they'll be keepers, their cap will rise 1M. Mac 3.0 & Seguin 7.8. Now if you take a look at my team, I have a bunch of high priced players and then a good young cheap core. My thinking is, with Seguin's cap, I might get 3-4 years out of it him (he'll be 10.8M) meanwhile Mac I got for another 7 years or so. Plus, if I keep Mac I will have an additional 4.8M towards FA auction (~15M vs ~20M of free cap). Furthermore, Mac will "grow" along with my other young players and hopefully I'll have a solid talented team in a few years.

Straight up talent vs talent right now, I know Seguin is better but I'm thinking long term and Mac might be 1-2 yrs away from Seguin's production numbers. So am I thinking correctly here about my future? What would you do in my shoes?
    Keeper League est 2012
    2015-2016 Champion
    13 team - Pts Standing
    20 plyr (3 C/R/L, 4 D, 2G), 10 farm
    Salary 82M, +1M/Keeper
    10 Keepers
    FA Auction (max 5) + 3 round prospect draft

G,A,PPP,OG = 1, PIM, +/- = 0.25, Block/Hits = 0.1
    W = 2, SHO = 3, ShW = 1

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: Cap Trade Scenario: MacKinnon for Seguin

Cap situations always flip the boat. Mac is an easy keep for me here. Despite Seguin's production, Mac is probably giving you a better point/dollar ratio. And the point difference between Seguin in Mac is probably not enough to merit the increased cap come back.

Dobber Sports Titan

It is a tempting offer, but I'm in agreeabce with Golden, cap space is an asset in and of itself, and here it has more value than the difference between Seguin and Mack points wise. The extra couple of years also help sway it to the Mack side.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Giant

I don't think MacK will ever hit Seguin's numbers (ppg+), but even if he only hits 70, the extra $4.8 mil. for Seguin doesn't justify the difference between both players. In a cap league, you aren't always looking for the top player; you are looking for the best bang for your $. Just make sure that you spend that extra 4.8 wisely to really make this refusal count!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    I don't think MacK will ever hit Seguin's numbers (ppg+), but even if he only hits 70, the extra $4.8 mil. for Seguin doesn't justify the difference between both players. In a cap league, you aren't always looking for the top player; you are looking for the best bang for your $. Just make sure that you spend that extra 4.8 wisely to really make this refusal count!
    Thanks for the input everyone. This was my thinking as well but I am hoping Mac will start to pick it up in production numbers. The FA draft should be an interesting one and I believe that extra 5m could fill that point difference/create a little extra depth.
    Keeper League est 2012
    2015-2016 Champion
    13 team - Pts Standing
    20 plyr (3 C/R/L, 4 D, 2G), 10 farm
    Salary 82M, +1M/Keeper
    10 Keepers
    FA Auction (max 5) + 3 round prospect draft

G,A,PPP,OG = 1, PIM, +/- = 0.25, Block/Hits = 0.1
    W = 2, SHO = 3, ShW = 1

Dobber Sports Padawan

Interesting situation and probably the only one where I would side with Mac over Seguin.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I want to say ACCEPT THIS with every fibre of my being... And if this guy is truly interested in a Mack for Segs trade, I may be inclined to try and move an additional piece to help balance out the salary (like Bergeron for a younger less expensive kid who may provide decent bang for you stat cat bucks.

But failing a bigger move, I suppose I agree with the rest. Just not a big believer in Mack and suspect his salary (soon to be) will outweigh his actual fantasy production and you'll be kicking yourself thinking back on this opportunity. Mack at 2.0 is fantastic... Mack at 5-6 million... If he continues to perform like a a Duchene rather than a Seguin... Not so much.

Just my take.

But then again, having the extra salary could be beneficial to help you bolster your G which I think is the most suspect part of you championship squad.

(Still want Seguin though )