Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stamkos to play tonight?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Stamkos to play tonight?

Has Stamkos been medically cleared? Sure he's practicing, but that doesn't really mean anything. Could be risking his life to play in that game, and that's not hyperbole, just reality. I don't think they're holding him out. I think doctors still are.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I don't think they're holding him out. I think doctors still are.
    Huh?

Obviously he's not cleared. If he was cleared by the teams medical staff and/or his own doctor, do you think Tampa would say "Nah, we don't need him"

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    why would Tampa hold him out? the only way i see that happening is if they think they will re-sign him and want to keep him healthy long term. otherwise he's just a rental to them, so if he wants to play why not give him sheltered minutes?
    Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    tough call for sure but if he is 100% physically ready then I say play him in game 6. Stamkos is still one of the most dynamic scorers in the league and in the playoffs that can be money. If I'm the coach I start him and give him very sheltered minutes early, then you have him in the lineup and can try and give him heavy PP, offensive zone start minutes. If the team looks good early you can keep him on the 4th line if they are struggling you can throw him out there with the top guys.

Really would be interesting to see the inner workings. Given that Stamkos has not re-signed and the fact that the Lightning still have some hope of signing him long-term the last thing they want to do is alienate him at all by sitting him out. That being said they are also 5 games from the Stanley Cup. It wouldn't be the worst to wait until the start of the Finals (hopefully) what I would not do is hold him for Game 6 and then start him for Game 7 (if necessary). Can't wait to see how this plays out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shake View Post
    I think I should retract my statement earlier in the thread.

Game 7, winner advances to play for the Stanley Cup, star player injured. Will be come back?

I kinda feel he gets labeled a game-time decision and as warm-ups begin here comes 91 in blue and white skating onto the ice....

Gotta think he comes back and plays Game 7.
    These three posts indicate people are thinking it's not a medical reason he hasn't been in the lineup yet. Do you read at all Guru? Or just seek out posts you can try and counter and make yourself look foolish?

The Great One

Yeah I look foolish.

If anyone thinks Stamkos is medically cleared to play and Tampa Bay is REFUSING to let him play, they are the foolish ones.

OBVIOUSLY he's not medically cleared.

That is obvious.

Did I say that was obvious?

The Great One

Doctors have done two different things to treat Stamkos, who has been practising with his Lightning teammates of late but has not been cleared to play.

Dr Douketis hasn't treated Stamkos but understands the player first had a clot-busting treatment, likely a medication called TPA, injected directly into his vein.

"It is very different than blood thinning treatment. It actually breaks down the clot and is associated with a higher risk of bleeding," Douketis says.

The treatment, which Douketis says breaks clost within minutes while a blood thinner can take days or weeks, is usually only used in life-threatening situations or if a limb could be lost.

"Normally we probably wouldn't have administered this kind of treatment to [a high-level athlete like Stamkos]," Douketis says.

On April 4, Stamkos had a rib removed below the collarbone to enlarge the space that his nerves and veins pass through.

Also, none of the posts you quoted above said they think Stamkos is medically cleared but Tampa won't play him. But rather the opposite. Huh? Your confusing yourself again. A common rataylor problem!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Yeah I look foolish.

If anyone thinks Stamkos is medically cleared to play and Tampa Bay is REFUSING to let him play, they are the foolish ones.

OBVIOUSLY he's not medically cleared.

That is obvious.

Did I say that was obvious?
    Some pretty smart people (creator of this site?) think Tampa shouldn't play him under any circumstance, suggesting his renturn could have a negative impact on the current lineup, as opposed to a positive one.

Praba (pretty smart guy) said "if he wants to play, give him sheltered minutes." Which IMPLIES Praba is suggesting it is Stamkos choosing whether to play.

LawMan's entire post (really really smart guy) discusses the merits of bringing him back into the lineup vs. not. Discussing the short and long term merits. His thoughts include short term impacts on the lineup (team playing well without him vs. the special abilities Stamkos brings as a player) and the long term impacts of how playing him or sitting him might ultimately impact their final contract negotiations.

Shake (seriously smart dude), implying Stamkos magically returns to play in game 7 even though to our full knowledge he hasn't been given medical clearance to this point. What would change in the next 2 days? Well, a player choosing that the risk is worth the situation, and choosing to play.

Now, while I may NOT be a super smart fellow like these three fine gentlemen, you OBVIOUSLY do not understand the basic concepts of reading comprehension, which then stands to reason you probably won't understand this post anyways. I know it's hard for a fellow such as yourself, but try to keep up with the grown ups. Maybe it's OBVIOUS you just need to look up the definition of the word "implies"? That could potentially go a long way to helping you out.

http://www.tsn.ca/the-risks-of-stamk...hance-1.492890

And then of course if you read this, Mr. McKenzie indicates that there's a better than good chance it is Stamkos deciding what level of risk he's ready to accept to get back to playing, as many other players have found various options in the same situation to manage the condition and play with it. So you know, a Stamkos, NOT medical opinion/clearance.

But alas, we probably run into that same darned reading problem again.

The Great One

Praba (pretty smart guy) said "if he wants to play, give him sheltered minutes." Which IMPLIES Praba is suggesting it is Stamkos choosing whether to play.
    ....? WTF are you talking about?! Im pretty sure Praba is implying that IF he is healthy HE WOULD play. Are you seriously this slow in real life too?

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    why would Tampa hold him out? the only way i see that happening is if they think they will re-sign him and want to keep him healthy long term. otherwise he's just a rental to them, so if he wants to play why not give him sheltered minutes?

LawMan's entire post (really really smart guy) discusses the merits of bringing him back into the lineup vs. not. Discussing the short and long term merits. His thoughts include short term impacts on the lineup (team playing well without him vs. the special abilities Stamkos brings as a player) and the long term impacts of how playing him or sitting him might ultimately impact their final contract negotiations.
    .....ok, I think you actually are slow.

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    tough call for sure but if he is 100% physically ready then I say play him in game 6.

Shake (seriously smart dude), implying Stamkos magically returns to play in game 7 even though to our full knowledge he hasn't been given medical clearance to this point. What would change in the next 2 days? Well, a player choosing that the risk is worth the situation, and choosing to play.
    ----Shake said nothing relevant about the conversation we are having. Or the conversation I'm having by myself. He merely stated an opinion thats not connected to him being cleared or not.

You're lost dude. Something is wrong with you.

Sigh

Dobber Sports Apprentice

If Stamkos has the green light from the docs to play, both he and the team will have him there. As if any kind of even remotely competitive person would want to keep themselves out of the Stanley Cup playoffs. That's just silly.

Hope he comes back and scores the Game 7 OT goal!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Don't hurt Toronto's next Captain!

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Don't hurt Toronto's next Captain!

Eric Staal typically plays full seasons. I wouldn't worry too much about it
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Eric Staal typically plays full seasons. I wouldn't worry too much about it
    I see what you did there.

Big jerk!

But well playes nonetheless.

Dobber Sports Giant

As per TSN from yesterday afternoon:

Stamkos, 26, has remained on injectable blood thinning medication Lovenox since the surgery, which removed his top right rib to alleviate pressure on the vein where the clot was found.
    The NHL does not permit players to participate in games while taking blood thinners. Stamkos said last week his team of doctors is trying to find a consensus on whether it is safe for him to return to action. They’ve examined the possibility of staggering his dosage so he wouldn’t be on the medication for a short period of time during a game.

Since I think that he is still on the blood thinners as of yesterday afternoon, I doubt he goes off the meds without an adaptation period...

http://www.tsn.ca/lightning-not-expe...ame-7-1.495658
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Superstar

Bob McKenzie gives a crazy good breakdown of the condition, possible managing solutions and risks in the lengthy article posted by rataylor above.

Tomas Fleischmann is the best example of this. He has played for years now and has signed multiple free agent contracts, with everyone fully aware he has this life-long, blood-clotting issue. Fleischmann presumably takes the blood thinner known as Lovenox. The beauty of this anti-coagulant is it is very quick to enter and exit the blood system.

Players such as Fleischmann, as well as Kimmo Timonen and Pascal Dupuis, amongst others, "managed" their blood-thinning medication to allow them to play games in the NHL. They would stop taking Lovenox the day before a game; then take it immediately after the game.

By proper timing of the anticoagulant, it's possible for a player to be reasonably certain his blood clotting is normal during a game while being anti-coagulated on the days he's not playing. Doctors may view the risk of hemorrhaging during a game as minimal, yet the player is afforded protection against clotting the rest of the time.

It's not always as easy as it sounds. Dupuis, for example, found it extremely difficult to strike the right balance of Lovenox and was forced to retire.
    Seeing as this is Stamkos' first time through this condition I suspect they are very cautious with him but it does appear possible to play while "on" bloodthinners. If the Lightning win Game 7 I bet he does everything he can to suit up for Game 1 of the SCF.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR