Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stamkos to play tonight?

I...am your father.

Default Stamkos to play tonight?

https://twitter.com/DamoSpin/status/735121922590023680

Damien CoxVerified account
    ‏@DamoSpin
    Sources say Steven Stamkos still hoping to get clearance today to play tonight in Eastern Conference final.

This would be a mistake. And I honestly think it would hurt TB's chances of closing it out. I see it all the time - a team pulls together and starts winning playoff games without their superstar. Then the superstar rushes back and messes everything up (chemistry-wise) and they lose. A huge piece suddenly getting added to a lineup takes a few games to re-mesh together IMO
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Stamkos to play tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    https://twitter.com/DamoSpin/status/735121922590023680

This would be a mistake. And I honestly think it would hurt TB's chances of closing it out. I see it all the time - a team pulls together and starts winning playoff games without their superstar. Then the superstar rushes back and messes everything up (chemistry-wise) and they lose. A huge piece suddenly getting added to a lineup takes a few games to re-mesh together IMO
    Wasn’t Sundin hurt in like mid 2000s and he came back mid series and Toronto blew it? If he’s playing, 4th line duties, 2nd PP unit. That’s what I would do.

I also think it’s 100% the wrong thing to do to bring back someone dealing with such a finicky subject/illness as blood clots.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

stamkos is probably pushing for it more than the team. aside from the fact that most players wouldn't want to miss a chance to play in the playoffs, his next paycheck could take less of a blow if he shows he's recovered from the bloodclot.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Joe Smith ‏@TBTimes_JSmith 16m

Steven Stamkos still on ice with black aces. Wouldn't seem likely he'd play #TBLightning
    I'll go with credible reporters over Damien Cox.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    stamkos is probably pushing for it more than the team. aside from the fact that most players wouldn't want to miss a chance to play in the playoffs, his next paycheck could take less of a blow if he shows he's recovered from the bloodclot.
    Stamkos' paycheck will be hurting a lot more if he comes back and something goes wrong.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

I am sure they aren't going to rush him back and he is probably just as cautious as anyone else. They wont put him back out there if he isn't ready to go.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Monster

I personally do not believe we will see Stamkos play for the balance of the playoffs.
    Call me a jackass, but he's gonna ride this out and keep getting in shape and what not and then get paid July 1st.

Dobber Sports Titan

I agree with you Shake, I think it's the best thing for him in the long run, but the pull of a Stanley cup championship is an incredibly strong one, especially when you are only 5 wins away.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I agree with you Shake, I think it's the best thing for him in the long run, but the pull of a Stanley cup championship is an incredibly strong one, especially when you are only 5 wins away.
    I agree that that could be the outcome and it should be the logical decision. But, if you are your team's captain and you are in your prime and you have a shot at your 1st cup and you are playing for your new long-term contract; Sitting it out, even for serious health issues may not be as ''logical'' for some. I say if he's not back for game-6, he'll be there for game-7 (or the Finals should TB move on).
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports All-Star

Never underestimate the fact that Stamko's greatest fear is that TB goes all the way and wins the cup without his name engraved on it.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Wasn’t Sundin hurt in like mid 2000s and he came back mid series and Toronto blew it? If he’s playing, 4th line duties, 2nd PP unit. That’s what I would do.

I also think it’s 100% the wrong thing to do to bring back someone dealing with such a finicky subject/illness as blood clots.
    2002 vs Carolina I thought? Somehow they blew that series....

Anyways.....is this Lindros in 96??

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by gainerama View Post
    Never underestimate the fact that Stamko's greatest fear is that TB goes all the way and wins the cup without his name engraved on it.
    TB would have to be total D-bags to do that.
    I could see him sneaking into a few games in the finals as a fourth liner.
    He meets the criteria for an engraving (a player must have at least 41 games played with the club or one game played in the Stanley Cup Finals), but I'm sure he'd like to earn it.
    Either way they need to get there and win it first.
    F-Jarvis,Aho,Mittlestadt,Byfield,Berggren,Brink,Chyt il,Dach,Kakko,Kaliyev,
    Cooley,Newhook,Macelli,Marchenko,Meier,Michkov,Per fetti,Reichel,Stankoven

D-Bean,Hutson,Mateychuk,Mintyukov,Seider,Addison,Kor chinski

G-Kotchetkov,Oettinger,Wallstedt,Dostal,Knight,Taras ov

F-G,A=1pt (14 count)
    D-G,A=2pt,+- (8 count)
    G-Win=2pts,T=1,SO=1,G,A=1 (3 count)

12 Team Dynasty

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

why would Tampa hold him out? the only way i see that happening is if they think they will re-sign him and want to keep him healthy long term. otherwise he's just a rental to them, so if he wants to play why not give him sheltered minutes?

Dobber Sports Superstar

tough call for sure but if he is 100% physically ready then I say play him in game 6. Stamkos is still one of the most dynamic scorers in the league and in the playoffs that can be money. If I'm the coach I start him and give him very sheltered minutes early, then you have him in the lineup and can try and give him heavy PP, offensive zone start minutes. If the team looks good early you can keep him on the 4th line if they are struggling you can throw him out there with the top guys.

Really would be interesting to see the inner workings. Given that Stamkos has not re-signed and the fact that the Lightning still have some hope of signing him long-term the last thing they want to do is alienate him at all by sitting him out. That being said they are also 5 games from the Stanley Cup. It wouldn't be the worst to wait until the start of the Finals (hopefully) what I would not do is hold him for Game 6 and then start him for Game 7 (if necessary). Can't wait to see how this plays out.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Monster

I think I should retract my statement earlier in the thread.

Game 7, winner advances to play for the Stanley Cup, star player injured. Will be come back?

I kinda feel he gets labeled a game-time decision and as warm-ups begin here comes 91 in blue and white skating onto the ice....

Gotta think he comes back and plays Game 7.