Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Has Murray made Fleury expendable

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Has Murray made Fleury expendable

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    I think Calgary is a team that THINKS they can contend.
    They don't.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    They don't.
    We have an inside source in the Flames management here !!!!
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Genius

Remember John Vanbiesbrouck with the Vancouver Canucks? http://www.nytimes.com/1993/06/21/sp...raft-pawn.html

The deal came as something of an insult to Vanbiesbrouck, a nine-year veteran and a former Vezina Trophy winner as the most valuable goaltender in the National Hockey League. But it was the best the Rangers were going to do at such a late date. Had Smith not traded Vanbiesbrouck yesterday, he would have been forced to leave him unprotected in the expansion draft that takes place Thursday, and he almost certainly would have lost him without any compensation. The Rangers had to submit a protected list to the league at 8 P.M. yesterday that consisted of one goaltender, nine forwards and five defensemen. The goaltender was certain to be 26-year-old Mike Richter, regardless of whether Vanbiesbrouck, who is 29, was traded.

My point in this entire thread is that the goalie market is about to be flooded, which will drive down the trade value of goalies on that market.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Big Baby View Post
    No Chance.

Fleury had a great year and was a big reason for pittsburgh having success, especially early on.

They knew what they had in Murray when they signed MAF to his new contract.

Murray has had a below .900sv% in his last 4 starts. The team in front of him needs some credit for his success.

MAF will play before the end of these playoffs and he will show why he is one of the best, and consistently underrated, goalies every year.

If anything, now would be the time to acquire MAF, on the cheap if any of his owners are in panic mode.
    Hmmm??
    6 Team no limit Keeper. Cap league $100m
    Points only G/A=1, Hattrick = +3, Wins = 2, SO = +3, OTL/SOL = +1
    12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies, 6 Reserve (any position)

Forwards
    Crosby $8.7
    Stone $9.5
    Svechnikov $7.7
    Debrincat $6.4
    Hall $6
    Meier $6
    Guentzel $6
    Ehlers $6
    Hertl $5.6
    Konecny $5.5
    Palat $5.3
    JT Miller $5.2
    Garland $4.9
    Kakko $.9
    Laff $.9

Defense
    Josi $9
    Burns $8
    Letang $7.2
    Nurse $5.6
    Werenski $5
    Sergachev $4.8
    Fox $.9

Goalies
    Shesterkin $5.6
    Ullmark $5
    Hart $3.9
    Blackwood $2.8

Dobber Sports Stud

This entire thread feels like a knee jerk. Yes Murray is a good young goalie - but it's premature to start talking about Fleury leaving. These things play out over years.
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by ShawneePanthers View Post
    This entire thread feels like a knee jerk. Yes Murray is a good young goalie - but it's premature to start talking about Fleury leaving. These things play out over years.

*IF* there is an expansion draft the process will be sped up considerably. *IF* there is expansion for 2017/18 Pittsburgh *COULD/WILL* will lose one of the two players.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    *IF* there is an expansion draft the process will be sped up considerably. *IF* there is expansion for 2017/18 Pittsburgh *COULD/WILL* will lose one of the two players.
    Will it? Why does that haveto be the case
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    Anyway, this is moot, my point was basically that Fleury will net much more than 2nd rounder.
    I agree with you on this one, if Fleury does become available, then the teams needing a starting goalie will do what they can to get one..

Calgary should start going for it soon if they aren't already.. Giordano and Wideman aren't getting any younger.. Monahan and Gaudreau are now due 6-8 year deals.. Bennett will be commanding more cash soon.. The Flames are trading 1st rounders for players(Dougie Hamilton)..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Ninja

Okay. After the great goalie switch/debacle from Game 5 of the ECF, let's play what if? What if Murray wins tonight (very likely with a 3-0 lead and 17 minutes to go in the game) and then wins Game 7...then goes on to help Pittsburgh win the Cup. There is no way in hell you could send Murray back to the AHL and it would certainly be awkward being Fleury's back-up or having Fleury as a very expensive back-up. If and that's a big IF, all that happens, I could definitely see Fleury being shopped and actually dealt. Calgary would make a good trading partner as Pittsburgh could most certainly better spend their cap space on their back end.

Just throwing that out there.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Okay. After the great goalie switch/debacle from Game 5 of the ECF, let's play what if? What if Murray wins tonight (very likely with a 3-0 lead and 17 minutes to go in the game) and then wins Game 7...then goes on to help Pittsburgh win the Cup. There is no way in hell you could send Murray back to the AHL and it would certainly be awkward being Fleury's back-up or having Fleury as a very expensive back-up. If and that's a big IF, all that happens, I could definitely see Fleury being shopped and actually dealt. Calgary would make a good trading partner as Pittsburgh could most certainly better spend their cap space on their back end.

I think you should have knocked on wood!

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by plug View Post
    I think you should have knocked on wood!
    Apparently you should have too. 5-2 final. Funny how that happens.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I agree with you on this one, if Fleury does become available, then the teams needing a starting goalie will do what they can to get one..

Calgary should start going for it soon if they aren't already.. Giordano and Wideman aren't getting any younger.. Monahan and Gaudreau are now due 6-8 year deals.. Bennett will be commanding more cash soon.. The Flames are trading 1st rounders for players(Dougie Hamilton)..
    How is Wideman in this concersation? He's an irrelevant third pairing D who might/should get bought out. Trading first round picks for players? I think at least 20 teams in the league (minimum) make that same trade, regardless of "window to win". Hell, Edmonton made almost that exact same trade for Griffin Reinhart. That's just smart asset management. Obviously the contract thing wasn't happening in Boston. Wasn't the best return, but Sweeney had to trade him. But if your GM is telling you he wouldn't trade Senshyn, Forsbacka-Karlsson, and Lauzon for Hamilton, then you should be scared for your franchise. And you should be praying that GM gets fired, soon.

Calgary is gradually entering their window, but not to the point that they're going to pay elite assests for a goalie like Fleury. High 2nd and a middling prospect maybe, but that's it.

Tonight cemented Murray as the Penguins starter, regardless of how game 7 goes. That's my opinion. Fleury simply costs too much for what he gives you. Is he better than Murray? I think yes. Right now isn't really a fair judge, he's been out for basically 2 months. Of course he is rusty. I think peak Fleury is better than current peak Murray. But we aren't in a vacuum. Fleury isn't 5 mil better than Murray, and Pittsburgh needs that cap space.

I'll be shocked if Fleury is in Pittsburgh next year. I think he will end up in Dallas, who should be more willing to give up a good package than a team like Calgary or Toronto.

Dobber Sports Deity

I don't think Fleury loses his starting job next year and I also don't think he gets dealt. It think it was inevitable that Murray was going to be in Pittsburgh next season anyway, backing up up Fleury.

Murray is having a damn fine run, but lots of young goalies have had fine runs in the past but the problem with young goalies is they can run hot and cold. Right now, Murray is the hot goalie.

Fleury is the proven starter; they showed that when they gave him his shot in game five. That wasn't a pity start, they want him in there and wanted him to do well. It didn't work out and this just isn't the time of the year to let him work his game back.

Why would they trade Fleury when they can have both he and Murray there next year. Next season is a whole different year and who knows what Matt Murray the Pens will get. They DO know what Fleury they will get; the same one they've had for years now and that's why they invested in him.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Apparently you should have too. 5-2 final. Funny how that happens.
    Which was the plan, funny how it worked out.