Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Has Murray made Fleury expendable

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Has Murray made Fleury expendable

I always figured that it would be another playoff implosion against the Islanders that finally ended Fleury's time with the Pens...
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I actually find it very funny that some people, even Flames fans, are saying that Fleury for a 2nd rounder is fair.. HaHa.. If that is all Calgary is offering for a starting goalie and a pretty good one at that, then you are going to be waiting a long time for something like that to happen..

Calgary is not in the position to win 2 or 3 rounds in the playoffs, so they might aswell wait on making a deal for that stud starter down the line..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I actually find it very funny that some people, even Flames fans, are saying that Fleury for a 2nd rounder is fair.. HaHa.. If that is all Calgary is offering for a starting goalie and a pretty good one at that, then you are going to be waiting a long time for something like that to happen..

Calgary is not in the position to win 2 or 3 rounds in the playoffs, so they might aswell wait on making a deal for that stud starter down the line..
    Who said it's fair? If that's what market dictates, that's what market dictates. Fact of it is, Fleury is not Schneider, or Jones, or Andersen. He's on the way down, not on the way up. If Pittsburgh is hoping to get a Schneider-like return for Fleury, well then they're going to lose on of Fleury or Murray for nothing in an expansion draft.

Luongo was traded for Jacob Markstrom and Shawn Matthais. Not identical situations, but not totally dissimilar ones either. If you think it's going to be a big haul for Fleury, well, it just won't be.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Who said it's fair? If that's what market dictates, that's what market dictates. Fact of it is, Fleury is not Schneider, or Jones, or Andersen. He's on the way down, not on the way up. If Pittsburgh is hoping to get a Schneider-like return for Fleury, well then they're going to lose on of Fleury or Murray for nothing in an expansion draft.

Luongo was traded for Jacob Markstrom and Shawn Matthais. Not identical situations, but not totally dissimilar ones either. If you think it's going to be a big haul for Fleury, well, it just won't be.
    You are right, Fleury is not Schneider,Jones or Andersen. Fleury has a better track record than them, has actually won something of worth in the NHL(Cup + another SC Final). And don't compare Luongo to Fleury, Luongo has an albatross of a contract. Fleury's contract isn't even close to be that bad.

Fleury had better numbers than Jones or Andersen this year, playing behind a much worse defensive corps also.

NB: I think Schneider is a top5 goalie in the NHL and Fleury a top10ish. But Schneider is not even close to have proven what Fleury does. I mean Fleury is a year older, but he's got more than the double total of wins and games played.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    You are right, Fleury is not Schneider,Jones or Andersen. Fleury has a better track record than them, has actually won something of worth in the NHL(Cup + another SC Final). And don't compare Luongo to Fleury, Luongo has an albatross of a contract. Fleury's contract isn't even close to be that bad.

Fleury had better numbers than Jones or Andersen this year, playing behind a much worse defensive corps also.

NB: I think Schneider is a top5 goalie in the NHL and Fleury a top10ish. But Schneider is not even close to have proven what Fleury does. I mean Fleury is a year older, but he's got more than the double total of wins and games played.
    Fleury is actually almost 2 years older, and Schneider wasn't traded this year. He was traded when he was 27. So that's 5 years difference by the time December rolls around next year. Same with Andersen. Age is key. Teams aren't overpaying for back 9 players anymore.

Dobber Sports Superstar

What would we think are the chances that Calgary is on the list of teams that Fleury would accept a trade to?

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Stud

I would think that Fleury just wants to play somewhere. He still has good years left in him and if Calgary were an option I think he would go there.
    12 Team HTH Keeper
    (F's G=1 A=1, D G=1 A=1, All Skaters PPG=.5, SHG=.5 Goalies W=2 SO=3)

Dress 8 F, 4 D, 2 G weekly

F's-Marner, Rantanen, Crosby, Panarin, Guentzel, Caufield, Kaprizov, Lundell, Tomasino, Holtz, Pavelski, Zuccarello, Hagel, Dach

D-Makar, Josi, Doughty Andersson, AP, Hutson

G-Hellebuyck, Fleury, Comrie, Kochetkov, Wolf, Primeau, Sogaard

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    What would we think are the chances that Calgary is on the list of teams that Fleury would accept a trade to?
    If I had to guess, I'd say Montreal is the only Canadian city that he WOULD accept a trade to. That's probably because he knows the chances of that happening are slim to none.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    If I had to guess, I'd say Montreal is the only Canadian city that he WOULD accept a trade to. That's probably because he knows the chances of that happening are slim to none.
    I doubt if Pittsburgh approaches him about a trade, regardless of his list, he would approve it.

Dobber Sports Genius

*IF* you want to believe the narrative that the NHL will have an expansion draft in the next 12 months *AND* that teams will only allowed to protect one goalie *THEN* the goalie market is going to be flooded prior to the expansion draft with teams trying to retain some value for an asset before losing it for nothing.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Expert

Teams aren't overpaying for back 9 players anymore.
    What? Mind if I disagree here ?

I get your point, but your undervaluing Fleury big time here (and perhaps I'm overvaluing him).

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    *IF* you want to believe the narrative that the NHL will have an expansion draft in the next 12 months *AND* that teams will only allowed to protect one goalie *THEN* the goalie market is going to be flooded prior to the expansion draft with teams trying to retain some value for an asset before losing it for nothing.
    Sure qualifiers. Minus the and, because that part has already been established.

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    What? Mind if I disagree here ?

I get your point, but your undervaluing Fleury big time here (and perhaps I'm overvaluing him).
    I'm not undervaluing Fleury at all. He's a top 10 NHL option. Let me refer to this post, where I said Fleury is very good.

So on one hand, Pittsburgh is great team so Fleury looks like a great goalie. On the other hand, all anyone can talk about all playoffs is Pittsburgh's D is so overmatched compared to the Rangers, Capitals, Lightning, that's their weakness. So which is it? It can't be both. Not to mention Pittsburgh's weakness on D has been mentioned forever. We're not talking about Fleury's win totals here, his actual numbers. Fleury is a top 10 goalie in this league at worst.
    What I truly think is you're overvaluing is demand. What teams are looking for a MAF this season? Toronto, who aren't in a position to give up a lot, because he doesn't fit their window. Calgary, same thing. Dallas, who would be looking to salary dump a different goalie and therefore increase the return.It doesn't matter if Fleury is WORTH 1 or 2 elite pieces, what matters is what people will pay. It's kind've a reverse Stamkos effect. He's only worth 7-8 mil, but someone will pay 10, so he will probably get 10. Fleury might be worth 1 or 2 elite pieces, but if someone is only willing to pay an early 2nd, then that's what he will get.

Dobber Sports Pro

I have not read through the 3 pages of this, but:

All I have to say is "Small Sample Size" and Murray is 21 so he may not be ready for a full NHL starter load, as well as NHL gm's aren't known to give such young players the starting gig in net.

So in summation: No. perhaps in 2-3 years.
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgort View Post
    I have not read through the 3 pages of this, but:

All I have to say is "Small Sample Size" and Murray is 21 so he may not be ready for a full NHL starter load, as well as NHL gm's aren't known to give such young players the starting gig in net.

So in summation: No. perhaps in 2-3 years.
    Expansion draft. Pittsburgh and teams in similar situations don't have 2-3 years.

Dobber Sports Expert

Sure qualifiers. Minus the and, because that part has already been established.

I'm not undervaluing Fleury at all. He's a top 10 NHL option. Let me refer to this post, where I said Fleury is very good.

What I truly think is you're overvaluing is demand. What teams are looking for a MAF this season? Toronto, who aren't in a position to give up a lot, because he doesn't fit their window. Calgary, same thing. Dallas, who would be looking to salary dump a different goalie and therefore increase the return.It doesn't matter if Fleury is WORTH 1 or 2 elite pieces, what matters is what people will pay. It's kind've a reverse Stamkos effect. He's only worth 7-8 mil, but someone will pay 10, so he will probably get 10. Fleury might be worth 1 or 2 elite pieces, but if someone is only willing to pay an early 2nd, then that's what he will get.
    I think Calgary is a team that THINKS they can contend. I can see Dallas offering Nichushkin(clearly not working under Ruff) for Fleury, then find a way to dump a goalie(or two).
    Thing is, there isn't a real prior to a Fleury trade. You stated Luongo before, but Luu's contract made him impossible to trade. While Schneider was 5 years younger when he was traded, he was also really unproven(his body of work suggested that it was a huge risk for the Devils to give up a top10 pick for him).
    Anyway, this is moot, my point was basically that Fleury will net much more than 2nd rounder.