Thread: J.A. Happ

Dobber Sports Titan

Default J.A. Happ

As Jeff Hopkins mentioned in the Baseball ramblings yesterday, Happ's bubble was bound to burst at some point, and oh baby did it leave a mess. Eight runs over two innings tonight, and the Jays are now down 11-1. Now I don't like to count anyone out of a baseball game since there is not time limit and really, anything can happen, but lets chalk this up to a loss and move on.

I want to share a few thoughts I have on Happ. Happ doesn't really strike me as someone who can pull off a full season of great games, as he doesn't really have bat-missing ability (18Ks over his last 28.2in) and doesn't have a high ground ball rate (43.11% - courtesy of sportingcharts). He's a decent guy to have as a later option in the average fantasy league, but if you are relying on him to be as solid as he has been the last few weeks, then you may need to shore up some pitching. He will contribute some good starts and some bad starts over the course of the season, but this is what you get with pitchers, especially ones that can't rely on bigger strikeout numbers to get them out of jams. I'm looking for the Jays to bounce back big tomorrow with Stroman.

I don't own Happ on any of my teams, but now may be the time for me to see if his value is low enough. If you own him and are scared enough by this start that you want to bail, unfortunately now would be the worst time to sell him. Try to wait until after the Minnesota start at least, and then see what slumping starter (from the Houston rotation perhaps) that you could get for him.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: J.A. Happ

I own him in my keeper. He got me some nice points through out the season so far so this game was bound to happen. I am just surprised it took this long.

Oh well, there's always next start.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Yeah, it was surprising that it took so long. The Pittsburgh staff did a great job with his arm angle and his confidence on the mound. Hopefully for the sake of the Jays he bounces back next start.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

The Rays pounded Happ all over the field.. We all knew this was coming sooner or later.. Glad it was against Baltimore, New York, or Boston.. But I'm sure that's coming to a ball park soon!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Deity

Ugh, just looked at my league stats from last night. -44 points from Happ last night. LOL!

Great start to the week.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Ugh, just looked at my league stats from last night. -44 points from Happ last night. LOL!

Great start to the week.
    To get a read on that, what's a normal good/bad night worth?

Dobber Sports Deity

Well that's definitely a bad night. I am not sure I have ever had one that bad before. A good night would be something like what Clayton Kershaw just did in his complete game, 3 hit, 1 walk game with 13K's (along with points for other cats) which saw him put up 79.1 points that night. That's a huge night.

A normal good night in our league will see a starter fetch you somewhere in the 40-50 points. That's usually with a Win, going 7-8 innings, 8-10K's, etc.

Dobber Sports Titan

Wow, that is a really rough night then. Hopefully he can make it back for you soon. Is this a weekly H2H points, or year long league?

Dobber Sports Deity

Weekly points league.

Dobber Sports Titan

Well that's definitely a bad night. I am not sure I have ever had one that bad before. A good night would be something like what Clayton Kershaw just did in his complete game, 3 hit, 1 walk game with 13K's (along with points for other cats) which saw him put up 79.1 points that night. That's a huge night.

A normal good night in our league will see a starter fetch you somewhere in the 40-50 points. That's usually with a Win, going 7-8 innings, 8-10K's, etc.
    So Kerhsaw on the mound? Lol.

Happ was terrible tho, he’d have 2 really good pitches then a dude from the 2ip I saw. Then he’d walk a few, then pin point pitches, then a dude and ugh
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

Weekly points league.
    I have never actually done one of those for Baseball. How do you find it in terms of functionality compared to more standard Roto or H2H with categories?

Dobber Sports Deity

Its no different than being in a points format for hockey leagues. Our opponents change each week and there's 16 teams in the league. Some teams are strong, some are just ok and we have some weak teams. My team is pretty good (5-1 so far this season) so I should be able to bounce back. The guy I'm playing is only 1-5 so he's probably thinking upset already.

Dobber Sports Titan

In hockey leagues like that, I would say the only reason I dislike them is because it's tough to have a strategy of trying to win each week. It becomes more of a brute force kind of thing. I enjoy the thinking behind having multiple categories and building your team around winning 60% of them all the time.