Thread: Top 3 Defencemen

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Top 3 Defencemen

There's a huge debate in the league (real hockey) about who the top D is available in the draft. Fantasy-wise who provides the most offensive upside and who do they each compare to in a 5-10 year window? I would hate for someone to get fooled and take a more stay at home style guy high because Edmonton takes him at 4 and makes it look like he has "pedigree". Whos going to get us points??
    DobberProspects Writer: Ex-Tampa Bay Lightning Prospects, Current New York Rangers Prospects @olaf1393

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Top 3 Defencemen

Really tough to say until we see who goes where. I know that's a cliche answer, but it's especially true here.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Chychrun is still the top guy IMO.... Elite tools, but questions about his hockey sense have been creeping in. Some people say it's a weakness, others say it's overblown. The tools are there though.... Reminds me a lot of Dion Phaneuf.

Juolevi or whatever is obviously the closest competition. Smart player, good skater. Physical tools are all a notch below Chych, except for maybe skating. Could be an Ekman-Larsson type.

Sergaychov is the wild card. Most purely offensive of the three, better skater and vision than Chych, and more prone to rushing the puck himself. But still needs work defensively.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Expert

All three of the above need work to their defensive game. Chychrun is the most well rounded, I'd give better offensive notches to Sergachev and Juolevi however. Sergachev has the best shot of the 3.

Don't discount Bean when looking at defencemen in this draft. He could squeak ahead of Sergachev and be a top 10 pick.

Dobber Sports Initiate

In terms of offensive upside, I think Jake Bean needs to be in the discussion for top-three, probably bumping Juolevi from that 'group'. London was a much more powerful offence and Bean outscored Juolevi by 22 points. The Finn is more of a two-way defender that could turn out to be a better real-life own than fantasy own.

Chychrun and Sergachev also have solid offensive upsides, with the Russian possibly having a higher ceiling there as well.

Pure Offensive Ranking:
    Sergachev
    Bean
    Chychrun
    Juolevi

Overall Ranking:
    Chychrun
    Juolevi
    Sergachev
    Bean
    24 Team H2H Pts Cap Dyn
    4C 4LW 4RW 6D 1G 4B 27M

G (1) A (1) +/- (.25) PIM (.05) SOG (.05) PPP (.5) HIT (.05) BLK (.05) FOW (.01)
    W (1.75) GA (-1) SV (.1) SO (3)

C: Seguin, Kuznetsov, Trocheck, Johansen, Kostin
    LW: Benn, Lindblom, Dickinson, Kubalik
    RW: Tuch, Fabbri, Bjorkstrand, Terry
    D: Klingberg, Chabot, Girard, Spurgeon, C Miller, Theodore, Marino
    G: Hellebuyck, Berdin

C: Elvenes, Vorobyev, Spacek, Jones, Eyssimont, Daviddson, Shvyrev
    LW: Dorofyev, Koivula, Shalagin, Dugan, Cates, Ranta
    RW: Volkov, Fortier, Evans, Blichfeld, Legare, Tieksola
    D: Laaksonen, Gilbert, Pilut
    G: Samsonov, Sorokin, Knight, Zagidulin

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by SensArmy93 View Post
    In terms of offensive upside, I think Jake Bean needs to be in the discussion for top-three, probably bumping Juolevi from that 'group'. London was a much more powerful offence and Bean outscored Juolevi by 22 points. The Finn is more of a two-way defender that could turn out to be a better real-life own than fantasy own.

Chychrun and Sergachev also have solid offensive upsides, with the Russian possibly having a higher ceiling there as well.

Pure Offensive Ranking:
    Sergachev
    Bean
    Chychrun
    Juolevi

Overall Ranking:
    Chychrun
    Juolevi
    Sergachev
    Bean

That's exactly what I think!

Dobber Sports Monster

Crychyun, Juolevi and Sergachev is who I'd put money on. All three have offensive upside and they all should, barring disaster, make the NHL. Bean is a good sleeper pick; a lot of scouts like him but I'm not sure if he compares to that top 3.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Expert

Bean is certainly in the mix to go top 3 out of the dman. His knock is his defensive game, but outside of Chychrun I don't really find any of the other 3 (Bean, Sergachev, Juolevi) to very strong defensively (Juolevi would be next best defensively). The big sleeper is Fabbro who will likely go 4-6 out of the defenceman but has the potential to be an absolute stud and the best out of the class. He was great for Canada at the U18s and was far more impressive than Chychrun.

Dobber Sports Padawan

To me Juolevi is a lot like Duncan Keith. Not a great shot but an absolute beast of a puck mover and money in his own end.

I like the Phanuef comp for Chychrun.

The best I can do watching Sergachev highlights is Provorov, they look freaky similar. I think Provorov goes AHL for half a year if he isn't penciled in for top 4 minutes. I feel Sergachev returns to juniors and might need two years AHL wise.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Sage

I would be (somewhat) surprised if Juolevi isn't the first dman of the board. Can't go wrong with Chycrun either but Juolevi has shown he can be "the guy" in several different levels/types of hockey now.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Chych, Sergy and Bean if all we are talking about is fantasy value potential....Juolevi is a steady dman but will never have the chance to be a fantasy stud...

In terms of overall

Chych, Juolevi, McAvoy..

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by SensArmy93 View Post

Pure Offensive Ranking:
    Sergachev
    Bean
    Chychrun
    Juolevi

Overall Ranking:
    Chychrun
    Juolevi
    Sergachev
    Bean
    I like both of these lists
    14 team h/h dynasty
    Stats, G A PTS PIM +/- PPP SHP GWG shts TOI hts/blks W sv% gaa SO
    $89 mill salary cap, cap hits
    minors- players under 60 gms, goalies under 30 gms
    3c 3lw 3rw 4d 2util 1goal
    max 23 plyr rstr, 15 minors

CENTERS Kuznetsov, Necas, Petterson, Hughes, D.Strome, Seguin, Hayes, Scheifele
    LEFTWING Gaudreau, Mantha, Forsberg, Keller
    RIGHTWING Kakko , Debrincat, Thomas, Konecny
    D-MEN Girard, Provorov, McCavoy, Dobson, Makar
    GOALIES Gibson, Shesterkin, Sorokin
    IR
    MINORS Brannstrom, Kostin, Dennisenko, Kaprizov, Tippett, Cozens, Tolvanen, Zegras, Byfield , Vessalainen, K.Miller, Kyrou, Janik, Bokk, Lundell, Heinola, Hoglander, Lundkvist

Dobber Sports Deity

I think most consider Chychrun, Sergachev and Juolevi to be the top 3 Dmen in this years draft, and I expect them to be the first three off the board, but my sleeper to be become one of the top three when it all comes out in the wash down the road is Charles McAvoy.

From what I have seen/read about him, he's a bit of a gambler but once that gets controlled (and it will with better coaching) he has the skill set to become of the better Dmen out of this draft.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."